Metal: Hellsinger - Rhythm Action FPS Out Now (Also On Game Pass)

moosegrinder

I am using the official Xbox wireless headset and an LG C1 and also had a calibration nightmare. Video lag was 000ms and audio was varying between 060 and 150ms. I ended up manually dropping it to around 090 to get it on the beat (or close).

Played the tutorial and beat the first boss this morning. Game is great fun and seems more responsive than the demo. Can’t wait to see what the modding community do with this as a mix of musical genres and visual styles would be awesome. Hoping someone does a neon-soaked Synthwave Hell with Carpenter Brut and Peturbator tracks.

The calibration is a funny one. I've got 0ms for the TV, but to be honest I'm not sure how much that matters as it's the sound that counts. The first time I did the calibration I got 80ms for the sound, and I was finding it difficult to get perfects through the first two main levels, I then re did it as it just felt off and I got 0ms the next time. Since that point I found it much better. This is running my Series X out through an optical splitter so the sound is going via optical to my amp. I mean there is no way the actual lag is 0ms but as I say it works a charm.

I'm loving the game itself, having played through the first 3 main levels. It's got a nice level of difficulty playing on Goat and I can see me going back for scores etc. The only issue is that after a couple of levels my right hand gets pretty painful with constantly rythmically pressing the trigger.

I still have a lot to learn as different weapons deal better with different enemies, but they then have their own rythms, and then choosing when to switch to the skull to either keep up your multiplier, or to weaken weak enemies so you can do the finisher to regain health. It's wonderful when you reach that state when you realise that you are concentrating and manoveuring and aiming and that you have naturally fallen into the beat with regards to shooting and reloading.

As a boomer shooter fan who grew up playing rhythm games, playing drums in a thrash metal band and listening to Swedish melodic death this is pretty much my perfect game, and boy is it fun. It's great how you can hit things between beats without any penalty (e.g. you can tap reload on 4s or click shoot on 8s between shots as long as you stay on beat). There's more they could do here but it would risk alienating other players - why not have a machine gun that shoots on 16ths but has to be held at the right time (maybe there is one) or drop the windows down to one note per bar in the breakdowns but you do quad damage - make those shots count and really get the gameplay in sync with the music. I guess it's because the music is changing based on your multiplier, but I'm at 16x pretty much all the time and getting into the top 100 on most attempts, at least for now. I've had a few bugs such as weird floating platforms that shouldn't have been there, but it's pretty polished. Worth doing the challenges as you go along I think to stretch out the playtime a bit and unlock everything as you go.

I installed this on Game Pass after liking the demo, and I'm really enjoying it. I've put it on the easiest difficulty as my rhythm action timing isn't what it used to be, but it's still a good challenge. A real treat.

The funniest lower scoring review I've seen of this on Metacritic was from The Torygraph, where the main criticism appears to be that it will not be for everyone as not everyone likes Metal. I mean, duh. Imagine marking it down for it literally delivering on its main USP :lol:

I didn't enjoy the demo of this, but I do quite enjoy the full game - especially the cadence with the shotgun, which suits it perfectly.

I can't quite get the hang of the timing, sometimes my inputs are in good rythym but offset to the beat, but still enjoying it regardless.

1 minute ago, smithstock said:

I didn't enjoy the demo of this, but I do quite enjoy the full game - especially the cadence with the shotgun, which suits it perfectly.

I can't quite get the hang of the timing, sometimes my inputs are in good rythym but offset to the beat, but still enjoying it regardless.

Fiddle manually with the calibration. The tool isn't great.

i was doing ok at hitting stuff on the beat before callibration, but it's better now it's callibrated, so yeah would recommend trying the callibration even if the tool doesn't work for everyone (seemed to work ok for me).

i've reduced the difficulty to easy for opposite reasons to Benny, i'm ok at the rhythm bit but am terrible at games like this, like doom or whatever.

it could do with a pistol whip style vibration on the beat, and increased auto aim maybe.

pretty fun so far though.

• moosegrinder changed the title to Metal: Hellsinger - Rhythm Action FPS Out Now (Also On Game Pass)