rllmuk

PS5 Hardware - The Poll We've All Been Waiting For

PS5 Hardware Poll  

427 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The symmetry is nice until you see it on the side and then it looks like it has gone wrong and burst.

What a design landmark. All the absolute bonkers energy of the PS2 and PS3 combined.

12 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I imagine Sony have done a big fan that’s oriented flat in the console, like in the PS3. Huge thing, drawing in air all the way around one side and expelling it all the way around the other.

Unless it's absolutely huge it's hard to see how that'd be as efficient as Microsoft's approach which leaves the fan more exposed.

I wonder if part of the brief for both of these consoles was that they had to be slightly oddly shaped to reduce the chances people would stack stuff on them. I foolishly left a Sky Q Mini box on top of my One X until I realised just how much heat the damn thing was putting out. I'm convinced it would have killed the Xbox eventually. 

• Upvote 1

I'm worried about the availability of a day 1 pre-order. I know Sony have said Covid hasn't affected their production but I don't believe them. Even without it, I imagine there will only be around 50-100 of them where I live SO I'm trying to imagine which will be the least popular of the two skews to increase my chances. I'm conflicted over what I believe will be most popular? On one side the digital version is cheapest so people will go for that? but according to the poll here it seems people really want a CD still (which surprised me). I might go with CD as that's also the most expensive, so will have less pre-orders?

I don't want to sound like I'm rabidly defending the design or anything, but searching for 'PS5 Mockup' on Google Images, there isn't really anything there that looks fantastically cool, so I'm not sure what design they could have gone for that would immediately get me on board.

Saying that, I quite like this one, but only because it's reminiscent of the original PS1:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.548b54eb2763d1b02c0abae2be316998.png

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Broker said:

It’s incredibly ugly but I like it. Can’t believe so many people are buying the disc drive one.

Unless Sony adopt a 'play it for 2 hours refund policy' for their PSN store, like Steam and Epic have, then I'll always go for the physical media version so that I can sell on the games I've completed or haven't enjoyed.

• Upvote 2
31 minutes ago, robdood said:

It is fucking disgusting. 

Oh God, it really is though. This is an unusually, shockingly bad design.

How embarrassing. n__n;

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Broker said:

It’s incredibly ugly but I like it. Can’t believe so many people are buying the disc drive one.

I mainly buy digital this gen, but I still couldn’t tell you how many games I’ve discovered just by taking a punt on them because the disc was cheap. I don’t want to lose that vector just for the sake of cleaner lines, even if I might go weeks at a time without playing anything other than digital downloads.

Also I still own a lot of movies.

Disc one for me as a lof of games become cheaper months after release physically, whereas the PS store seems to like keeping them at full price for way too long. End up saving more money in the long run that way.

19 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Unless Sony adopt a 'play it for 2 hours refund policy' for their PSN store, like Steam and Epic have, then I'll always go for the physical media version so that I can sell on the games I've completed or haven't enjoyed.

I quite like my persistent collection, I've got everything I've got. Plus I just can't be arsed with selling anymore.

10 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

I mainly buy digital this gen, but I still couldn’t tell you how many games I’ve discovered just by taking a punt on them because the disc was cheap. I don’t want to lose that vector just for the sake of cleaner lines, even if I might go weeks at a time without playing anything other than digital downloads.

Also I still own a lot of movies.

Didn't think about movies, does it play regular Blu-Ray discs? I assume so. Where are you seeing and buying cheap discs though? CEX?