Jump to content
IGNORED

PS5 Hardware - The Poll We've All Been Waiting For


HarryBizzle
 Share

PS5 Hardware Poll  

427 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

As an aside, does anyone ever stand their console vertically?

 

To date, no, but with either of these I'd have no choice. The space where my PS4 lives is probably wide enough, but I doubt tall enough what with its spinning base plate (wouldn't it be hilarious if it actually spun?!). I do have room for an upright, and I think the SX'd be a much better fit there, aesthetically and physically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the design, but them I'm into the weird clean sci-fi aesthetic it has going on.

 

As for disc or drive or not. I voted it depends on price, but in actuality it's going to be more down to download sizes. Having spent almost a week downloading over 100gb of Star Wars Battlefront 2, if they don't rein that shit in then it's disc drive all the way.

 

EDIT: Another note on the design, it could look like a giant dong and I'd still buy it if they actually get a decent fan and it doesn't sound like a jet engine about to take off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Liamness said:

That wouldn't make any sense in terms of material cost - are you suggesting they would subsisdise this version of the console further, anticipating higher revenues per game sold? That would likely really piss off retailers if so. May not matter, they are probably not long for this world.

 

No, I'm just factoring the additional cost of a UHD drive. At retail, an internal UHD Blu Ray drive costs about £75, so with the mark up I can see it being £100 extra. Plus, I think Sony will want to give people a reason to buy the all digital console in order to sabotage the used games market as much as they can, which will get them more money in the long run when people have to use their store to buy games brand new and digital every time.

 

I'd love to be proven wrong, of course. Maybe it'll only be £50 more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jamie John said:

 

No, I'm just factoring the additional cost of a UHD drive. At retail, an internal UHD Blu Ray drive costs about £75, so with the mark up I can see it being £100 extra. Plus, I think Sony will want to give people a reason to buy the all digital console in order to sabotage the used games market as much as they can, which will get them more money in the long run when people have to use their store to buy games brand new and digital every time.

 

I'd love to be proven wrong, of course. Maybe it'll only be £50 more.


That UHD drive you’re buying at retail already has a massive mark-up attached to it. I’d be surprised if it was even a $50 item in the manufacturing costs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks ugly as fuck.  What the fuck were they thinking other than oh shit it runs crazy Hot so we need airflow on all sides, hence it being raised up like that. Also the size of it is just :blink:

 

Given there doesn’t seem to be much noteworthy at launch I can’t already play on PS4, I’m going to try my best to wait for a ps5 slim.  Absolutely no way am I buying an Og ps5 after seeing what went down with the PS4 revisions months after launch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

 

No, I'm just factoring the additional cost of a UHD drive. At retail, an internal UHD Blu Ray drive costs about £75, so with the mark up I can see it being £100 extra. Plus, I think Sony will want to give people a reason to buy the all digital console in order to sabotage the used games market as much as they can, which will get them more money in the long run when people have to use their store to buy games brand new and digital every time.

 

I'd love to be proven wrong, of course. Maybe it'll only be £50 more.

A uhd drive doesn’t have a material cost of £75 , forget the retail cost . 
 

I think it’s going to be £399/£449 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

At retail, an internal UHD Blu Ray drive costs about £75, so with the mark up I can see it being £100 extra.

 

Sony won't be paying retail prices for theirs, for obvious reasons. I don't really know the relation between retail price and bulk wholesale pricing, but it'll cost Sony significantly less than £75 for something that retails for £75.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I quite like it. 

Did vote for the digital one... but if by some miracle it is backwards compatible with ps1 and 2 I’d need the disc one for sure. In fact that would probably make me buy one ASAP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, rafaqat said:

Looks ugly as fuck.  What the fuck were they thinking other than oh shit it runs crazy Hot so we need airflow on all sides, hence it being raised up like that. Also the size of it is just :blink:

I don’t get the size surprise . In terms of volume it’s no bigger that the xsx .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

A uhd drive doesn’t have a material cost of £75 , forget the retail cost . 
 

I think it’s going to be £399/£449 

 

4 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

 

Sony won't be paying retail prices for theirs, for obvious reasons. I don't really know the relation between retail price and bulk wholesale pricing, but it'll cost Sony significantly less than £75 for something that retails for £75.

 

Yes, you're both right. £50 more expensive than the digital version, then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

The London city skyline is really starting to look futuristic

 

London.jpg


 

Oddly enough, when I saw the PS5 I did think it was to console design what the ‘Walkie Talkie’ is to skyscrapers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PeteBrant said:

I don’t get the size surprise . In terms of volume it’s no bigger that the xsx .


Possibly but it just looks much bigger.  And I’m not a fan of the curves either. 
I know my kids are going to nag me for one when their mates get theirs so let’s see how long I actually hold out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jamie John said:

 

 

Yes, you're both right. £50 more expensive than the digital version, then.

That only a guess of course . Depending on where you get it made you take the material cost and add about 20% for your unit cost . Then it depends how much Sony want to charge people for having one .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those who are more than happy to go all digital, I'd encourage you to try out how sharing games on the PS4 works first. I'm currently playing my brother's copy of God Of War and it's quite a pain in the arse tbh. You can only have one PS4 active at a time, so in order to play on a different one, he has to turn his wifi off so I can log onto mine as a guest without being kicked off. Then I still get logged off every time the console turns off (even into rest mode) which deletes all your save data and preferences. So you need to back saves up to USB each time you end a play session. Then when you want to start things up again, you have to log on again, copy the save back, change any settings that got reset (I've noticed the controller brightness likes to go back to max, which saps battery life and reflects off the TV).

 

Massive PITA. Compare this to say, Steam where as long as you're not logged on at the the same time you can play to your hearts content, without needing to change profiles. Plus obviously save files and preferences don't get wiped because I doubt Valve could implement that even if they wanted to. Obviously one solution to this is to not be a cheapskate and just buy the game - but I wanted to see if it was possible. Answer to that is yes, but tbh I'd rather have just paid up at this point.

 

I had a very strong negative reaction to seeing the design initially, but it does make a little more sense when you consider how massive it is.

 

1 minute ago, Gambit said:

As for disc or drive or not. I voted it depends on price, but in actuality it's going to be more down to download sizes. Having spent almost a week downloading over 100gb of Star Wars Battlefront 2, if they don't rein that shit in then it's disc drive all the way.

 

I download most games over a mobile hotspot these days, just to avoid such situations. If you have LTE in your area, that's going to be much faster than ADSL, at least when the network is not congested. I can't imagine next gen games will be so huge that you won't easily be able to download them overnight using LTE.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mike S said:


 

 But, visually, it is so much larger.

Well being white doesn’t help that . But also cos all the side by sides are in 2 dimensions . In the flesh I suspect the comparisons might be a bit less stark 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Always, when the console is capable. 

 

Madness!

 

22 minutes ago, Escaped said:

 

To date, no, but with either of these I'd have no choice. The space where my PS4 lives is probably wide enough, but I doubt tall enough what with its spinning base plate (wouldn't it be hilarious if it actually spun?!). I do have room for an upright, and I think the SX'd be a much better fit there, aesthetically and physically.


Potential madness!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PeteBrant said:

Well being white doesn’t help that .


 

Well, no, but that is exactly the point. It is an incredibly intrusive design, exaggerated by the ludicrous colour scheme.

 

One thing though, it is so hideous that I keep overlooking the tacky blue lighting.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

I don’t get the size surprise . In terms of volume it’s no bigger that the xsx .


I think it’s the design, which has these thin fins and stuff that make you picture something small and lean. The folds of the white plastic wrap say “magazine” but the dimensions say “necronomicon”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like it, although I think the discless one looks a lot better than its bigger brother. I'll probably end up getting that version anyway, as the Series X will have a drive and I only need one blu-ray player under the TV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.