rllmuk
HarryBizzle

PS5 Hardware - The Poll We've All Been Waiting For

PS5 Hardware Poll  

427 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Freeman said:

You still can't resell them, and also, I doubt you'll be able to re-download them again in 10-15 years time, though I appreciate this comment is less relevant to PS and Xbox due to the number of game fixing patches.  I guess Switch might be the last console we can actually say physical makes sense so you can still play when it's retro...

Sure, and like I said it's good that there's a choice for people that want to resell their games. I'm just saying it's not an issue for myself and many others.

Redownloading in the future is a valid point too, but should hopefully be less of an issue with the move to better backwards compatibility support. On PC for instance it's pretty rare that games are removed from Steam, and when they are they're still available for download for people that have already bought them. You can still purchase and download 360 and BC OG Xbox games digitally, and the same goes for PS3 games on the PS store. And like you say, without access to patches should stores go down this is becoming a bit of an academic argument. 

It is important that old games remain available when new hardware comes out, although I think it's more important that they're also playable on said new hardware. In reality I'm unlikely to dig up one of my old consoles and set it all up under the TV just to play one old game. I'm about to have to face the reality that I'm going to have to sell all my old consoles as my parents are tidying up their loft.:ph34r:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Another comparison picture. It seems to be over twice the size of the PS4. 

comparasioniykr9.jpg

You've almost got to admire the sheer audacity of designing a console which looks like that. I think they deserve credit for creating something bold, which they must have known would be divisive. I'm honestly in two minds about it. The asymmetry of the design caused by the placement of the disc drive grates, particularly when its stood vertically. It looks better when laying horizontally and I really do like the top with the fans flanked by soft LED's and the white plastic shell. Yeah, I think whatever else you can say about it, it's bold, where you go after that will come down to if you like your tech understated or with a futuristic vibe.

It's also worth noting that the size of the PS4 really does betray what an underpowered generation we've just had. 

• Upvote 2

When I buy games digitally, I can download them and play them for the typical 10 hours I do before I give up on something, but I also get to tell my wife it's just a demo. DIGITAL WINS.

It took my lad a year to realise The Division 2 hadn't remained open to me to play because of a glitch on PSN.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Freeman said:

You still can't resell them, and also, I doubt you'll be able to re-download them again in 10-15 years time

You'd be surprised how many 360 games I can still download and run then - there's the ones where the licences have expired.

As for PC... 

13 minutes ago, Liamness said:

I don't think it'll stop the long term trend, but it might mean more mid-size publishers take risks on ambitious singleplayer games. It feels at the moment there are indie titles and massive blockbusters and not really that much in between.

I would wager that there are more of these mid-sized games than ever before, with developers like Deep Silver, THQ Nordic basically doing little else. Even Ninja Theory self published Hellblade before they were bought out.

5 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Another comparison picture. It seems to be over twice the size of the PS4. 

comparasioniykr9.jpg

It looks like complete shit. So far 65% of people surveyed here can't bring themselves to like the design. Where were Sony's focus groups?

They beat the PS3 in the ugly console stakes. I look forward to the curveless PS6 when I'm... 50. /dead

2 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

It looks like complete shit. So far 65% of people surveyed here can't bring themselves to like the design. Where were Sony's focus groups?

They beat the PS3 in the ugly console stakes. I look forward to the curveless PS6 when I'm... 50. /dead

It's a big black blob if they don't try and shape it. You can see why they thought they should, and perhaps the curve helps airflow or something.

Compared to the Series X, at least it will fit in the majority of tv stands (if not all).

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Here'a recent example. I bought Doom Eternal (£37.95) and Resident Evil 3 (£38.95) on preorder.

After I finished them both, I posted them to CEX for free and got £72 cash back. It cost me £4.90 to play both of those, less if you consider the cashback from TCB, and never mind I sold the lenticular sleeve that came with RE3 for £33 on it's own ....

A lot of faffing around though?

Anyhow there a few reasons I like digital over physical.

• No packaging. No wasted plastic or transport costs etc. So better for the environment 
  • More proceeds ultimately go to to the actual developers on older in the sale titles (than if I buy a preowned version)
  • Don't take space up. Big plus for me
  • A digital copy can't get damaged
  • Download instantly not having to wait for delivery 
  • I'm lazy and I don't have to swap disks/carts. 
  • In the case of the Switch all my games are on the console so always with me should I want to use it in the go.

GamePass has been a revelation for me always find something to play in there and only £4 PCM (PC). Exclusives are on there day one too.

OK DRM and the fact that they have effective control of your library is something but never had any problems so far accessing my content.

Edited by MattyP
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Freeman said:

You still can't resell them, and also, I doubt you'll be able to re-download them again in 10-15 years time, though I appreciate this comment is less relevant to PS and Xbox due to the number of game fixing patches.  I guess Switch might be the last console we can actually say physical makes sense so you can still play when it's retro...

I don't know for sure because I don't have a Switch but my understanding was that quite a few of the physical game carts don't contain all the game and need a download to get the full game; BioShock collection being the latest one I can think of, so even the Switch might not be the last bastion of physical media :unsure: I hate that we're heading to an all digital future. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Zombait said:

I don't know for sure because I don't have a Switch but my understanding was that quite a few of the physical game carts don't contain all the game and need a download to get the full game; BioShock collection being the latest one I can think of, so even the Switch might not be the last bastion of physical media :unsure: I hate that we're heading to an all digital future. 

This is correct, but it's fairly rare, and it's up front and in your face when you buy the physical game:

image.png.976b70f980cbe7ef1c1820319d5333c3.png

This is because Nintendo (perhaps stupidly?) allowed the publisher to decide how big the game card they wanted their game on was, which meant some could cheap out on a less storage but cheaper physical element.

It looks even better on a multi-lingual game box...

image.png.7fc6ed506a15a538552b4f91860bbc21.png

• Upvote 1

I think the console looks gorgeous and the fact that i have currently 0 ps4 disk games tells me i should be getting the digital.

Plus me and @mackenie game share so it halfs the price of new games for us.

• Upvote 1

Actually, I may go for the disc version if it plays Dolby Vision 4k discs.

On 12/06/2020 at 14:29, Peb Kacharach said:

That’d basically be asking people to leak the design months in advance. The Xbox 360’s general appearance was well known before it was announced for this reason, although nobody quite got it right in mock ups.

The next 2 years of original version sales will focus group the next design.

All I could think of when they unveiled it was that it looks like its gonna take a toddlers eye out at some point. I think it looks pretty tacky really. But the pad looks promising.

• Upvote 1

On 12/06/2020 at 14:29, Peb Kacharach said:

I think it's ok, not great, but mainly because the white makes it look cheap. Black or Anthracite even would look much better. 

Now there's an idea....

https://plasti-kote.co.uk/inspiration