rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Mighty Ash

Next Gen Vote - Which will you get at launch?

Next Gen  

244 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mainly due to the game pass and BC I’ll go for an Xbox at launch - I’ll probably pick up a PS a bit down the line - maybe once they redesign the thing or bring it out in black :)

• Upvote 2

I've got a gaming PC already so an XSX is pretty redundant to me. If the PS5 is PS4 backwards compatible out of the box, and it enhances PS4 games, then I'll probably get one at launch if it's sub £500.

• Upvote 1

Neither until something as awesome as Bloodborne is announced as a non-pc exclusive. 

Could be waiting a while, I guess.. 

• Upvote 4

Genuinely I’ll buy whichever one is quieter. I’ve had enough of my PS4 sounding like it’s about to go into orbit. 

At the moment I’m assuming that’ll be the Xbox, and Game Pass sweetens the deal. 

• Upvote 2

At launch? Probably nothing - I'll see how long my PC can keep up (or I'll just continue catching up on this gen! :blush: ) and wait for first impressions.

• Upvote 1

The correct answer, as ever, is whichever console ends up having the better exclusives, and unless Microsoft have been seriously busy wheeling and dealing with a shedload of studios, I can't see their exclusive output competing with Sony's. At some point, the PS5 will have God of War 2, the next Naughty Dog game, Bloodborne 2 and the next Ueda title, and that's enough to sell it for me.

I'll likely get a PS5 at some point due to an exclusive. No point buying a XsX as I have a more powerful PC already which will get all the MS exclusives.

• Upvote 5

Both consoles exclusives seem to include PC now, see Deathloop and Project Athia

So I’ll hang out there and enjoy both, that’ll be an interesting battleground this gen.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

I'll likely get a PS5 at some point due to an exclusive. No point buying a XsX as I have a more powerful PC already which will get all the MS exclusives.

Do we know yet what the GPUs in the PS5 and XSX are the PC equivalents of?

Just now, Jamie John said:

Do we know yet what the GPUs in the PS5 and XSX are the PC equivalents of?

Digital Foundry seem to think a 2080 for the Xbox and a 2070super for the PS5.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Digital Foundry seem to think a 2080 for the Xbox and a 2070super for the PS5.

Seeing as 2080s are at least £600 by themselves at the moment, if MS can get the price of the XSX down to less than £500, and they come with the UHD disc drive and console-optimised games, that'll be pretty good value, really.

• Upvote 1

I doubt I will get any of them at launch.

It feels like this gen is being forced upon us, we have to upgrade just because Sony have decided it is time to upgrade. The new console appears to provide the smallest of incremental benefits compared to previous generational leaps. 

• Upvote 6

I was Mega-hyped about the next generation... then I watched the PS5 reveal event. 

4K gaming does still have its appeal but I didn’t see anything that really got me on-board. 

It all felt so incremental. My PS4 slim has loads of games that look incredible to me - I was expecting a level above all that but it failed to materialise. 

• Upvote 3

I don’t intend to get either at launch. Later on, it depends on the price and what games are available.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully Nintendo got some plans for the rest of the year because there seem to be nothing of interest for these next gen launches.

Probably neither at launch but the PS5 reveal confirmed that it will likely have weird exclusive games I will want, so I imagine I'll get one at some point.

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

Both consoles exclusives seem to include PC now

Had this been confirmed or is it just wishful thinking? 

At launch, PS5.

Later, the updated versions of both of them.

SX, surprisingly, though I doubt at launch. Could change again, obviously. If the PS5 had fancy 1/2/3 BC there'd be no contest, but as well as that they've left so many of their old classics unloved (ruined others), as we approach another largely multiplat era.

The PS5 looks like it's gonna be noisier and possibly more expensive, and I need USB ports for my MixAmp and HDMI splitter.

6 hours ago, the_debaser said:

It feels like this gen is being forced upon us

People have been saying that since the 360 launched. I'd feel the same if not for the SSDs, but we have to jump sometime. The one thing I don't like about new gens is how they're a licence for shinier versions of same ol' games. If we could extend a gen to a full decade I'd like to think that some new ideas would flourish, but there's no guarantee.

• Upvote 1

PS5. If GT7 is a launch game, I’ll get it at launch. If not, I’ll wait. There was very little else in that hour that tickled my fancy and my PS4 pro can last quite a bit longer if need be. 

9 hours ago, Qazimod said:

At launch? Probably nothing - I'll see how long my PC can keep up (or I'll just continue catching up on this gen! :blush: ) and wait for first impressions.

This is where I'm at with the new consoles. Any money I have for gaming is firmly set aside for getting a newer GPU for my PC at the moment.

I'll have a look at the new consoles again next year. Nothing has really impressed me much so far from either camp in terms of exclusive software - and the exclusives for Xbox I can get on the PC thanks to MS as well as the third party games. 

When and if my PC starts to struggle a bit though with later games and needs a bigger upgrade might be a decision between spending the money on the upgrade or a Xbox Series X or it's cheaper all digital version though because I'll be in MS's ecosystem and all the content I own currently and game saves etc will just carry over seamlessly. 

Not that I can ever rule out a PS5 just need *that* game to get an exclusive release on it that I can't get anywhere else then I'll pick one up. Although don't expect it to be for a while don't even think GT7 will do it this time because I want to play racers in VR now and already bought into VR on the PC with my recent Oculus Rift purchase. 

So it'll be Xbox going forward for me at the moment whether on PC or a MS gaming device! I can see a Series X at some point sitting nicely on top of my PC at some point though.   They have very similar asthetics. (Love my Fractal Design case).

Oh forgot. Will pick up the next Nintendo console for sure. :) Always need some Nintendo magic in my life. Switch has been grest. Hope they don't bollocks up the backward compatibility as I've invested a fair bit it digital titles this gen. But well. It is Nintendo. Although they used to have a good track record for backward compatibility. We can hope....

• Upvote 1

It feels like this gen is being forced upon us, we have to upgrade just because Sony have decided it is time to upgrade. The new console appears to provide the smallest of incremental benefits compared to previous generational leaps. 

This, yes. They shouldn't have done the PS4 Pro. It just spoiled the market. 

• Upvote 1

Couldn’t agree more with this. Yesterday, I was playing RDR2 on my bone S on my old 1080p tv and thinking how amazing it looks.

Everyone else seems to be mega hyped for the New Gen (even my daughter who is extremely excited about the PS5) but there simply seems no need for it. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, alex3d said:

This, yes. They shouldn't have done the PS4 Pro. It just spoiled the market. 

I know but MS pushed out the X too. Hopefully they won't do this again but sadly I think there is an appetite for it as sales for the Pro/X were not bad. 

I expect they'll be another bunch of consoles along in around 3-4 years time. Bigger SSDs, more memory and a beefier GPU. People like new toys although the current economic climate might change the appetite for that!

2 minutes ago, sandman said:

Couldn’t agree more with this. Yesterday, I was playing RDR2 on my bone S on my old 1080p tv and thinking how amazing it looks.

Everyone else seems to be mega hyped for the New Gen (even my daughter who is extremely excited about the PS5) but there simply seems no need for it. 

We getting grumpy and old?! :D

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, MattyP said:

We getting grumpy and old?! :D

Definitely. 

I might get a new console when they launch simply because Mrs Sandman has already said I could (this is something that NEVER HAPPENS)

• Upvote 1