IGNORED

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

BitterToad

25 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's shorter than the original spidey, but is still a full game worth full price in my opinion. It's nowhere near a mere expansion.

Cool. I’ll grab it from shopto then. Seems to be the cheapest place at the moment.

Finished it, loved it. Way better than the original game imho, for various reasons:

-shorter game makes for a superior experience. The story in the original felt stretched out and gathering collectibles went on for too long. In this one it's all pitched exactly right, nothing outstays its welcome.

- better story, and not just for the reason stated above about not feeling stretched out - it's also because Miles is far more enjoyable and sympathetic character than Peter. 

- better combat and stealth, not just because it's refined but also because Miles' unique abilities fit perfectly. Invisibility for stealth, electrical explosions for melee.

- no shitty MJ stealth filler sections. All killer in this one.

- obviously it looks waaaay better. I first dive into the 30FPS with ray tracing mode, which looked nice, but switching to performance at 60 without rt simply blew my mind. It's spectacular.

It isn't *too* short either, I'd argue that this length is about right. New game plus is there for those who want that.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

- obviously it looks waaaay better. I first dive into the 30FPS with ray tracing mode, which looked nice, but switching to performance at 60 without rt simply blew my mind. It's spectacular.

Interesting as I thought the ray tracing might make the world feel more real and alive.

1 minute ago, scoobysi said:

Interesting as I thought the ray tracing might make the world feel more real and alive.

Nope. Proper gimmick that you just won't notice unless you're just standing still. 60fps feels significantly more "next-gen" than RT at 30fps. Of course, this is all entirely subjective. :)

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Nope. Proper gimmick that you just won't notice unless you're just standing still. 60fps feels significantly more "next-gen" than RT at 30fps. Of course, this is all entirely subjective. :)

Calling it a “gimmick” is just horribly reductive and disrespectful. 
The lighting, shadows and reflections all receive a massive upgrade with it turned on, and I found it properly awe inspiring. 

60 fps makes the game more fun though. The combat just flows and has that much more of an arcadey feel at 60... but it’s tough to choose :( 

I guess PS6 might have both at the same time! 

Yep, ray tracing mode is clearly the most visually appealing, nothing gimmicky at all. I’m pretty evenly switching between modes but always before actually starting the game, to prevent a jarring noticeable change in framerate or visual fidelity.

On the one hand it’s nice to have a choice between the two, on the other it’s a bit weird to be made actively aware of the limitations of your brand new console and that not until a PS6 (or mid-gen upgrade) we will see the best of both modes combined. 

Just finished Spidey for the first time today. Spent a bit of time on it's DLC and found it boring so decided to fire this up... only a couple of hours in but the difference between the two games is astounding. The combat right from the start feels like the perfect follow on from the first and you don't have to earn the simpler moves. Prefered the tutorials too as they did a better job of teaching you stuff. In the first I kept forgetting how to do things with just text messages but here you get proper demonstrations and its great.

54 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Calling it a “gimmick” is just horribly reductive and disrespectful. 

Lolwut! :lol: Disrespectful to what or whom, exactly?

My comment is not reductive either...

gimmick

noun

a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or trade.

The RT in this game absolutely is a textbook gimmick. There is no appreciable difference to how the  game plays when played with RT on, if anything it makes the game worse because it's not as smooth due to the limit of 30fps. RT is only in games this gen purely so that the devs can say "we have RT in our game", and generate sales. It's a gimmick. Don't get me wrong, it's an incredibly nice gimmick when it works, such as Control on PC. But it's still a gimmick, without which Control would still be a fucking great game. :)

The same goes for HDR in movies. Right now Into the Spider-verse is available on Netflix, and many are loving watching it. No HDR. It's still a great movie. I have the 4k UHD with HDR, it looks better to me, but it's still the same film.

And for me, other than fancy reflections, I saw very little difference between the two modes in Miles Morales. In fact I believe I posted two comparable screenshots earlier in this thread where, to my eyes, the 60fps mode shot looked better. The performance bump to 60fps was and still is far more welcome, for me. :)

Edit: Here...

Obviously it's all subjective. But in performance mode the game looked way more smooth and solid and lifelike to me. I played it on a brand new fancy LG OLED and I was mesmerized. Astonishingly beautiful. With RT on the overall visual quality takes such a heavy hit, that it looks way worse to me. You're constantly moving really fast in this game and the extra shinies don't make up for the loss elsewhere. For me, at least.

I started playing this on a simple 1080p LED before the LG arrived halfway through. If anything, playing it on the big OLED made the 30FPs even more noticeable I thought. In performance mode it really looks impressively next gen to me. In quality mode, not so much. So as far as I'm concerned, based on this one game and singular experience - I have to say I'd rather not have rt if it means sacrificing the framerate. Again, subjective, but it's not even close in my eyes. It's so goddamn beautiful in performance mode I honestly wondered why it wasn't called quality instead.

34 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Aren’t all graphical techniques gimmicks, by this yardstick? Should we all just cop to it and move to all-greybox design and save us all a lot of money?

True, but gimmicks usually stop being gimmicks when they simply become the norm. Ray Tracing is a gimmick for this new generation of consoles, but will become the norm in due course. :)

HDR isn't a fucking gimmick for fuck's sake fucking hell I'm just going to bed gonna smash my brains out on the corner of the bedside table until the inside of my head is more outside than in and just go to sleep and try to forget fuck this smash smash smash smash smash smash 

Not every opinion has to be AMAZING or FUCKING SHIT consider the shades of grey for fuck's sake 

Smash smash smash smash smash smash smash smash 

But it is a stupid thing to say. You're obviously not stupid but that's a stupid thing to say. It's like saying that shutter speed or aperture is a gimmick because it's the same picture. It's like saying that stereo is a gimmick. Salt is a gimmick. No, it's ignorance. 

1 hour ago, Marlew said:

But it is a stupid thing to say. You're obviously not stupid but that's a stupid thing to say. It's like saying that shutter speed or aperture is a gimmick because it's the same picture. It's like saying that stereo is a gimmick. Salt is a gimmick. No, it's ignorance. 

I'll admit, HDR wasn't the best example, at least, it's definitely not now. Back when HDR first came on the scene a lot of early TVs claimed to do HDR but didn't really, they didn't have the peak brightness for it, they just processed the HDR signal - twas a gimmick. HDR is definitely more than a gimmick these days. Ray Tracing will also be more than a gimmick, in time. 

Your initial reaction was somewhat over the top...

On the final straight on this now - think I have 4 missions left to complete. All side stuff done (bar acing it with the best score/time etc). It's just such a good continuation of all the best bits of the last game, but tighter and super interesting. It's also pretty challenging in places.

Not sure I'll New Game+ it, but then I never did in the original. What I may do is get the remaster and do the DLC though.

The absence of load times make this an astounding arcade game and show gloriously what a game changer SSDs are for this gen. I can have a quick game while my tea is brewing. Incredible.

I've completed a NG+ run (on the next difficulty up from default.) It's quite a fun time - the extra couple of capabilities and gadget upgrades don't add a huge amount, but the game's short enough that you can whizz through the main story and have a fun time before getting bored.

I'm surprised at how little conversation there seems to be on here about this game, despite lots of people who seem to have it. Lots of chat about how generalities, like how good it feels, how it's more streamlined, but nothing much about the detail of it at all.

I finished it the other day, and thought it was pretty much perfect for what it is. It's streamlined in all the ways previously mentioned, but the characters and storytelling are done well, too. Re: the ending:

Spoiler

I thought it was excellent. The boss fights themselves were a little bit iffy and drawn out, but the ending with Phin was done really well and made me a bit emotional. I think Insomniac have been pretty good in that department in general. Pete's hatred and anger towards Doc Oc at the end of the last game was pretty brilliant, too.

I think the one issue I can see going forward, (especially given the "post credits" bit) is that I have absolutely no interest in playing another Peter Parker game, for multiple reasons - because he is a much more boring character than Miles, because it feels like such a wasted opportunity when you've got a wonderfully diverse cast here, and because I really like the camouflage/Venom powers.