IGNORED

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

BitterToad

I went back to OG Spider-Man last night on the PS5 Remaster (just to quickly clock the new trophies for a 100x combo and clearing out a base untouched) and I sort of agree that a Peter Parker game would feel a little of a step back. Pete just doesn't have the cool new powers and I missed them.

What I would play though, is what I suspect they'll make: a Pete and Miles team-up game where you play a bit as both (and maybe discover Gwen?) I think they'd need to do some work to differentiate Peter in that - at present, he's just Miles without the extra powers and he'd have to bring something to the party - but, with where the story is clearly being laid to head

Spoiler

Clearly, you have a Harry Osborn-related Venom issue in creation and presumably Fisk is pretty annoyed with both Spider-Men

A team-up game would be cool.

But I agree with you that I think Insomniac have mostly been excellent at nailing the character notes

Spoiler

Whilst it was a little hard to believe Phin would go from surrogate sister figure to being willing to kill Miles so fully, you could at least follow her motivations. And Mum and Ganke and Aaron were all believable and real and added weight to the setup.

Re: Phin:

Spoiler

Was she ever really fully ready to kill Miles, though? There's like 3 or 4 points in the game where she can kill him - even after she leaves him in the subway and says next time she'll kill him, where she doesn't.

I thought the bit of them falling together, and him holding her, and her essentially doing similar for him with her jump, were wonderful little moments which outweighed any minor gripes I had about how they got to that point.

Spoiler

I felt like she was, if not happy to kill him, at least prepared for that to be the outcome at the end. (obvs not actually the end end.) There was a lot of warning off and trying to get past him, but I didn't feel in doubt that she was prepared to kill Miles.

Yeah, I’d agree, but there was clearly plenty of conflict there, which made it more believable. 

Miles mum was done pretty well for someone who doesn’t get that much screen time, too. She’s a bit too perfect but it’s done well enough to not be an issue. The follow up phone call with her after the ending was really nice, too.

Spoiler

When she tells Miles that people are complex and that he doesn’t have to have an opinion on what Phin did. 

Completed it a few days ago and I think Insomniac is doing this stuff better than the recent live-action films. 

Spoiler

They're really good at tragic villains, both Octavius in the first game (loved his cameo in the flashback scene at the science fair) and Phin in this. It hit the right notes for me.

On the gameplay side of things, I think Miles is definitely more fun to play as than Peter. Both his venom powers and his camouflage add a lot to the combat system and make the stealthy approach way more fun. I also think the side-content in this is better and more varied and as someone who often stuggles with the bloat of open world games, I actually think the shorter length is a plus.

Oh, and the music is excellent. That montage scene was ace.

Yep, I'd argue this game is more Spider-Man than Spider-Man. ;)

Seriously though, and I've said this earlier in the thread, the Roxxon bases in particular provide far more scope for actual Spider-Manning than the first game.

The game has a lot of heart, though in fairness that is built on the foundation of the first game, as Uncle Mike alludes to with his comment about Gloria. And it is nice to see what are usually characters that are forgotten in sequels get some actual development. :)

Also, let's not forget some nice representation for the disabled too.

I had one horrible crash near the end. The screen froze and it put out an ear splitting noise that had me fumbling for the mute button.

Was then unresponsive to any button until I put it in safe mode, did system and ext. HDD rebuild.

I started last night, seems rather short, already at 70% completion

Have been doing everything too, so there is nothing left on the map at the moment, although just unlocked the sounds quest

Pretty sure I will have it finished by the end of the weekend, although not sure if I will do NG+ yet

Finished it last night, and immediately started NG+ (so much for not being sure if I was going to do it)  Already 2/3 through the main story missions

I don't think its anywhere near as good as the first game, I even think they could have done this as a meaty DLC expansion pack, rather than a new game

I’ve finished the story (AMAZING, especially the finale) but was struggling to see how to start NG+. I started a new game on the highest difficulty thinking it would also give me the NG+ option but seemed to just start a fresh game. What am I doing wrong?

Also, the soundtrack for this is fantastic. Compliments some of the absolute bangers that were already out there from Into the Spiderverse beautifully. Peter Parker will always be my favourite Spider-Man but Miles Morales really is every bit as special for different reasons.

8 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

I’ve finished the story (AMAZING, especially the finale) but was struggling to see how to start NG+. I started a new game on the highest difficulty thinking it would also give me the NG+ option but seemed to just start a fresh game. What am I doing wrong?

Also, the soundtrack for this is fantastic. Compliments some of the absolute bangers that were already out there from Into the Spiderverse beautifully. Peter Parker will always be my favourite Spider-Man but Miles Morales really is every bit as special for different reasons.

Highlight original save and press Square (I think), it'll then open an NG+ save in a new slot. 

Cheers @Thor will get that setup tonight.

Seeing the chat around Miles powers making Peter slightly redundant and I don’t see it. There were lots of times were I was looking for a Web Bomb, Web Mine or the accelerated focus to chain lots of takedowns together and obviously didn’t have them. The Venom stuff is great but it certainly didn’t feel like it replaced all of the brilliant stuff Peter has. It’s really cleverly judged I think.

Clearly some of kind coop based sequel will be the greatest game ever made :)

Oh and it will be called Spider-Man Too :lol:

Given how these games have veered away from the plots of the movies and comics, is anyone else thinking the game calling Mile's power "Venom" is a little bit of foreshadowing?

Also, I noticed something when playing last night - a cop shouted "PDNY" not "NYPD" - are these games in a different 'verse? ;) Of course, it's probably just a little nod to the movie. :)

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Also, I noticed something when playing last night - a cop shouted "PDNY" not "NYPD" - are these games in a different 'verse? ;) Of course, it's probably just a little nod to the movie. :)

I'm pretty sure "NYPD" is a trademark, or otherwise owned by the city, so you can't use it in a commercial product without permission. Believe The Division avoided using it, too, outside the very first gameplay reveal.

It's similar to how some landmark buildings in the game have been genericised; the Chrysler building was in the 2018 release but couldn't be relicensed, for example.

50 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I'm pretty sure "NYPD" is a trademark, or otherwise owned by the city, so you can't use it in a commercial product without permission. Believe The Division avoided using it, too, outside the very first gameplay reveal.

Oh, I had no idea. :)

in other news, "best fries in town" :wub:

This was absolutely fantastic. The tweaks and improvements they’ve made over the base game are thoughtful and meaningful, and the ability to play in 60fps (or have some gaudy reflections, if you’re insane) is a huge boost. You can check out the ray tracing at any time by looking at photo mode, which is a really smart use of it!

But man, Miles is so iconic. It helps that the writing, direction and performances were top-tier. The story totally gripped me and I felt full of emotion at the end. I played the whole thing with the Spiderverse suit and mods (which look awful in fidelity mode, but look great in performance!) because I’m a huge Spiderverse fan and it really added to the experience for me. 

The beats in this kept hitting for me from the opening sequence right up until it ended. There was lots of subtle and tasteful attempts at inclusion, loads of worldbuilding and flavour, and the confidence and swagger they’ve shown right across the board is staggering. Polish, gameplay, writing, direction, audio, integrity, purity, focus and growth. I loved it. 

Having started this in Performance Mode for an hour or so, thinking it was surely the only way, I switched to Fidelity just for some A:B action. After about 10 seconds I quickly got used to it and realised that the lighting and overall world presentation is markedly more beautiful this way. If your brain is able to process 30fps, it's actually a wonderful way to play the game. It gives it a different feel, certainly, it doesn't feel as accelerated, but it's very leisurely eye candy. It's not just about reflections but the overall lighting system, it feels much smarter and more cohesive, less like a pristine series of assets and more like an environment. And then when I fancied the sense of speed and doing a few tricks, I switched to Performance. It's also fantastic, and it's great to be able to appreciate and enjoy both modes.