Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

27 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Having started this in Performance Mode for an hour or so, thinking it was surely the only way, I switched to Fidelity just for some A:B action. After about 10 seconds I quickly got used to it and realised that the lighting and overall world presentation is markedly more beautiful this way. If your brain is able to process 30fps, it's actually a wonderful way to play the game. It gives it a different feel, certainly, it doesn't feel as accelerated, but it's very leisurely eye candy. It's not just about reflections but the overall lighting system, it feels much smarter and more cohesive, less like a pristine series of assets and more like an environment. And then when I fancied the sense of speed and doing a few tricks, I switched to Performance. It's also fantastic, and it's great to be able to appreciate and enjoy both modes. 

On this subject, I recorded a vid of the same section I took two screenshots of a while back - @HarryBizzle thought they were stupid examples, but...

Check out the reflections in the wet part of the road. First up is Performance mode with no ray tracing; second is Fidelity mode, supposedly with ray traced reflections, but if that's the case why do they not appear to reflect the fire as well as in performance mode? 

Honestly, reflective windows aside, the RT in this game isn't all that, and certainly isn't worth the drop to 30fps. 

edit: But then I see something like this:

And ... wow! :lol: Of course, that's the remaster of the original. But still, I can't deny that it looks fucking glorious there. :)

I suppose, either way, it's great we have the option, the ability to choose. Long may that continue. :)

In the post you quoted, I said that it's not just about reflections but the overall lighting system, and I didn't mention Ray Tracing, so I'm not sure what to make of your post. The lighting is undoubtedly better overall. That aside, I appreciate the Digital Foundry skills and that anomaly is a great spot! 

40 minutes ago, Marlew said:

In the post you quoted, I said that it's not just about reflections but the overall lighting system, and I didn't mention Ray Tracing, so I'm not sure what to make of your post. The lighting is undoubtedly better overall. That aside, I appreciate the Digital Foundry skills and that anomaly is a great spot! 

Hey, I'm not having a pop, just making a comparison between the two modes. 

As for lighting, I'm not seeing much of a difference to be honest.

Edit: I'll tell you where I am seeing a difference: Hair. Everyone's hair, especially Phin's, looks far more natural in Fidelity mode. This is most noticeable in cutscenes where there are close-ups of people.

1 hour ago, Marlew said:

Having started this in Performance Mode for an hour or so, thinking it was surely the only way, I switched to Fidelity just for some A:B action. After about 10 seconds I quickly got used to it and realised that the lighting and overall world presentation is markedly more beautiful this way. If your brain is able to process 30fps, it's actually a wonderful way to play the game. It gives it a different feel, certainly, it doesn't feel as accelerated, but it's very leisurely eye candy. It's not just about reflections but the overall lighting system, it feels much smarter and more cohesive, less like a pristine series of assets and more like an environment. And then when I fancied the sense of speed and doing a few tricks, I switched to Performance. It's also fantastic, and it's great to be able to appreciate and enjoy both modes. 

Just play in performance mode and turn on photo mode whenever you want to look at a puddle. 

I had a little bug yesterday where I switched out of photo mode and the ray tracing didn’t go off but the 30 FPS cap switched off. I was able to swing around a little bit with ray tracing and 60fps. The framerate fluctuated massively, hard swings (pun intended) between about 30 and about 60 depending on where I pointed the camera. I really wish I’d recorded it but it snapped back to normal the next time I went into photo mode which I did after a minute of looking around to see what happened. I can see why they capped it at 30.

The ending of this game is really great. I spotted something I completely missed the first time around:

Spoiler

Mid-credits, the doctor warning Norman Osborne to not release Harry is Curt Connors.

Bit of a retcon, as the first game makes mention of him having already fought Spidey.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

The ending of this game is really great. I spotted something I completely missed the first time around:

Hide contents

Mid-credits, the doctor warning Norman Osborne to not release Harry is Curt Connors.

Bit of a retcon, as the first game makes mention of him having already fought Spidey.

Spoiler

Sometimes Curt is able to be cured of the lizardness so could still fit in continuity - he might be working with Osborne off the books in exchange for a continued cure?

That's ridiculous when you can buy it digitally for less with the remaster of the original. Speaking of which, I've been playing the remaster in fidelity mode exclusively, and it's fucking glorious! Places like Feast look like real places. 

Still don't like the new Pete though, the guy constantly looks smug as fuck, the previous Pete looked like a genuine likeable guy. Otherwise, character detail really is a step up from the PS4. This is a remaster that's actually worth paying money for, having it and Miles Morales is excellent value. 

Bit of a long shot, but I don’t suppose anyone’s got a PS4 version they want to sell? I’m trying to get hold of it for my eldest lad as he’s desperate for it, but it doesn’t seem to be in stock anywhere.

6 hours ago, JPL said:

But of a long shot, but I don’t suppose anyone’s got a PS4 version they want to sell? I’m trying to get hold of it for my eldest lad as he’s desperate for it, but it doesn’t seem to be in stock anywhere.

stock due 17th December If that’s any help

12 minutes ago, SeanR said:

stock due 17th December If that’s any help

Ah, thanks Sean. Where will have stock in? I might see if I can get a preorder in somewhere, so I definitely have it for Christmas.

I’m also trying to get him the Lego Razor Crest, but that doesn’t seem to exist either. I’m having a nightmare. You haven’t got any information on that, have you?! :D

Edit: ShopTo are allowing preorders. Are they a safe bet?

It’ll be one of the places I checked?

sainsburys, Argos, base, smyths, Amazon, or... thegameshop?

sorry, I remember seeing “stock due 17th December” but I looked at so many websites I can’t remember where I saw it...

3 minutes ago, SeanR said:

It’ll be one of the places I checked?

sainsburys, Argos, base, smyths, Amazon, or... thegameshop?

sorry, I remember seeing “stock due 17th December” but I looked at so many websites I can’t remember where I saw it...

Just had a look on Smyths and they’re saying between 17-21 December for new stock. Think I’ll go with ShopTo and just keep my eye on things.

Thanks for that Sean and sorry for the derail folks.

6 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

How’s that 60fps + ray tracing setting working out? Not had a chance to try it out yet. Does the resolution take a hammering right enough for the trade off?

It's actually still dynamic 4k with a 1440p low, absolutely phenomenal stuff from Insomniac.

6 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Sweet, sounds good enough to me. That’s what I’ll be using for the second half of the game. Rationing it’s short playtime to myself looks to have paid off.

It's still using Insomniac's temporal upscale as well, so when it does dip you can't really tell, looks as good as fidelity mode to me image quality wise, it's just the RT that's taken a slight hit, the reflections are lower res and less pedestrian activity

On 10/12/2020 at 07:11, JPL said:

I’m also trying to get him the Lego Razor Crest, but that doesn’t seem to exist either. I’m having a nightmare. You haven’t got any information on that, have you?! :D

Is he up to date with season two then?

1 hour ago, Stejay said:

Is he up to date with season two then?

Yeah he is. I think that’s probably making him want it even more.

I signed up with Lego to get notifications when it’s back in stock and they emailed me at around 3am this morning. Luckily I was awake, but in the few seconds it took me to open their site, they’d already sold out. I think I might just have to accept it’s not happening and get him something else.

18 hours ago, JPL said:

Yeah he is. I think that’s probably making him want it even more.

Big spoiler for The Mandalorian season 2:

Spoiler

So he has seen that it was destroyed in a recent episode?   Not that it'll make the ship any less cooler to him I suppose, but possibly less desirable maybe?

18 hours ago, Stejay said:

Hide contents

So he has seen that it was destroyed in a recent episode?   Not that it'll make the ship any less cooler to him I suppose, but possibly less desirable maybe?

Yeah, he’s seen it. That’s what I meant when I said he probably wants it even more now!

Big spoiler for The Mandalorian season 2:

Spoiler

He actually said to me that he thinks Mando will end up with Slave 1 now, but he’s already got that!