IGNORED

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

BitterToad

27 minutes ago, b00dles said:

Personally I'm very glad they added it and that whole 'reveal' with the mural I thought was done very well and it's a good thing to include.

That's pretty much the only place that the Black Lives Matter movement is explicitly mentioned - it's hardly BLM politics being rammed down your throat (not you, b00dles).

The rest is simply showing Miles interacting with his neighbourhood - it's Harlem; it shows black people. I mean, that in itself is seen as a political choice, but it shouldn't really be. It basically just represents; and that shouldn't be weird.

They go out of their way not have the police seen as antagonists - Roxxon militia are the bad guys facing off against the Underground on the street. On the surface, the rest of the story is one of gentrification and corporate misdeeds more than state suppression and violence. The parallels are there, but they're really not in your face.

1 hour ago, Sumire said:

I know what you are saying, but It is still a fictional New York and fictional politics and of course fictional characters.

But it's still New York, and ostensibly designed to be the New York of the present day.  The characters may be fictional, but for all intents and purposes they are fictional people living in a version of our reality, but with added superheroes and supervillains.

The game features FEAST because homelessness is a reality.  Should that have been left out because it's a real world issue?  The Marvel world still features the same institutions and political machinations as the real world.  It's not some kind of full-on alternate reality where there's anything to suggest people of colour in the Marvel world have had it any different to how they've had it in the real world.

Perhaps, if the mural had been of George Floyd, one could've succesfully argued that was a bit weird, using a 'real world' person's image alongside the message.  If it was a mural displayed on Tatooine in Star Wars, or in Rivendell in a Middle Earth property, then the complaint it's out of place or distracting would bear massive weight, regardless that the message is one that is morally just.

But as it was, it wasn't a mural of George Floyd, and it wasn't on another planet.  It was a mural of Spider-man, and specficially and importantly Miles Morales, a black Spider-man, positioned in Harlem, New York, alongside a message that simply states that Black Lives Matter.  And that should not be distracting for anyone, because it's just a fact.  They do.

2 hours ago, Sumire said:

I know what you are saying, but It is still a fictional New York and fictional politics and of course fictional characters.

what are the fictional politics please

Anyway, I am wrong judging by the responses, so I will leave it at that.

edit

Actually, looking back at this,  I should just have said I am simply not a fan of the BLM movement, and I would rather just not have seen any mention of it in this game.

4 hours ago, Sixkiller said:

But it's still New York, and ostensibly designed to be the New York of the present day.  The characters may be fictional, but for all intents and purposes they are fictional people living in a version of our reality, but with added superheroes and supervillains.

The game features FEAST because homelessness is a reality.  Should that have been left out because it's a real world issue?  The Marvel world still features the same institutions and political machinations as the real world.  It's not some kind of full-on alternate reality where there's anything to suggest people of colour in the Marvel world have had it any different to how they've had it in the real world.

Perhaps, if the mural had been of George Floyd, one could've succesfully argued that was a bit weird, using a 'real world' person's image alongside the message.  If it was a mural displayed on Tatooine in Star Wars, or in Rivendell in a Middle Earth property, then the complaint it's out of place or distracting would bear massive weight, regardless that the message is one that is morally just.

But as it was, it wasn't a mural of George Floyd, and it wasn't on another planet.  It was a mural of Spider-man, and specficially and importantly Miles Morales, a black Spider-man, positioned in Harlem, New York, alongside a message that simply states that Black Lives Matter.  And that should not be distracting for anyone, because it's just a fact.  They do.

Been reading the recent posts thinking I don't remember any BLM stuff. I think I missed that on the mural possibly.

You had to complete all of the 'app' jobs, then pick up the suit in a final 'side' mission, so totally optional.

As in, the 'BLM stuff' was a single mural behind you as you posed in your new suit for a couple of seconds.

Got put off Final Fight for the same reason, was so obviously that Mayor Mike Hagger was making a political case for yet another term with his draconian law and order enforcement polices and the demonisation of the Mad Gear Gang.

11 hours ago, Flanders said:

Still, this has been a nice reminder that this is a really, really good game and everyone should play it when it comes on PS Plus. 

I've just finished it - oh, hell, yes; this!

I like so much about this game - like Spider-Man himself, it has a moral compass. Miles is a likeable character, ordinary and nerdy; his family is relatable; it's rooted in real-world issues without being pompous or preachy; it has a real sense of community, of what is being lost in our cities through corporatism.

And I shed a wee tear at the ending - a Shakespearean tragedy, with explosions.

He's not my Spider-Man.

I think Miles is a cool character, I like what they've done with him over the years, but he's not my Spider-Man. My Spider-Man is Peter Parker. It's the 90s cartoon. It's Tobey McGuire. Anything else is just pretending.

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

He's not my Spider-Man.

I think Miles is a cool character, I like what they've done with him over the years, but he's not my Spider-Man. My Spider-Man is Peter Parker. It's the 90s cartoon. It's Tobey McGuire. Anything else is just pretending.

I was with you all the way up to Toby

Never has that teen camp preacher line seemed more relevant.

Anyway Miles is a cool character but he’s never going to be the real Spider-Man 

I enjoyed this game and really like Miles Morales.

My biggest disappointment was the faceless armour-clad goons you were always fighting. I kept thinking a nemesis system like in the Mordor games might help make some of the soldiers feel a bit less generic. 
Battling Roxxon security or Underground guys with their super-weapons just didn't feel Spider-Manny enough for me. I had the same issue with the enemies in the Peter Parker game.

I don't have a problem with the inclusion of new enemies in the games but I'd really like to see some more of the classic baddies. I think the Vulture fight was one of my favourite bits in Miles Morales.

To nail a real next-gen Spider-Man open world game I'd like to see more enemy variety with proper unique characters. There are a ton of baddies in Spidey's rogues gallery who they could use. To be honest, I'm happy fighting bank robbers and muggers but it would be nice if they could feel like unique characters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Played this for about three hours today on PS5 as it is part of the new PS+. Having great fun, I finished the first on PS4 back when it came out in 2017 (whaaaatttt) and obviously it's more of the same but I this is exactly the kind of throwaway polished fun I needed right now. Only exposure I have ever had to the character was in the first game, he seems decent.

Game is gorgeous in Performance RT mode, too. Will probably go for the Platinum which I haven't done in any game for many years.