Kena: Bridge of Spirits [ PC | PS4 | PS5 ]

FozZ

Well I think it looks beautiful. Insanely pretty. I was going to go for PS5 but decided to see if my PC would be capable of running it at 4K 60fps, it does. A few drops here and there but only by 2, 3 fps or so, very infrequently and with G-sync it's completely irrelevant.

I don't see any HDR settings but my new TV has HGIG so I've thrown Windows HDR on and it seems to be presenting a lovely HDR picture. Need to bone up on the whole HGIG thing but if this is how it works going forward then it seems pretty cool.

Now to enjoy the game proper.

3 hours ago, deerokus said:

Isn't this an indie game by some very small team?  I'd hope a AAA first party Sony game would be more impressive.

This doesn't seem like my sort of game, but it's pretty technically impressive for an indie game.

It's not entirely accurate to say it's a plucky little indie studio. It's an experienced CG animation house with a small core dev team, helped by an absolute ton of external contractors. Not nearly as many as worked on, say, Rift Apart, but they've got more resources than your average indie, that's for sure.  

7 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I’m playing it in performance mode. The fidelity one does look a little better but you’d have to pause it to notice. I think it’s just resolution, all the lighting looks the same to me.

Performance mode is definitely the way to go.

17 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

Really rather keen on the look of this; cross Zelda with a 3D platformer.

Should really wait for it to inevitably in the epic game store sale in a few months though

Just to set expectations - there's not really any Zelda in it. It's literally a PS2 platformer with PS5 graphics. Including the somewhat floaty/woolly controls because it's not made by Nintendo. It would fit in perfectly with the likes of Mark of Kri and Maximo. I'm really enjoying it though. Not many of these around nowadays.

5 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Just to set expectations - there's not really any Zelda in it. It's literally a PS2 platformer with PS5 graphics. Including the somewhat floaty/woolly controls because it's not made by Nintendo. It would fit in perfectly with the likes of Mark of Kri and Maximo. I'm really enjoying it though. Not many of these around nowadays.

To be fair that will suit me too.

I loved those PS2 games and there are so few 3d platformers these days

I think that would be underselling it - there’s a lot of depth to the combat and some of the traversal sections and heights you get to are immense, thanks in part to the large world you have to explore. 

It’s structured a lot like a Metroidvania in terms of unlocking new paths with new abilities too.

It’s open world in a way but more like God of War in that there are paths and routes you have to take to get around rather than going anywhere you like.

13 hours ago, jonamok said:

Early days, but this is lovely. Opening area isn’t amazing, but post opening title card it’s just gorgeous and super cute.

Indeed. The game looks better when you get further in:

E_7FZG6UcAodcCd?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

I wasn't sold on the gameplay much at first, but I put this on last night "just for a bit before having an early night" ... next thing I know it's midnight! :)

Lovely game so far.

Managed to play a couple of hours this and it seems glorious so far (half way up the mountain of the first mask).

I’m playing in performance mode and I personally think it looks stunning, I find it a really rich environment.

Only thing I would have preferred is the enemies being naturally in the world instead of forcing an arena fight, but it’s in no way a deal breaker. 

Can’t wait to get back in

This is absolutely fantastic! Must be about 5-6hrs in now. Graphics are amazing, in fact at times they’re absolutely stunning and up there with anything I’ve seen so far this gen. As is the crisp as a fresh £10 note audio and some of the music. The combat is brilliant, with a good selection of moves that all need to be considered and implemented well. The boss battles are top notch too and have led to some pretty epic battles so far! The game is just so much FUN......in a way that many games these days have simply lost. 

Can definitely see and feel the Zelda and Nintendo influences along with many adventure games from the PS2 and 360 eras. It’s just a joy to play a classic, properly old school video gamey adventure game again, with proper new school next gen polish. AND to top it all off...........the difficulty is spot on, with the the boss battles in particular being a strong challenge on the Hard settings and no annoying hand holding telling you what to do and where to go every 5secs.

Seems like Sony have struck gold again and backed another winner! I’m sure they’ll be snapping this lot up in the near future! 

Well this is rather delightful. Beautiful visuals aside, it just has a very warm heart and a really nice vibe. I guess I’ve starting to get in to the game proper now, and just had my first actually tough battle (just after getting the bow) but it’s just… bloody lovely to play. Must admit I’m a bit baffled by this getting a significantly less glowing review than Sable from EG, because this for my money is a vastly more enjoyable experience. Horses for courses I guess

5 hours ago, spanx said:

Well this is rather delightful. Beautiful visuals aside, it just has a very warm heart and a really nice vibe. I guess I’ve starting to get in to the game proper now, and just had my first actually tough battle (just after getting the bow) but it’s just… bloody lovely to play. Must admit I’m a bit baffled by this getting a significantly less glowing review than Sable from EG, because this for my money is a vastly more enjoyable experience. Horses for courses I guess

The EG review is appalling. Sure, it’s one person’s opinion, but an opinion that  I’ll not be taking any notice of in future. Not something I’d usually do but, this is turning out to one of the most enjoyable and fun games I’ve played in years and up there with Returnal for my GOTY.

5 hours ago, pledge said:

Is this quite short? Wondering why it is ~£35 rather than full price. It seems excellent so far, and coming from sable it feels luxuriously smooth.

That was one of the things that put me off getting it. I’m glad I didn’t pass on it now. I’m probably 10hrs in. I’m not sprinting around everywhere, just using the standard run. I’m exploring around, collecting everything and playing on Hard which is nice and challenging. Also getting stuck taking pics now and again cause the graphics are amazing.

It looks to me, that playing it how I am it’s probably going to be 20hrs+ probably more to complete. The reviews that claim 9hrs......must have done a speed run and mainlined the game on easy, with no exploration and no collectibles or any challenge fights or optional content. 

For me this is now better than most modern “traditional” Zelda games. It’s 100% better than Skyward Sword. Memories of Twilight Princess are a bit hazy but I’d say it’s better than that too. The combat is WAY better here than on those games. The weapons/items and how they’re used feel fresher and snappier. The platforming is miles better. The world is surprisingly large, with some nice exploration and helped by the graphics being so lush.

Maybe halfway through the 2nd mask mission and while it’s no Ocarina, I’d say this is up there with Wind Waker for me. 

Just now, teddymeow said:

Okay, now I'm super hyped for payday on Tuesday!!

Hahaha. not long to wait now!!!

Well, it’s not a full on homage or knock off of Zelda, say like Alundra on PSone, but it’s definitely loaded with Zelda traits which come out the more you play. The developers are clearly big fans of the series and they are clearly very talented as they’ve implemented all the elements fantastically well and built on them to boot. The Pikmin style stuff is really simple but handled really well too. There’s also loads of PS2 era, 360 era, adventure game feels to it! It’s just really video gamey and fun to play. 

And done. Really enjoyed that. Didn’t out stay it’s welcome and I’m looking forward to going back every now and then to mop up the missing Rot, hats and letters.

While the animation and art direction is wonderful I can’t rate highly enough the score and sound effects. Top quality that wouldn’t be out of place in a high budget movie.

On 26/09/2021 at 12:51, spanx said:

The same person that didn't recommend Kena on Eurogamer also didn't like Persona 5, Disco Elysium, Days Gone, Yakuza: Like a Dragon or the new Nier Replicant (among other games) so do with that what you will. Eurogamer especially requires you to look at the reviewer not the publication to see whether you value their opinion or not.