Kena: Bridge of Spirits [ PC | PS4 | PS5 ]

FozZ

And that's the credits rolling. What a delightful game. It has one or two quirky issues, but they're trivial when the rest of the game is so good. Doesn't outstay its welcome, in fact I think the length is prefect for this kind of game, and it's a just a nice story. 

Really glad I got this. :)

1 hour ago, Thor said:

And that's the credits rolling. What a delightful game. It has one or two quirky issues, but they're trivial when the rest of the game is so good. Doesn't outstay its welcome, in fact I think the length is prefect for this kind of game, and it's a just a nice story. 

Really glad I got this. :)

Is it difficult? Could my 8 year old play? Is the content/story child appropriate? Does it have dungeons like Zelda or not really? 

That specific Eurogamer reviewer is one of the worst around, talks mountains of pish in every review.

Must admit this game doesn't really appeal to me, something about the artstyle, but it's clearly a special game for those who have given it a chance.

2 hours ago, Oz said:

Is it difficult? Could my 8 year old play? Is the content/story child appropriate? Does it have dungeons like Zelda or not really? 

Played on Hard it’s really challenging and you need good reflexes but, with the difficulty notched down it should be fine. The story is basically about being a Spirit Guide and leading lost/troubled souls to the afterlife. I’d say it’s on a par with most Zelda games in terms of being child friendly. It’s not really got Zelda style dungeons from what I’ve played so far. It’s more you go to different areas, explore around and perform different tasks.  

Absolutely fantastic game, really polished with AAA values imo, especially the audio and music. The more I play the more I rate it! To the point that last night I had to look up Ember Lab to see if it was ex Nintendo staff! Lead designer was ex Insomniac Games apparently. 

4 hours ago, Oz said:

Depends on the 8 year old. :) You'll be a better judge than I...

Edit: No dungeons like in Zelda.

Just read the EG review. I think her review is fair from the point of view that Kena is not original. Because it isn't. There is absolutely nothing in Kena we haven't seen in other games. You have played this game before, countless times, this is just more of that same gameplay wrapped in a new story and environment, and even those lack originality. However, just because it's not new or innovative, doesn't mean it's shit. Having fun with something is of course subjective, EG's reviewer found it tiresome, and I can understand that (especially if you're having to review similar games a lot). For me, it's a thoroughly charming game with just one or two missteps - for example there is one (not mandatory) challenge where you have to defeat enemies without getting hit, but enemies can attack you off screen and there is no indicator that an attack is coming. Thankfully this was only an issue just once for me. But overall I loved the game, its story, and its setting. :)

On the other hand I’d say the Eurogamer review is fucking appalling!! It’s riddled with stuff that doesn’t make any sense at all. It claims the games boring and repetitive just like all Sony’s other games.......even though Kena is a timed exclusive and multi format! Says it’s derivative with no charm, or purpose. Claims you’re funnelled through the game and the combat is against the same enemies in every clearing and all it takes to win is to hit a few buttons. Wtf!?!? Yet it also says the combat is broken and the game is very unbalanced, because you can only get hit 3 times (sounds like bollocks to me), enemies snap to you from a ridiculous distance (they don’t at all), parry doesn’t work (it does) and the combat ends up being energy sapping (it’s hands down the best combat in a game of its type). It even claims that Zelda has got better combat! HAHAHA. Fucking ludicrous! 

There’s even a bit where it mentions looking for the collectibles is totally pointless. No shit! All collectibles are totally pointless. Sitting on your arse for 15hrs pressing buttons, twiddling sticks, while staring at the TV is pointless. But it’s FUN!!! 

It’s genuinely the worst review I think I’ve ever read. 

Thought as much.......playing on hard and Kena can get hit 5 times before dying........ because you can upgrade your health. How the fuck does a professional games reviewer, who’s supposed to be professionally reviewing a game, not even know that or check into it??? Piss poor!

You’re able to upgrade your health from very early on in the game at “Meditation Points” that you find. In other words the Eurogamer reviewer either only played the game for an hr or so, or they simply ran straight through it on Easy but still managed to struggle with the combat or they’re just talking a load of bollocks that they’ve made up. 

Just now, CrichStand said:

Though as much.......playing on hard and Kena can get hit 5 times before dying........ because you can upgrade your health. How the fuck does a professional games reviewer, who’s supposed to be professionally reviewing a game, not even know that or check into it??? Piss poor!

You’re able to upgrade your health from very early on in the game at “Meditation Points” that you find. In other words the Eurogamer reviewer either only played the game for an hr or so, or they simply ran straight through it on Easy but still managed to struggle with the combat or they’re just talking a load of bollocks that they’ve made up. 

The worst crime of all is that people will read this review and not buy the game because if it.

9 minutes ago, Goemon said:

The worst crime of all is that people will read this review and not buy the game because if it.

It almost put me off getting the game! And I’m absolutely loving it and having so much fun playing through it. It’s incredibly well made and designed and the combat is top notch and that’s coming from someone that loves stuff like Bayo, Returnal, DMC etc.

It’s totally apparent that the Eurogamer reviewer only played about an hr of this and then wrote the review up. How the fuck would they not know that you can upgrade your health and claim Kena can only get hit 3 times??? How would they miss the tutorial and every Health Upgrade point? 

How the fuck would they not realise that the onscreen health bar is in actual fact the onscreen health bar? They’ve clearly thought the onscreen Rot Attack icons are the fucking health bar!!! Hahaha. 

1 hour ago, CrichStand said:

On the other hand I’d say the Eurogamer review is fucking appalling!! It’s riddled with stuff that doesn’t make any sense at all. It claims the games boring and repetitive just like all Sony’s other games.......even though Kena is a timed exclusive and multi format!

It doesn't say that at all. The three-hit comment is specifically about bosses, which do have significant range in their attacks. As for the collectibles criticism, a lot of collectibles in other games have tangible gameplay benefits; here, they're just cosmetic. Malindy evidently didn't feel like the game made it worth her while. 

Just now, Rudderless said:

It doesn't say that at all. The three-hit comment is specifically about bosses, which do have significant range in their attacks. As for the collectibles criticism, a lot of collectibles in other games have tangible gameplay benefits; here, they're just cosmetic. Malindy evidently didn't feel like the game made it worth her while. 

It says normal battles are over with just a few button presses. That’s absolute bollocks. They require skill, good reflexes, good timing, use of audio cues, crowd control, different weapons, items, moves to beat. And they’re challenging battles too against varied enemies........not just “humdrum encounters against the same enemies in every clearing”. 

The bosses are big and tough and so you take more damage from them. No idea if it’s 3 hits or not as I’ve only took on a few and was too wrapped up in the moment with them, But they were all absolutely brilliant and challenging battles that required skill, reflexes, timing, various weapons/items etc. Classic video game stuff! 

Standard battles or bosses they absolutely do not latch on to you from a ridiculous distance and they’re absolutely not VERY unbalanced. The game is incredibly well designed and executed. Claiming that Breath of the Wild has better combat is just laughable!

The review misses out so much from the game it’s ridiculous whilst making everything that they do mention sound as shit and as unenjoyable as possible.

How do you even explain the reviewer implying the game is Playstation through and through and like Sony’s other big titles - boring, tired and repetitive......yet the game is multi format and only a timed exclusive! 

4 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Let it go. It’s a wonderful game. Enjoy it.

I am enjoying it! Like I said earlier in the thread, it’s up there with Returnal for GOTY for me. I almost didn’t get it because of that Eurogamer review. It’ll put a lot of people off giving it a go what with it being new IP. I mean this is Ember Labs first game! And it’s this well designed and of such high quality. Mental! Sony should be snapping them up and trying to make this game a full blown exclusive.

Just got to the Forge Path and it’s just getting better and better. Graphics are jaw dropping, absolutely love the way the game looks and sounds. The optional combat chests are getting really tough now. 2 of them I’ve had to walk away from and save for later. 

Just wondering how many Mask Stories are in the game? I’m now around 15hrs in and still on the 2nd mask. Is there a big chunk of the game left to go or is it going to end abruptly? Really don’t want it to finish I’m enjoying that much!

4 hours ago, Rudderless said:

I’m just on the Stone Guardian boss fight..........it doesn’t kill me in 3 hits at all, as I’ve upgraded my health. So it appears the Eurogamer review Is wrong. Also, there are health pickups on most of the fights that you can only use once, collecting each one takes one use off your Rot Power, So, you have to decide whether to use your limited Rot Powers for attack against the enemies or defensively to gain more health. It’s implemented extremely well, as is all the other stuff that’s been watered down in that review to just “press a few buttons to win”

The combat in this really is fantastic. Action packed and really challenging. It’s just full of old school video game magic! 

Man this boss fight is absolutely mint! Really memorable fight as good as any I’ve ever played. Love how you use the bombs to break his shield, then the bow to hit his weak points, then use the Rot to do big damage against his big attack, so you can then get in and mash the fuck out of him. All the while avoiding his standard attacks, smashing up the little dudes to get Rot Power back and leaving it till the last minute to activate a heal. It’s hard as nails, up there with anything on Returnal, Ninja Gaiden, Bayo etc. Quality!

12 hours ago, CrichStand said:

How do you even explain the reviewer implying the game is Playstation through and through and like Sony’s other big titles - boring, tired and repetitive......yet the game is multi format and only a timed exclusive! 

Yeah, I don't know why anyone would think the game is backed by Sony and would make appropriate first party fare...

On 25/09/2021 at 09:17, CrichStand said:

Seems like Sony have struck gold again and backed another winner! I’m sure they’ll be snapping this lot up in the near future! 

16 hours ago, CrichStand said:

On the other hand I’d say the Eurogamer review is fucking appalling!! It’s riddled with stuff that doesn’t make any sense at all. It claims the games boring and repetitive just like all Sony’s other games.......even though Kena is a timed exclusive and multi format! Says it’s derivative with no charm, or purpose. Claims you’re funnelled through the game and the combat is against the same enemies in every clearing and all it takes to win is to hit a few buttons. Wtf!?!? Yet it also says the combat is broken and the game is very unbalanced, because you can only get hit 3 times (sounds like bollocks to me), enemies snap to you from a ridiculous distance (they don’t at all), parry doesn’t work (it does) and the combat ends up being energy sapping (it’s hands down the best combat in a game of its type). It even claims that Zelda has got better combat! HAHAHA. Fucking ludicrous! 

There’s even a bit where it mentions looking for the collectibles is totally pointless. No shit! All collectibles are totally pointless. Sitting on your arse for 15hrs pressing buttons, twiddling sticks, while staring at the TV is pointless. But it’s FUN!!! 

It’s genuinely the worst review I think I’ve ever read. 

Now they've put a lot of content behind a subscription, you can save yourself the pain of reading them now :D

7 hours ago, Quest said:

Yeah, I don't know why anyone would think the game is backed by Sony and would make appropriate first party fare...

When I said “Sony have hit gold again” I was clearly talking about them backing Ember Lab and Kena as a timed exclusive........which it is.. I’ve also posted that after playing Kena I think Sony should snap them up and make Kena a full exclusive. If this is Ember Labs first game, just imagine what they’re capable of putting out next!

I’ve also said it’s a an absolutely brilliant, really video gamey adventure game, the best in years. It’s not “PlayStation through and through”. It’s main two influences are Zelda and Pikmin! But it’s got better platforming and far better combat than Zelda . It’s also influenced by and got the feel of loads of adventure games from the PS2 and 360 eras but brought up to date with some very impressive next gen values and polish. 

I’d encourage anyone to give it a go as it’s an absolutely brilliant game. 

6 hours ago, AceGrace said:

Now they've put a lot of content behind a subscription, you can save yourself the pain of reading them now :D

Hahaha. To be fair, I usually go more on word of mouth or people’s impressions on here. Occasionally just skim Metacritic and read a mix of reviews if something catches my eye. At least in future I know to avoid that reviewers stuff now! 

Anyway, it looks like I’m on the final stretch of the game now but still got a fair bit of stuff to hunt down, which will keep me busy for a few more hrs! Will definitely come back to it in future too, based on how good the combat is, to beat the top difficulty and get the Platinum.

33 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

When I said “Sony have hit gold again” I was clearly talking about them backing Ember Lab and Kena as a timed exclusive........which it is.. I’ve also posted that after playing Kena I think Sony should snap them up and make Kena a full exclusive

You appear to be very annoyed that the EG reviewer essentially has the same opinion as you on this, and then wrote it down using slightly different words.

35 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

You appear to be very annoyed that the EG reviewer essentially has the same opinion as you on this, and then wrote it down using slightly different words.

The Eurogamer review doesn’t have the same opinion as me at all. I’ve made that perfectly clear. If you choose to ignore that then that’s fine, you’re entitled to your opinion.

The thread is supposed to for discussing the game, not for discussing me. I’m flattered but.....

Have you played the game? What are your impressions of it having played it? Do you think it’s PlayStation through and through and the same as all their other recent games? Or do you think all the Zelda, Pikmin and old school adventure game influences, spread over numerous formats, say otherwise?

Now got 20hrs on the clock and seem to still have a decent chunk of the main game left, plus loads of collectibles to track down and some abilities to unlock. Now fought a few more bosses. The combat really is top notch and the boss fights on Hard, are up there with some of the best I’ve ever played. 100% you don’t get killed in 3 hits on them, as you upgrade your health as you play including after the main bosses themselves, so I have no idea where that came form as it’s 100% bullshit.

Also, saying the collectibles are purely cosmetic is pretty much bullshit too. It appears that finding Rot increases their effectiveness and you also need to explore and find Karma to upgrade your abilities and the Rots abilities, which are needed in combat, especially on the higher difficulties. Plus there are all the optional battle chests to track down and beat. 

So yeah, there are SOME collectibles that are purely cosmetic, but there are loads that impact gameplay or contain whole sections of game to play through.

Can safely say this is a 10/10 game for me. It’s in no way, shape or form  “very unbalanced”.  Its incredibly well designed and is highly polished. The graphics are stunning. The audio is exceptionally good, the music in places is outstanding. The gameplay is more than the sum of its parts in terms of the exploration, puzzles (which are few and far between and is one area that could be improved upon) but it all pulls together really well and it’s the combat that makes this so good, especially the boss fights. The game is also full of charm and just incredibly enjoyable and lots of fun to play.

I think it’ll get a big fan-base and go down as a bit of a classic.  I can see both Sony and Microsoft trying to snap Ember Labs up in the near future.