Horizon Forbidden West - Grapple + Glider = Aloy 2.0 - 18th February 2022

gospvg

It's not a surprise, the dates that are announced for massive games like this are always wildly optimistic. Has any game of this nature ever released on schedule?

Reckon that depends on how quickly they can resolve the stock shortages.  I   doubt $100 million plus games can turn a profit on a user-base of 10 million or so.

Well this was the only title i was going to buy on release this year. Carry on enjoying my backlog rest of the year.

• gospvg changed the title to (PS5) Horizon Forbidden West - Grapple + Glider = Aloy 2.0 - 18th February 2022
  • gospvg changed the title to Horizon Forbidden West - Grapple + Glider = Aloy 2.0 - 18th February 2022

For those pre-ordering on either PS4 or PS5: double-check the fuck out of what you are selecting in the Store. There won't be an upgrade path, so if you buy either you'll have to pay full whack for the other if needed.

Interesting bit in the FAQ

What is Strike (piece)?

Strike is the board game played by inhabitants of the world of Horizon. It is played with carved wooden and metal pieces in the shapes of machines. Aloy will be introduced to Strike in Horizon Forbidden West and she can challenge many different NPCs to a match.

That'll be Sony getting the absolute basics wrong yet again, then. It's incredibly frustrating that just buying the correct version of a game for the console you own turns into a "do I cut the red or blue wire" bomb disposal scene in a movie. 

44 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

For those pre-ordering on either PS4 or PS5: double-check the fuck out of what you are selecting in the Store. There won't be an upgrade path, so if you buy either you'll have to pay full whack for the other if needed.

13 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

I guess that just means I don't buy it on PS4 and I'll wait till I can get a PS5 and buy the game cheap or second hand.  Great work Sony!

So much this. I can't be alone in the "Look, I want a PS5, it would be awesome if it was actually possible to buy one at some point?" camp. Currently, there are games that I would already have bought if I simply had the hardware, including some that I have specifically put on the "Wait until I have a PS5 for the proper version" list. PS4 is 3rd choice at the moment, so I can imagine a fair few like me who may otherwise have bought the game straight away deciding to just wait it out.

Sadly, gamers are a bunch of fuckwits who will buy the game regardless. We reasonable and informed consumers are in the minority, which is why this kind of thing isn't marketed for us anyway.

It does seem very obtuse and customer-unfriendly to not only separate the gens like this, but not allow any discounted way to upgrade (let alone how stingy that is compared to the alternative platform.) Incredibly backwards thinking at times from Sony these days.

It seems even worse when it's not even a platform policy or something - it's just this game, isn't it? Other titles, from other publishers, have offered free or reasonably priced PS4 to 5 upgrades. What is even the justification, from a corporate point of view? Surely they can't imagine that many people are going to buy both versions, and it's not like it provides a cheap way of getting the PS5 version if you price the upgrade appropriately. It feels like a fuck you just for the sake of it, without even the usual capitalism comforter that at least someone somewhere is getting unnecessarily rich off it.

8 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Or buy it for PS4 and when you get a PS5 sell it.

Kinda feels like I"m rewarding shitty behaviour there though.   I'll wait. There's loads of games to play. Shame. Was one of my favourite games on PS4.

It is just all so unnecessary though.  If the PS5 version is ten quid more, then just charge a tenner to upgrade.  Few people are likely to complain too much about that.

Making people have to buy the game again, and then look to sell on their PS4 copy is just downright consumer unfriendly.🙄

47 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Did they? It was originally PS5 only.

There's a lot of articles listing it as such from months ago, (i.e. https://www.ign.com/articles/every-single-ps4-to-ps5-free-upgrade-confirmed-so-far), I don't know what source they were using (it's hard to Google now every result comes up with the more recent news), but presumably there was one since they all have the same list.