IGNORED

Horizon Forbidden West - Grapple + Glider = Aloy 2.0

gospvg

Screenshots

Spoiler

Spoiler

hzd2b.jpghzd2a.jpghzd2.jpg

We were all expecting it & it looks awesome!

But will it come out on PS5 release day? No I think 2022

May 2021 Gameplay Video

2 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I was surprised Aloy is back, I'd have thought Horizon would be a perfect formula for new characters in new places with new robo monsters to fight.

Nah she is now a poster character for Sony just like Nate, Kratos etc.

Watched the trailer a few times now, love the underwater section & organic animals are around in America.

I would have loved this on PS5 console release but I think this will 2021.

I'm digging the new tropical aesthetic. I thought the DLC for the original game set in the snowy environment looked a bit sterile.

What new robot animals will there be? I reckon we'll see some sort of massive python cobra snake thing.

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I'm digging the new tropical aesthetic. I thought the DLC for the original game set in the snowy environment looked a bit sterile.

What new robot animals will there be? I reckon we'll see some sort of bike python cobra snake thing.

Did not play the DLC, it was released after I got rid of the game & stupidly deleted my save!

Having said that if they re-release the first game on PS5 I will play it again.

There will be lots of new robots, looking forward to seeing what they have underwater to battle.

DLC was rather dull, I can't remember most if it.

Very much looking forward to this. More varied environment, wee little real beasties, new bots, underwater. Sign me up.

edit: @Jamie John, the mammoths are definitely new to the sequel, as is the... barracuda? no wait that's a crocodile.

I really liked the DLC. It was really quite hard but I really liked the story. They do a good job of tying in storylines in the past using the AI, who were around for both.

I read somewhere that Guerilla wanted to do player flight in the first game but couldn’t because of hardware constraints, so I’m a bit surprised that it’s not here. 

5 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I read somewhere that Guerilla wanted to do player flight in the first game but couldn’t because of hardware constraints, so I’m a bit surprised that it’s not here. 

Or not revelaed yet?

Only an oblivious, brain-dead chump would be surprised Aloy is back, it's been very clearly positioned as her story from the opening scene. No one else is going to have access to the deep secrets of the Earth, except perhaps a clone of He Who Shall Not Be Named and no one wants anything to do with that guy except repeatedly punch him in the nutsack.

Game better let me ride a Thunderjaw across the Golden Gate Bridge, or else. I wonder what kind of play area we'll be getting here, the original had a (very compressed) version of Colorado, Utah and Arizona. Obviously California's in the mix but guessing Nevada and maybe even the Pacific Northwest states too?

I squealed with delight when the trailer for this showed up. Of the PlayStation exclusives this was the one that I’ve been looking forward to the most, as I rate the first one as a highlight of the generation that catapulted Guerilla into the elite tier of triple-A devs, in my eyes.

The trailer gives the impression that there’s going to be a much wider diversity of environments this time with deserts, tropical forests and underwater ruins and the sheer scale of it looks incredible. Graphically I have little doubt that it will be one of the first truly next-gen games to show off the power of the hardware. It looks absolutely stunning and the people claiming it’s all a CG render are going to look a bit silly. Guerilla’s artists and technical team are a seriously talented bunch and the Decima engine is one of the very best around.

I too am surprised at the lack of flying mounts though as I know it’s something they wanted to do but surely it would have been showcased if it was in there? 

My only other fear (and I thought this immediately upon completion of the first) is that a huge part of the narrative appeal of Horizon Zero Dawn was uncovering the fundamental truth of the world and how it came to be. I thought it was masterfully done, that aspect of the story had me completely hooked and the final revelation was a jaw-dropper. That essential undercurrent of mystery is out of the bag now and the present-day storytelling was nowhere near as compelling, so I hope they’ve come up with something that can rival the first in that regard. 

But yeah, it looks stunning and its release date will most likely determine when I purchase a PS5.

1 hour ago, pinholestar said:

My only other fear (and I thought this immediately upon completion of the first) is that a huge part of the narrative appeal of Horizon Zero Dawn was uncovering the fundamental truth of the world and how it came to be. I thought it was masterfully done, that aspect of the story had me completely hooked and the final revelation was a jaw-dropper. That essential undercurrent of mystery is out of the bag now and the present-day storytelling was nowhere near as compelling, so I hope they’ve come up with something that can rival the first in that regard.

This is a fair concern but I'd say there's plenty of scope for old world intrigue. For example, you could have privatised 'rivals' to Zero Dawn then led to...

Spoiler

...a bunch of rich people being frozen in orbit and recently thawed, or an underwater stronghold that's housed generations of survivors living in total isolation, or an AI in a bunker somewhere tasked with rehousing people in mechanical bodies with horrifying results, etc. Not to say those are particularly great ideas, but given the setting it'd be pretty easy to introduce a new wrinkle.

2 minutes ago, Ferine said:

This is a fair concern but I'd say there's plenty of scope for old world intrigue. For example, you could have privatised 'rivals' to Zero Dawn then led to...

Hide contents

...a bunch of rich people being frozen in orbit and recently thawed, or an underwater stronghold that's housed generations of survivors living in total isolation, or an AI in a bunker somewhere tasked with rehousing people in mechanical bodies with horrifying results, etc. Not to say those are particularly great ideas, but given the setting it'd be pretty easy to introduce a new wrinkle.

I really like all those ideas! 

I think I just probably lack the imagination and was just so blown away by the big reveal in the first game that I struggle to see anything else having the same impact. But you’re quite right, there’s plenty they could do to reintroduce an overriding sense of mystery to it all. Underwater ruins always have the potential to be incredibly evocative and mysterious so I’m sure there’ll be something related to that particular environment that will be full of intrigue.

That's what Far Zenith was, wasn't it? An attempt to skirt around the problem by fucking off to Mars or Alpha Centauri or whatever except it 'allegedly' exploded soon after departure. Maybe it didn't, maybe they've come back to reclaim their homeland from the feckless ignorant savages and killer robots infesting the place now and Aloy and Sylens try to resolve matters in their various different ways.

12 hours ago, Waggo said:

Which means at best Q4 next year.:coffee:

Yep I expect it will slip till then. Just give me a remastered edition of the first game at launch on PS5 & I will play it again.

7 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Looks beautiful. But man, that music fucking sucks big time.

So cliche.

In what world is it "cliché"? If you just don't like it then that's fair enough, but I've a hard time thinking of a game soundtrack in many years with a more eclectic mix of instruments and influences than the first game's.

I'd say it's telling that a few seconds into the the trailer I knew what it was for a based on the soundtrack alone.

The first game’s still the best looking thing around IMO. Until TLOU2 turns up tomorrow anyway.

Is it the same voice actress? Aloy sounds better in the new trailers than before. Less drippy, which she isn’t, but whoever voices her made her sound like a wide-eyed innocent rather than a potentially cold-blooded survivor in the first game.

That’s one of the few criticisms I had of the game, that and the slow build-up at the very beginning.