IGNORED

Horizon Forbidden West - Grapple + Glider = Aloy 2.0

gospvg

19 minutes ago, PaB said:

. “ if you know your games then Miyazaki is on another level” ? 

the inference being if you don’t get on with dark souls et al you dont know your games? 

Yeah pretty much. Just like if you don’t get on with Funkadelic you don’t know your music. 

The hint was me using the word “elitist”.

;)

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Yeah, I suppose I just mean amongst us elitists on here and the like who know our games. I’m not rubbishing Horizon I think it looks awesome, but Miyazaki games are on another level entirely. 

Not disputing that Miyazaki games don't have appeal - they clearly do - however they appeal to a narrow section of the gaming community IMHO. I've been playing games for years but get no joy from his games. But then I don't really enjoy RPG games with all the added baggage - feels more like work at times than an enjoyable game. I personally do not have the time or patience to play them. However quite enjoy Sony's take on the open world games. Have high production values, minimal stats, little bit of crafting here and there (nothing overly involving) some action and tell a story.

Not sure why people would use the term "elitist" in conjunction  with playing Miyazaki games... probably other words maybe more apt TBH. But well people are free to have their opinions... :D 

6 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Not disputing that Miyazaki games don't have appeal - they clearly do - however they appeal to a narrow section of the gaming community IMHO. I've been playing games for years but get no joy from his games. But then I don't really enjoy RPG games with all the added baggage - feels more like work at times than an enjoyable game. I personally do not have the time or patience to play them. However quite enjoy Sony's take on the open world games. Have high production values, minimal stats, little bit of crafting here and there (nothing overly involving) some action and tell a story.

Not sure why people would use the term "elitist" in conjunction  with playing Miyazaki games... probably other words maybe more apt TBH. But well people are free to have their opinions... :D 

It’s a bit like jazz vs pop.

2C71A0B9-5709-4378-96BA-5CADCDBF6007.jpeg.3535d35fac1e947b17264d4a79519a57.jpeg

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Is this thread now past the "people not interested in the game are going to tell everyone they're not interested in the game" phase yet?

Nope think its still going.. It's now a Jazz and Pop thing apparently.. and we've had the obligatory mention of Zelda and Elden Ring has been mentioned too... suppose at some point we may get a tour of all the AAA releases on all the platforms by the end of the year... :D

Still working my way through the first Horizon Zero Dawn. I was put off by the reviews when that released and I'm enjoying it, so going to  ignore the reviews and go through this one at some point. However there is so much to play at the moment I simply cannot justify picking it up yet as I know I won't get around to it until later in the year.

Going to enjoy reading peoples opinions on the game here though you lucky people that have the time to sink into this!

Probably worth noting that in the Digital Foundry writeup accompanying the video, quote:

Whichever way you choose to play, however, we highly recommend that you buy this game.

As well as praising multiple aspects of the game in the piece. So some people at Eurogamer recommend it :P

(btw I am totally fine with Malindy Hetfield's review as it sounds like she had fair points and it just didn't click with her. Some of her concerns mirror mine, but in the end Horizon Zero Dawn was very good despite similar downsides)

2 hours ago, Harsin said:

I want it digitally but there's absolutely zero point in buying in until launch day unless you want to pay Sony an extra £10 to gain the sum total of nothing in return. To be honest I'm not even convinced the update will be up straight way and we'll have a load of disgruntled peeps with PS4 discs. I can't believe just how bad at this crossgen stuff Sony are being given it's seamless on the competition.

In this particular case it feels like a deliberate strategy. Hiding the PS4 version on the PS5 store, the poorly written descriptions on the website and lack of communication from Sony about the PS4 to PS5 upgrade all seems like they want to create enough uncertainty that people who want the game on PS5 just opt for the more expensive version. 

Judging by the post after yours it seems to be working. 

35 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

As these DF videos are often spoiler-filed, the text version is a good alternative - 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2022-horizon-forbidden-west-the-digital-foundry-tech-review

There is a bit right at the end of that video that will spoil a location, so those of a more delicate nature than I am for these things should cut it off before the last couple of minutes or so. 

54 minutes ago, Stanley said:

This is a good review

"Horizon Forbidden West is PS5's Breath of the Wild " :lol:

Look, let's all calm down until Edge speaks on the matter at hand, only then will we know of the truth

25 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Look, let's all calm down until Edge speaks on the matter at hand, only then will we know of the truth

Writing on games is pretty decent though, I like that channel. 

10 minutes ago, Capwn said:

With the exception of the DF tech review pointing out that there is a difference between the two Perfomance and Quality modes, I can't iterate how much I don't give a fuck what any reviewer's opinion is of a game I'm already absolutely going to play, I don't need it as a buyer's guide or for it to unveil a hidden gem I might have missed. 

It's far more rewarding to me going in cold - just as people would when avoiding spoilers - and make up my own mind. I want to go in completely fresh and not be thinking about what could be someone's really stupid opinion which the people reviewing for large sites or publications can absolutely often have. 

Some people like to know what they're favourite reviewer thinks of a game before they've played it themselves, and more power to them I guess. 

I rather prefer doing that with a game I've played or one I'd of never know about, like the excellent Tim Rodger's reviews.

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

This is a good review for those,

like me, who want to read/hear something more than just ‘it’s more of the same’ - great review and pretty much made me 100% more excited. 

Brilliant review! Has really upped my hype levels (that were already at 11 anyway).

EXCEPT - He mentions Death Stranding which, in turn, reminded me that I've bought that too for PS5 late last year and have played about 20 minutes and that made me sad. Balls!!

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Is this thread now past the "people not interested in the game are going to tell everyone they're not interested in the game" phase yet?

*checks weather report in Hell*

nope

I reckon I’ll have the exact same glorious experience I had when Zero Dawn launches!

(Dropping it instantly a week later in favour of playing one of the greatest games ever made instead)

I’m posting to hold myself accountable. I’m not buying this, until I’ve finished Returnal/Elden Ring. Hopefully by then they’ll have been a sale. It’s wasted money (like Sifu has been) Enjoy it everyone.  

51 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I’m posting to hold myself accountable. I’m not buying this, until I’ve finished Returnal/Elden Ring. Hopefully by then they’ll have been a sale. It’s wasted money (like Sifu has been) Enjoy it everyone.  

Myself neither. 
I absolutely enjoy games more if I actually play them through to the credits roll, even ones I’m a little lukewarm on I shall play properly. 

There’s just no way I’m playing this with Elden Ring out in a week. I’ll enjoy it in a few weeks or months. 

54 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Nice try, you’ll be buying it Fri with me, and I really shouldn’t be as I’m moving house and have zero time to for games 😬

25 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Big respect to anyone who thinks they can hold out against the unstoppable crushing might of Sony’s marketing and hype juggernaut.

Or even against just the desire to play a good game, well made.