IGNORED

Horizon Forbidden West - Grapple + Glider = Aloy 2.0

gospvg

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

Ah ok, so holding square it a sort of automated managing of resources. Will try that, thanks.

Yeah you’re right, it was story mode not easy mode. Is there a story mode in this one?

I’m sort of doing ok with normal for now, will likely switch to easy when dying 5+ times during a section. Will try and avoid story mode this time around, since loading times is a non issue here.

Yup, Story mode comes as a default option this time around. You should be able to tweak some of the accessibility options if you just want things to be a bit easier instead of removing all challenge.

This is a weird spoiler, but spoiler it still is:

Spoiler

The amount of Dutch names in this is putting a smile on my face. :D

But yup, the EG review is becoming weirder and weirder by the second.

Also, this particular bit is probably more Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy managed (location spoiler):

Spoiler

ps.thumb.jpg.e15ca6f07fcf6fb365753663871bc914.jpg

1 hour ago, idiwa said:

Is there any benefit to having completed HZD? not for the plot, more is there any skill bonus or gear?

Also is anyone playing this on bog standard PS4? </shame>

No save-state bonuses or the like.

You'll just know a lot more about the plot/setting/events as this almost immediately picks up after the end of HZD. There's a lot still explained and you can find a recap in the main menu, so even if you didn't play it you can jump in. That said, the audacity of the plot of HZD is pretty awesome to experience on its own, so if you've got the time I'd play through it on Story difficulty just to get that experience.

3 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

You'll just know a lot more about the plot/setting/events as this almost immediately picks up after the end of HZD. There's a lot still explained and you can find a recap in the main menu, so even if you didn't play it you can jump in. That said, the audacity of the plot of HZD is pretty awesome to experience on its own, so if you've got the time I'd play through it on Story difficulty just to get that experience.

Yup. I do recommend playing through the story on the original for sure. I wouldn't worry about any of the side-quests because effectively they're busy work and fairly dull. The main story is one of the more intriguing sci-fi tales I've had though. It's been done with such a clear love of what they were doing and it shows.

Just make sure you do at least one of the Cauldrons though - because they show off some really wonderful imagery.

So I bit the bullet and switched to resolution mode and turned motion blur down to low. I'm used to the lower frame rate now and my goodness this looks incredible now. The resolution and aliasing was really not looking great on my telly. 

30 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Thanks @Cyhwuhx probably didn't make the above clear; I have completed HZD (didn't touch the Frozen DLC despite having bought it). Was just wondering about picking it up now on PS4 or waiting for new PS5 MKII to come out thats not the size of a boat*

* in 18 months...

27 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

So I bit the bullet and switched to resolution mode and turned motion blur down to low. I'm used to the lower frame rate now and my goodness this looks incredible now. The resolution and aliasing was really not looking great on my telly. 

I think it's what I'm sticking with for now. Doesn't take long for things to adjust back to the slower frame rate, but for me at least there's a really huge difference between the two settings, and it's very noticeable to me.

I suspect with updates this may well improve dramatically though over time.

1 minute ago, Hitcher said:

Odd, I found the opposite. Resolution mode made things like the grass blurry when moving the camera whereas Performance mode kept it sharp.

Wonder if it's a TV thing? I've got a decent enough TV, but it's no OLED unfortunately. 

Enjoying this a lot, also paying in Resolution mode as it just looks way better.

I didn't really get on with the 1st game, not sure it was the game's fault, there was always something better to play and I could never settle into it, a shame Elden Ring is going to do exactly that next week.

It really reminds me of Monster Hunter sometimes, not the Monsters ironically, but the environments and some of the armor and design of that 1st little town you go. That was straight out of MH World, even the Chef guy had a little MH style cutscene. That's all a plus for me tho.

I take it everyone has been 

Spoiler

Cave diving? There are a couple of deep caverns in the first area.

Although I find that the lighting model can go seriously screwy when you do, mainly when transitioning between areas.

Another thing I really like this time around is the number of different weapons there are. In the first game, once I had the shadow weapons I didn't need anything else. This time there seems to be a different variety at practically every settlement. It's making my choices hard, which is good.

Once you get into the open world proper it really comes into it's own, I suddenly feel very vulnerable and anything I approach has to be done with a degree of caution and planning. And I need more weapons! 

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

But Lara didn’t have the advantage of hi-res in-engine models in photo mode. Which I assume all these shots are? Still amazing of course.

Yes, the illusions pulled these days are more interesting than the visuals.

Just backed the camera up into a corner to get a close up of Aloy in game with HUD visible (click on image to see 4K resolution):

20220220_211150.thumb.jpg.6705d898cbd75e3820aa94deda730c04.jpg

Exactly the same hi-res model and level of detail as photo mode. (On PS5 at least, no idea about PS4).

Edit: one more

20220220_213115.thumb.jpg.1ba86cdf24a05996e3c2391aacc46021.jpg

Watching the DF video on this. The game start / intro sequence is all real time on the PS5 version 😲 (just a movie on the PS4). Stunning visuals on this and a good example of the capability of the new hardware.

10 minutes ago, Capwn said:

If I’m 5+ hrs into the game (mostly focused on main quest so quite far story wise), is it safe to watch the DF video? 

Wouldn't like to say so best be safe than sorry! Not picking this up until I've finished the first one so it will be a while before I play so will have forgotten the details in the video.

The DF vid I watched just compared the various versions against each other needless to say PS5 version makes good use of the new hardware and PS4/Pro still give a great experience. So good news all round really!

41 minutes ago, AI said:

Let's start again.

In-game graphics 25 years ago:

EAr8rLlUIAA0920.thumb.jpg.f14943802eed2194b898c1df2a164618.jpg

Today:

(Non-photo mode, cropped, HUD still visible)

Screenshot_20220220-214833_Chrome.thumb.jpg.09643c8695e18ed94a3a8e812dc3ca76.jpg

Bonkers.

Lol. Fair enough. Kudos to Guerrilla for having that quality of model in-game.

So, can I assume the models in the cut scenes are higher-res/mesh versions then? They certainly were in the previous game. If they’re the in-game models too then mind truly blown.

1 hour ago, AI said:

Let's start again.

In-game graphics 25 years ago:

EAr8rLlUIAA0920.thumb.jpg.f14943802eed2194b898c1df2a164618.jpg

Today:

(Non-photo mode, cropped, HUD still visible)

Screenshot_20220220-214833_Chrome.thumb.jpg.09643c8695e18ed94a3a8e812dc3ca76.jpg

Bonkers.

No, I’m still calling bullshot on this. 

Spoiler

Tomb Raider never looked that high-res on the PS1. ;)

46 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Lol. Fair enough. Kudos to Guerrilla for having that quality of model in-game.

So, can I assume the models in the cut scenes are higher-res/mesh versions then? They certainly were in the previous game. If they’re the in-game models too then mind truly blown.

They look identical to me. If they aren't the same they're incredibly close. I'll try and get a non-spoiler screenshot of Aloy in a cut-scene to compare at some point.

In-game (via photo mode!)

20220220_231537.thumb.jpg.8bcdd09a0f1fc4f855c9e882e2980b42.jpg

20220220_130758.thumb.jpg.0df31595ead3c9493f036a7359463633.jpg

@Seamonster PC 3DFX!