IGNORED

Horizon Forbidden West - Grapple + Glider = Aloy 2.0

gospvg

Oh, goody. Just had a hard crash on this.

Approached a campfire and pressed square to do a manual save it the game froze. Controller became non-responsive and the disc eject and power buttons didn't do anything.

Had to unplug and am now waiting for the external drive to repair.

2 minutes ago, Oz said:

I am honestly dumbfounded as to how this is an 89 metacritic. It must be that this is just my jam. 

88 now. Edge review could drop it to the same as Halo Infinite which apparently is shit.

7 minutes ago, layten said:

88 now. Edge review could drop it to the same as Halo Infinite which apparently is shit.

How? It’s absolutely mental. This is the same metacritic as deathloop. Tony hawk is higher. It must be demoralising to be in a studio that releases this to a 88 metacritic. Maybe word of mouth will do the trick. I don’t know if it is just my taste or something. I will rinse this. It is an just astonishing. How do you have a ps5 and not play this. 

So far I’m really not getting the ‘more of the same’ criticism at all. As a pure videogame it’s a leap forward from the first one in pretty much all departments, especially in terms of encouraging exploration and designing side quests. 

In the first game I pretty much mainlined the central story, but in this one I’m over eight hours in and haven’t gotten out of the Daunt yet because it’s so enjoyable to wander around discovering things. 

Played 25 hours over the weekend and I love it. Does what a sequel should do and improve upon on everything over the original! Production levels have gone through the roof and most of the characters are well voiced and acted, something the original struggled with.

Amazing so far! 

6 hours ago, Oz said:

I am honestly dumbfounded as to how this is an 89 metacritic. It must be that this is just my jam. 

you can surely see why it isn’t everyone’s choice of marmalade though?

you’re handheld to the max at every turn, the basic premise appears to be “throw more systems in without necessarily finessing them”, there are so many different currencies it makes destiny look like a tower of restraint, the platforming (of which there’s quite a lot) isn’t good, aloy is still no Kassandra.

I’m enjoying it far more than GoT, but I can see why it’s not straight tens across the board, which is what you start implying when you say “how can it only be a 89 metacritic”.

I don’t feel that handheld in it tbh. Obviously there is the main quest to follow but already I’ve been doing my own thing by exploring and discovering side quests and ruins, routes up mountains, and so on. 

A lot of the systems and upgrades I kind of ignore, and as for the loot, I just collect it all without even reading what it is. It does feel messy in that respect, unnecessary even, but I’m sure I’ll make sense of it all eventually. 

It did annoy me the first time I was given a trip caster, and the game doesn’t pause whilst simultaneously expecting you to read text tutorials on how to use the thing and fight four or five robots at the same time. 

I've been a 60fps zealot for the past year or so but I did attempt to play a couple of games at 30fps on Saturday (Forza Horizon 5 and Cyberpunk) while I waited for Forbidden West to be delivered. After an hour I decided that it just wasn't worth the discomfort, especially as I wasn't even seeing any benefit in return for halving the frames.

So I've played the first four hours or so of HFW at 60 and it's great. But it does look very busy visually. So I gave it a quick blast at 30fps before bed last night and I must admit this is the closest I've come since I got the new-gen consoles to accepting that there's some merit in a 30fps mode. The 60fps mode leaves an almost pointillist impression in its busyness. The resolution mode is considerably clearer and, as a third-person adventure, is slightly more suited to 30fps than the other two games I tried.

So now I just don't know what to do! I think I preferred the "why not both?" option of the first year of the new consoles.

I tried 30fps with motion blur off lat night and it gave me a headache. It just feels too choppy which is mad because I played the 1st game, multiple Uncharted, Spidey, TLOU etc all at 30fps when they launched with no issue.

Why do I feel so sensitive to it now?

8 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

I tried 30fps with motion blur off lat night and it gave me a headache. It just feels too choppy which is mad because I played the 1st game, multiple Uncharted, Spidey, TLOU etc all at 30fps when they launched with no issue.

Why do I feel so sensitive to it now?

Yeah this is the same for me, I just can’t handle the lower frame rate anymore. I’ve flipped back and forth between performance and resolution loads of times and I am just not seeing the visual boost others are in resolution so I don’t feel I’m missing out in this case - but it does make me feel slightly worried that it’ll be 30fps or bust for games later in the generation…

I'm playing on a 4K projector with an image of approx 120" so for me image clarity is paramount especially here with the insane texture detail and geometry. I'm playing this game at 4K/30fps with motion blur turned off and it is absolutely fine after a short while. I think eventually your brain gets used to it (or Guerrilla are doing some tech wizardry) and to me it isn't choppy in the slightest. I remember trying Demon's Souls remake at 30fps and that was horrendous).

I was concerned when they announced this game as cross-gen that the graphics would suffer because of it, but for my money this is up there (if not better than) the actual PS5 exclusives.

More pics (click for 4K):

20220221_084834.thumb.jpg.f72f34de8565c0dd0b0104b16a93b8d7.jpg

20220221_084820.thumb.jpg.77bd7578bf76b513849d3e1aac0b215f.jpg

I've surprised myself by trying out 30fps and sticking with it. As a PC snob I typically want fps over shiny stuff, but this seems to be doing something that means I'm happy with it. *shrug*

The game itself is exactly what I wanted in a sequel, more of the same with layers of new stuff. :)  The story (which I must confess I was a little concerned about) is going in all the right directions... who are the real bad guys? Are they really bad? What do these new guys want? I want to put work on hold and fire up the PS5 behind me right away! The pain of working from home.

Main story after Plainsong spoiler:

Spoiler

I am so, so glad they decided to let you actually restore GAIA. I was hoping they would from the beginning, but to also establish a base, where your mates can come and help! Whoop! I was waiting for these new twats to turn up and ruin everything while she was being restored... then waiting for Zo to turn on us or something... but it looks like (for now at least) we have a new home and missions to restore even more of it. :)

Also, I am actually enjoying swimming! Can't remember the last time I played a game with swimming that I actually didn't dread those parts.

Also, also the tutorials in the melee ring was an inspired idea, somewhere to hone the hand to hand combat skills I'm picking up in the (quite interestingly delivered) skill trees.

Being able to pose Aloy in photo mode is inspired.

FMD4RUSX0AQqN2-?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Chums and I are having faux arguments over 30/60 fps. I find the 30fps with the bells and whistles a much prettier with high fidelity as a better overall experience. Whereas they're convinced the smoothness is worth the less shiny (bit still utterly glorious looking) game.

Both seems viable

28 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Chums and I are having faux arguments over 30/60 fps. I find the 30fps with the bells and whistles a much prettier with high fidelity as a better overall experience. Whereas they're convinced the smoothness is worth the less shiny (bit still utterly glorious looking) game.

Both seems viable

On my TV (nothing special) it looks so much better in resolution mode, and I can't play a game like this knowing it's not looking as good as possible, so I've stuck with that.

Warning: LG OLED CX / 30fps chat ahead:

Spoiler

When playing in a semi-darkened room, I'm finding that setting TruMotion->OLED Motion Pro to Medium and setting motion blur in-game to low really helps remove any judder when playing at 30fps. The picture gets a bit darker as a result, but it's so eye-searingly bright normally that it doesn't matter too much.

Sorry, I know this is boring for lots of people: isn't the whole point of motion blur to offset the low framerate? Why turn it low/off then? Is it not well implemented here?

16 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

On my TV (nothing special) it looks so much better in resolution mode, and I can't play a game like this knowing it's not looking as good as possible, so I've stuck with that.

Yeah I thought it looked so much better overall in 30fps than 60fps (which doesn't look bad) and they were crazy.

They think the opposite :P

10 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Oh, goody. Just had a hard crash on this.

Had several crashes back to the home screen - same cause for two of them: approach a practice dummy in town and unleash a very strong attack on it (hold R2, pause, then let go).

Also some terrible texture pop-in in the second town; walking into the shantytown area outside the keep, had some tents appear as  shimmering green for 10s or so until the texture arrived. And some model pop-in on quite a few buildings around the place.

Nothing major, just not quite as solid as the first game was. I expect it'll be patched out...

I got a glitch when climbing where Aloy furiously goes up and down on the spot and a weird motion blur when switching to photomode, but I can live with that until a patch kicks in tbh.

I like it when some shit is kicking off in the back of an area and you trigger a cutscene and can see it still going on while the characters have a nice little chat. Think the first game did that too. I mean it makes sense but is still funny.

14 minutes ago, Pob said:

Sorry, I know this is boring for lots of people: isn't the whole point of motion blur to offset the low framerate? Why turn it low/off then? Is it not well implemented here?

It's more a combination of how OLEDs (specifically) handle motion, and personal preference. For me, the settings above meant the peripheral environmental detail stays more clearly defined when you're swinging the camera around.

17 minutes ago, AI said:

Interesting that the first area appears to be locked at daytime, because now I've left there, there is a day/night cycle going on now.

These gfx *drools*

20220221_103924.thumb.jpg.537812845d89530ca5e2758f6cf0a807.jpg

See, I can't use photo mode at night; screen flares bright green and washes out. Ancient 1080p telly; same thing I sometimes see when Aloy's swimming in an underground lake.

The stars are beautiful, I'll give them that.

1 hour ago, AI said:

Interesting that the first area appears to be locked at daytime, because now I've left there, there is a day/night cycle going on now.

These gfx *drools*

Heh, I started the first game last week and one of my few criticisms was that they should have forced the weather to be nice/bright in the early going so you could see things clearly until you got used to the game. I guess I wasn't the only one saying that sort of thing.