IGNORED

Horizon Forbidden West - Grapple + Glider = Aloy 2.0

gospvg

Question for those who have finished the main story:

Spoiler

I think I'm at the point of no return mission "Singularity". Is there a post game? Or do I need to mop-up side missions etc before I do it?

19 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Question for those who have finished the main story:

Hide contents

I think I'm at the point of no return mission "Singularity". Is there a post game? Or do I need to mop-up side missions etc before I do it?

You can carry on and it actually changes some conversations with npcs to acknowledge what you've done.

Are they actively making the performance mode look worse every time they update the sodding thing? It looks fucking awful at the moment. The level of motion blur and fuzziness over everything is shocking. 

• 2 weeks later...

And done (platiniumed) - enjoyed my time with but glad it's over.

Definitely needs to learn "less is more" in terms of side quests/collectables/errands/McGuffins. (The fact the trophies need about 1 of each rather than all suggests they know this)

The amount of weapons, armours and pouches all with upgrades is insane. The variety of upgrade materials is too wide as well, and often RNG related (e.g. I've killed about 8 Slitherfangs and got 1 drop of item I need, and no not key component :P). There's too much choice and all a bit inconsequential. You don't need that sort of variety.

The combat loops remain largely the same throughout - I barely upgraded anything other than pouches, and I didn't feel to hard done by. It would be another 10 hours or so of farming to upgrade gear in the same combat loop.

Coupled with the skill tress and Valor stuff. The perk trees upgrading you maybe ok, but all the various abilities and Valor I never really explored other than ones I identified that worked. 

I'm not sure about the plot - it goes places you really don't expect from the start, but also it also ends up being pretty much all about set up for the next game - and this plot never quite comes together (the heroic charge in the finale come closes but just don't hit the high it should). Same as Alloy - I can't put my finger on it but she's not just as likeable in this. Having said that the base and the interactions therein are a good edition.

So yeah enjoyed it, could have done with it being 10-15 hours less. Sure I'll still get the tee-uped DLC though.

I cannot get comfortable with the game at all unfortunately. It feels like they've overstretched the engine just a tad too much. I'm perfectly able to cope with 30fps in most games, but this one feels altogether too choppy for my liking, yet the performance mode has become fuzzier and fuzzier with each update they've done in a seemingly useless attempt to get rid of the 'fuzziness' to begin with!

I swear the game looked considerably better on original release :(

I dunno, the real-time cutscenes are astonishingly good, as are the character animations and all that stuff, but in-game just feels utterly inferior to the original game. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ooh. Latest update seems to have properly improved the performance mode. It doesn’t look like someone’s smeared the screen with Vaseline. Only bunged it in for a few minutes but I think it might be time to actually play the thing!

37 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Ooh. Latest update seems to have properly improved the performance mode. It doesn’t look like someone’s smeared the screen with Vaseline. Only bunged it in for a few minutes but I think it might be time to actually play the thing!

Great, Just a few days after I finish it 

I've only played this for an hour or so (I'm up to Chainscrape), but I'm enjoying it so far. It certainly looks pretty, and after not being that bothered by the story in the first game I'm finding it interesting this time around and am reading all the lore notes and bios, etc., to figure out what's going on. I've also turned off a lot of the extra guff in the menus - the compass, quest markers, various other indicators - to try to make it as natural as possible.

I'll see how it goes. Despite all of the 9s and 8s this got by the gaming press, user opinion seems very divided.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I've only played this for an hour or so (I'm up to Chainscrape), but I'm enjoying it so far. It certainly looks pretty, and after not being that bothered by the story in the first game I'm finding it interesting this time around and am reading all the lore notes and bios, etc., to figure out what's going on. I've also turned off a lot of the extra guff in the menus - the compass, quest markers, various other indicators - to try to make it as natural as possible.

I'll see how it goes. Despite all of the 9s and 8s this got by the gaming press, user opinion seems very divided.

It's a really good game, but it's too much. There's systems overlap, redundancy, and a lack of focus. 

I agree with @RJames on paper but, in practice, enjoyed it far more than he, I guess. I ignored a lot of fluff, min-maxed the combat system and was awed by some moments: the first tracking and leap onto a scanning drone, being ambushed by stalkers in a heavy mist, swimming past robo-crocs in Space Malibu...

It's too, too much from all angles and never coheres into a classic. But it's beautiful, surprising, and every now and again takes your breath away with the fictional sci-fi worlds human beings can create. 

1 hour ago, Treble said:

It's a really good game, but it's too much. There's systems overlap, redundancy, and a lack of focus. 

I agree with @RJames on paper but, in practice, enjoyed it far more than he, I guess. I ignored a lot of fluff, min-maxed the combat system and was awed by some moments: the first tracking and leap onto a scanning drone, being ambushed by stalkers in a heavy mist, swimming past robo-crocs in Space Malibu...

It's too, too much from all angles and never coheres into a classic. But it's beautiful, surprising, and every now and again takes your breath away with the fictional sci-fi worlds human beings can create. 

Cheers! Sounds good.

Is there a general rule for the sidequests - are some types worth doing more than others?

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Is there a general rule for the sidequests - are some types worth doing more than others?

I think all the side quests are worthwhile, just remember that it's a long game if you're a completionist (~85 hours) so if that's your inclination you definitely shouldn't be trying to cram the game into a weekend.

The main busywork you might want to skip is getting all the materials needed to expand your storage pouches and upgrade equipment. You can likely ignore these aspects unless you're playing on a higher difficulty, but if you do want to engage with them they can be significantly alleviated by:

• Setting difficulty to Custom and enable Easy Loot, meaning you don't need to take down machines in a specific way to find rarer parts.
  • Trading for rare machine parts with various traders, notably the Oseram that want you to gather parts for making armour.
  • You can now buy animal parts to upgrade your pouches from Herbalists in settlements, so there's no need to hunt wildlife.

On another note, the new patch has made Performance mode look way better. I played through the game in Quality just because it looked so much cleaner, but now I think 60fps is the easy choice. In the future they're also going to be adding VRR support and a 40fps mode for those with 120hz TVs.

46 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I think all the side quests are worthwhile, just remember that it's a long game if you're a completionist (~85 hours) so if that's your inclination you definitely shouldn't be trying to cram the game into a weekend.

The main busywork you might want to skip is getting all the materials needed to expand your storage pouches and upgrade equipment. You can likely ignore these aspects unless you're playing on a higher difficulty, but if you do want to engage with them they can be significantly alleviated by:

• Setting difficulty to Custom and enable Easy Loot, meaning you don't need to take down machines in a specific way to find rarer parts.
  • Trading for rare machine parts with various traders, notably the Oseram that want you to gather parts for making armour.
  • You can now buy animal parts to upgrade your pouches from Herbalists in settlements, so there's no need to hunt wildlife.

On another note, the new patch has made Performance mode look way better. I played through the game in Quality just because it looked so much cleaner, but now I think 60fps is the easy choice. In the future they're also going to be adding VRR support and a 40fps mode for those with 120hz TVs.

Thanks for this. I think I'll keep Easy Loot off to begin with as I don't want to make things too easy for myself, but I'll take your other pointers into account. Like I say, I've only had the chance to play for about 90 minutes up until now, so I haven't really had a chance to get into it yet.

The improvements to 60FPS mode sound very promising, however. I started playing it in Performance Mode and thought it looked great pre-patch, so I'm hoping it'll be even better now.

Like @Fargo, this has come just as I finished playing it!

This has consumed all my playtime since it was released. I’m on about 120 hours I think. It’s an all-timer for me, though arguably has just too much content. 

I imagine it's been said before, but the graphics in this game are pretty damn astonishing. The voice acting is very good, too. I'm playing it with subtitles turned off and each cutscene where you see Aloy talking to someone is a treat. The mo-capping is excellent.

54 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

New graphics options nearly had me returning to get all the trophies I missed but now I hear a 40fps option is in the works so I'll be patient 

So is that 40fps but fixed 4k resolution, as opposed to the performance mode, which is 60fps and 'dynamic resolution' - is that right? Is there really that much of a difference between 30fps and 40 at 4k? I've got a 120hz-capable OLED, so I'm wondering whether to wait now, too...

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

So is that 40fps but fixed 4k resolution, as opposed to the performance mode, which is 60fps and 'dynamic resolution' - is that right? Is there really that much of a difference between 30fps and 40 at 4k? I've got a 120hz-capable OLED, so I'm wondering whether to wait now, too...

I've got an LG OLED too. I finished it weeks ago but am still mopping up side missions etc.

I went back to Plainsong today (no spoilers) and was gobsmacked at how good things looked so why wait? It's absolutely gorgeous, even in performance mode which has the advantage of being silky smooth.

I really don't think you'll be lamenting the lack of pixels.

The game's really beautiful, no doubt. It just feels to me like they've made it so pretty in detriment to the gameplay a lot of times. Honestly, half of the time there's so much going on that everything just blurs into one and I have no idea what's going on. 

Added to this the added complexity of the move-set and I just don't think it's as good a game as the original really. 

I find it astonishingly irritating that Alloy does all these fancy moves, but then half the time gets stuck on a fucking oversized pebble that's been lovingly modelled and textured.