IGNORED

Horizon Forbidden West - Grapple + Glider = Aloy 2.0

gospvg

I only just got this game, perfect timing really. The performance mode looks insane. I swapped back to the other mode and cannot notice any difference apart from fps.

15 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

I don’t much like the board game in this. Will I be missing out on anything by ignoring it?

Gwent has so much to answer for. Games within games is one of my most-hated tropes these days. Every time I sense a tie-in with the game I resent it, especially when you end up in a huge, lengthy open-world game having to listen to every third person go on about how they love playing it. I end up wondering how much effort went in to creating an entire in-game-game and the associated boring meta games and collectathons around it, how much better the main game could have been with that effort put elsewhere and how much I'm missing out on by ignoring it.

I realise this is a huge over-reaction and very personal but god I hate it.

On 06/06/2022 at 19:38, Triple A said:

And don’t get me started on the card games in FF VIII and IX!

At least you could cheese the AI in VIII, IX required you to learn the game and beat it on its own merits!

I don’t mind so much if the mini games are real world games where I already know the rules. But having to learn a whole new system to play a game within a game, which in all likelihood isn’t a good game, really feels like a chore.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

And don’t get me started on the card games in FF VIII and IX!

At least you could cheese the AI in VIII, IX required you to learn the game and beat it on its own merits!

Wash your mouth out! Triple Triad in VIII was the best thing about that game.

But yes, the board game in this isn't great. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and beat a couple of opponents, but I've no urge to go back to it. It's too complicated, and when I win I don't really know how.

The main game, however, I'm still enjoying. My runtime is just about to tick over into ten hours, but I've only just got out The Daunt. The combat can be a bit messy, especially when you're having to juggle weapon wheels, focus points and special attacks. The presentation, though, is top notch and I'm enjoying the world and characters. It's an unbelievably good-looking game.

I must admit that my initial enthusiasm for this has cooled a lot over the last couple of sessions. As has been mentioned, there's just too much shit going on at once, on-screen, in the menus, during combat, while walking around the world. I turned on the setting to always have the loot icons on-screen because I was fed up of pressing the right stick all the time to activate focus, but now I'm regretting it as I feel the compulsive need to pick up more or less everything I come across. After a battle I spend almost as long going round and tidying up icons as I did actually fighting. You can't just ignore all the guff you collect, either, as you need it to craft ammunition and buy shit.

And the combat has yet to reveal its greatness to me. A lot of the time I'm just cycling through the weapon wheel, or magically crafting ammunition while dodging, or flipping through the focus menu to remind myself of what bits I need to hit, instead of actually fighting things. It's rarely satisfying.

Another irritation is that I apparently don't have a key item, or items, yet that I need to engage with certain things I've encountered in the world. For example, I fought my way through some tough bird enemies earlier on to get to the first Tallneck you find, only to discover that I couldn't actually do anything with it as I hadn't yet found the correct item. Why not fucking tell me that before, game, instead of encouraging me to investigate the Tallneck by giving me a quest for it and placing it a stone's throw from the critical path? There are other things like this, too: villages I'm not allowed to enter, paths that are blocked off from me, underwater sections I don't have the breath for. I understand that there are certain things that the game wants me to only be able to access later, but too much teasing just becomes annoying rather than tantalising.

I played the game for about 30 minutes or so this evening before I got bored and turned it off, which is never a good sign. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood. I'll try it again tomorrow. I think I should just stick to the main quest for the time being.

Some tips:

turn 'always show loot' back off. Really, I found that you only need to pick up medicinal berries, which you'll quickly learn to recognise by sight. Everything else you need you should get plenty of from chests in populated/combat areas, which you will need to scan for, but at least they're in specific areas. I hardly ever picked up wood, for example, and never bothered with different plants. I didn't get into the food system - seems mostly pointless.

Set yourself the task of only crafting at work benches, unless you really have to. This probably only comes into play later on when you've upgraded your carry capacity a little, but I found it much more fun treating shelters as 'ammo replenishment areas' and seeing if I could avoid crafting in the wild. Crafting at benches uses less resources - even more so when you upgrade the relevant skill - so there's a gameplay reason to do this, especially if you want to stretch your machine muscle as far as it'll go!

Turn undiscovered icons (the '?') off on the main map. This made a big, big difference to me. Just chance across stuff naturally. The ? will still appear on the compass when you're close. You may want to turn off other icons on the main map if you're finding it too much.

Plan encounters before breaking stealth. Highlight areas in purple that you want to tear/destroy as these will then stay lit up. Ignore the rest. Get your ammo types and weapon skills ready before diving in. Lay a couple of traps. Basically, have a strategy for encounters before starting the fight. Treat it a bit like X-Com. That's the most fun bit. It inevitably goes to shit somewhat but try to stick to your strategy. If you need to take a breather, drop a smoke bomb or run and hide in the tall grass so you can replan and ready your weapons.

@Pob

How do you craft ammo at workbenches? I'm trying to do what you've suggested, but when I access a workbench there only seems to be an option to upgrade my stuff or craft traps, not craft ammo.

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

@Pob

How do you craft ammo at workbenches? I'm trying to do what you've suggested, but when I access a workbench there only seems to be an option to upgrade my stuff or craft traps, not craft ammo.

Hmm, maybe you have to get the upgrade first before you can do it? It’s in one of the skill trees. 

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Is it normal for this game to take over an hour to copy from the disc? It says 96GB and is estimating about an hour. 😕

I don’t think the PS5 copies from disc in rest mode, either. 

It’s not just downloading the latest version is it?

No, there's a 3GB update file and it's copying 96GB from disc. My internet is fast and it would probably take around half the time it took to install if it were just downloading it.

The incredible thing is I left it on to install and the stupid thing switched off to save power so only installed about 66%.

WTF are you playing at, Sony?

Apologies in advance for what feels like it's going to be (another) negative post. 

I've now seen the opening credits for this, or whatever. That weird Metal Gear Solid style song that plays or whatever once you're through the intro bit and the game is starting to open up a bit, which is quite nice - Chainlink/The Daunt seems like a nice starting area to explore. The good news is, the combat comes back to you relatively quickly and has a good bit of depth to it. It all goes very Benny Hill very quickly if you get things wrong. So I'm enjoying that.

But I'm left feeling that Horizon is the sort of game that I enjoy in spite of itself. There is a lot here which I find a bit offputting. This is compounded by the fact that a lot of the draws of the first game are no longer as impressive - Zero Dawn was a technical showcase for the PS4 Pro, with its checkerboard rendering and HDR implementation. While I'm sure this is still technically a marvel, it no longer impresses from that perspective - at least not enough that I sit and admire how good it looks. It looks a bit soft as well (performance mode), but I don't know if that's just a stylistic choice or what. Similarly, the old world plot has lost much of its wonder and at least the plot's opening gambit feels very unsatisfying.

Outside of that, Aloy remains a pretty unlikable individual. Cold and distant from all her friends, and really just a bit of a self absorbed arse, actually. I don't really buy the whole "she's an outcast!" as a reason for that, either, as the game has no problem with someone who grew up with only a stoic robot of a man as a companion having a fully developed and relentless sense of sarcasm and sass that is just exhausting. STFU, Aloy!

And beyond that, it doesn't feel like the game play has moved on much. That's ok in terms of the combat, but it feels like the towns and outposts haven't moved on a jot from 2017 - still packed full of NPCs but managing to feel lifeless. Still the same very clunky dialogue menus, which work as info dumps rather than anything more interesting.

Anyway, the fact that I haven't packed it in already says something, I think. Hopefully this gets its hooks into me like the first game did.

I found it ok rather than a stellar game.  Coming to it straight after Elden Ring probably wasn't the best idea.  For me the endless collectibles and upgrades were a bit too much and the combat was a struggle as once you get seen and all the machines home in on you it quickly descends into rolling around all over the place.  I ended up knocking the combat difficulty down to easy and only doing side missions that were focussed on the main NPCs and that was a far better balance for me.  I thought the story was pretty good though.

I'm 20 hours in and still playing. The graphics and the mo-cap are the best thing about it, and I'm actually finding the story more interesting this time around; it does some pretty interesting things later on.

I'm still not convinced on the combat, however. You spend too long in radial menus, either crafting ammo, highlighting body parts, reminding yourself of weaknesses or switching between weapons. When you're unseen, it works quite well (although waiting for robots to walk over your traps is boring), but as soon as cover is broken it becomes messy and difficult to parse. You end up just rolling everywhere to avoid attacks and faffing about trying to re-equip your smoke bombs so that you can go back into stealth mode. Fighting human enemies is particularly miserable as they just seem to absorb your arrows and attacks appear to have little impact. Compare it with something like TLOU2, where the game became more fun when you broke stealth, and this comes off quite badly.

Still, I'm interested in seeing the next location, and once I start playing it I find it compelling enough to keep going. I'm not expecting it to surprise me, however, and it definitely doesn't have anywhere near the same majesty as Elden Ring.

I still think the combat is superb (high difficulty setting and motion aiming on is what works for me). I like planning out at fight by looking at which machine to override, placing some traps, watch the carnage unfold and then throw myself into the thick of it. I love the chaos. Rolling around, switching between weapons, strategically taking off machine parts, picking up machine weapons and lay waste to everything. I love it. It helps that the animation really shines and you have all the sparks and parts flying off, with machines burning and limping and occasionally exploding. I think it sells its combat very well. It's far worse against humans though. At least it's alliveated somewhat by some of your new tools and them riding machines a lot of the time.

I might have to give the motion aiming a go. I find a lot of the combat is spent desperately trying to hit tiny areas on machines that are all over the place and it can be really finicky at times. I don’t think it helps that you have very little situational awareness when trying to aim, either. 

41 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I still think the combat is superb (high difficulty setting and motion aiming on is what works for me). I like planning out at fight by looking at which machine to override, placing some traps, watch the carnage unfold and then throw myself into the thick of it. I love the chaos. Rolling around, switching between weapons, strategically taking off machine parts, picking up machine weapons and lay waste to everything. I love it. It helps that the animation really shines and you have all the sparks and parts flying off, with machines burning and limping and occasionally exploding. I think it sells its combat very well. It's far worse against humans though. At least it's alliveated somewhat by some of your new tools and them riding machines a lot of the time.

Did you start on Hard? I'm playing on Normal but might crank it up in a bid to force me to engage with the stealth and combat systems more. I hardly ever use the Valor Surge thing, for example, or special attacks, as I can get by without them and forget they're there.

The resonator blast thing also seems inconsistent. Sometimes it appears that my spear is charged up enough, so I'll tap R2 in order to plant the weakpoint on the enemy, but it just doesn't work and I end up hitting them again, whereas other times it works perfectly. Perhaps the spear isn't charged properly, but it's difficult to tell when there's so much visual information on screen as it is. 

36 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I might have to give the motion aiming a go. I find a lot of the combat is spent desperately trying to hit tiny areas on machines that are all over the place and it can be really finicky at times. I don’t think it helps that you have very little situational awareness when trying to aim, either. 

I tried motion aiming but it fucked up the auto-lock when using the focus to analyse machine components. They might've patched that.

4 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Did you start on Hard? I'm playing on Normal but might crank it up in a bid to force me to engage with the stealth and combat systems more. I hardly ever use the Valor Surge thing, for example, or special attacks, as I can get by without them and forget they're there.

The resonator blast thing also seems inconsistent. Sometimes it appears that my spear is charged up enough, so I'll tap R2 in order to plant the weakpoint on the enemy, but it just doesn't work and I end up hitting them again, whereas other times it works perfectly. Perhaps the spear isn't charged properly, but it's difficult to tell when there's so much visual information on screen as it is. 

The Weapon Skills are extremely useful, in particular the explosive shot and long-range shot on the sharpshot bows. Plus, of course, nocking up three arrows on the regular hunter bow.

Valour Surges are easy to forget about. Personally, I just stuck to two, alternating between them depending on the engagement. The 'Power shots' one, which can really increase the damage on Sharpshot arrows when you're firing from stealth (and thus can guarantee a hit on a weak spot). Great way to start an engagement with some massive damage, especially if it triggers an explosive weak point! Then I used the stealth surge (the one that cloaks you) on rebel camps and smaller enemies, as when fully levelled up a stealth attack does huge damage, which is great for taking human heavies and smaller machines out of the fight right from the start.

The resonator blast took me a while to figure out. You need to have all four rings on the hilt of your spear glowing blue. By default the rings glow purple when you've only got 1, 2 or 3 powered up. Once it's powered up, it stays powered up until you do a heavy attack. Any heavy attack should apply an explosive point if it makes contact. The best way to use it is with the R1 -> hold R2 combo, which pushes you away from enemy and into the air, so you can fire a slow-mo arrow at the weak spot immediately after applying it. This works particularly well on human enemies as it alway applies the weak spot to their chest armour, which is the biggest target. Make sure to have a hunter or warrior bow equipped first though!

For rebel camps, by far the most fun way to do it, I found, was to identify enemies without helmets and headshot shot them with a sharpshot bow's long range arrow. Also pick off any outlying patrols who happen to wander near long grass, or who can be tempted into it with a rock throw. Trap enemy bodies. Lay fiery tripwires. Finish off the last few with melee combos and resonator blasts. Use the stealth valour surge to sneak up on the leader. It's great fun.

6 minutes ago, Pob said:

The resonator blast took me a while to figure out. You need to have all four rings on the hilt of your spear glowing blue. By default the rings glow purple when you've only got 1, 2 or 3 powered up. Once it's powered up, it stays powered up until you do a heavy attack.

So is it just four hits to power it up to the point where you can plant the resonator, or is it more than that?