(PS5) Ratchet & Clank - Rift Apart

gospvg

47 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

What has wowed you more out of interest? I haven’t played this yet nor Returnal. I thought Miles RT60 was brilliant and Ghost of Tsushima looks amazing (but I never played that on PS4). 

I’ve played all of the most graphically impressive PS5 and PS4 games and imo, this is waaaaaay out in the lead in terms of visuals. It’s absolutely staggering in places just how good it looks. Before this came out I’d have probably gone for Spider-Man, Demon’s or God of War. In terms of gameplay though, hands down its Returnal!

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla is very impressive when flying up high and checking out the landscape with the bird too. I guess some people could find that more impressive for its scale and open world.

4 hours ago, Wiper said:

Quick query for those who have the game: how does it control?

To be more specific: I've only ever played the first Ratchet & Clank (PS2 and remastered), and never got on with it because of the controls, which just felt weirdly 'weightless' - lacking in friction or momentum. It's something I also found with Sunset Overdrive, which I wanted to love but whose sense of motion always felt a bit off, floaty and insubstantial. But then, Insomniac also made the recent Spider-Man games, both of which feel absolutely lovely to move around in. I obviously don't expect Ratchet to control like Spider-Man, but how does this compare to R&C1/SO in terms of 'weight'?

The original R&C and the remake (and indeed every game from the 3rd one onwards) had completely different control systems though?

The original game was

primarily a platformer with guns and therefore aiming stuff accurately was a real

nightmare. All the games since 3 onwards have played like 3rd person shooters that  are heavy on the jumping.

I dunno I can’t say I found the remake or indeed Sunset Overdrive any less satisfying to control than Spider-man.

But the controls in the original PS1 Ratchet were terrible and I imagine that will not be the case here..

Regarding the visuals, they are fucking lovely, but is it the best looking game ever made to date?

Not for me.

Cyberpunk 2077 on a good PC beats it, quite comfortably actually. 

3 hours ago, scoobysi said:

What has wowed you more out of interest? I haven’t played this yet nor Returnal. I thought Miles RT60 was brilliant and Ghost of Tsushima looks amazing (but I never played that on PS4). 

Like a goddamn psychic. Miles RT60 and even more so the Spidey update and GoT all stopped me in my tracks repeatedly, had me saying ‘just fucking look at it’ to the missus, and had me hammering photo mode.

This is very lovely, but I’ve not felt the need to take shots, or even question how what I was seeing was possible. Likely more to do with the art direction, and admittedly I’m early doors (3 worlds and a few pocket dimensions), but I’ve already moved past the looks and am just enjoying the gameplay.

Speaking of the gameplay, I was all Billy big bollocks earlier playing it on the highest difficulty. Then I got to the

Spoiler

Robo pirate rocket firing boss in the Zurkon Jr. space bar arena.

Fuck me, that is a big ramp up in difficulty. Had maybe 10 goes before I gave up, barely dented him, and the whole place is a fucking deathtrap. Kudos if you can beat that on max difficulty. Dropped it down two pegs to get through, and then back up to max, which is so far pretty easy for the normal mobs and mini bosses. I imagine this step-down might become a thing for some more of the bosses if they’re like that last bast.

2 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

The original R&C and the remake (and indeed every game from the 3rd one onwards) had completely different control systems though?

The original game was

primarily a platformer with guns and therefore aiming stuff accurately was a real

nightmare. All the games since 3 onwards have played like 3rd person shooters that  are heavy on the jumping.

Ah, that's entirely possible: I last played the original back in 2005/6, and my main recollection of the game was not getting on with the controls. So when I played the remake last year and again didn't get on with the controls, I just assumed they shared similar handling — retroactively applying the modern controls to the game in my memories. Memory is a strange thing.

23 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Speaking of the gameplay, I was all Billy big bollocks earlier playing it on the highest difficulty. Then I got to the

Reveal hidden contents

Robo pirate rocket firing boss in the Zurkon Jr. space bar arena.

Fuck me, that is a big ramp up in difficulty. Had maybe 10 goes before I gave up, barely dented him, and the whole place is a fucking deathtrap. Kudos if you can beat that on max difficulty. Dropped it down two pegs to get through, and then back up to max, which is so far pretty easy for the normal mobs and mini bosses. I imagine this step-down might become a thing for some more of the bosses if they’re like that last bast.

Ha! I did that first go and smashed him to bits with grenades and the shotgun. Pretty sure there are endlessly re-spawning health and ammo pickups in the middle of the arena.

It was the challenge after that one with the 25 enemies and the lava I found tricky, due to the flying enemies. Almost like a re-run of the Tie Fighter things on Returnal! Up to that point in the game I don’t think I’d died once on anything, The challenge after that one is ludicrously easy too as it’s a Race/Time Trial and the difficulty level only seems to adjust the damage enemies do and nothing else. It’s a shame, as part of the reason I love games so much is the challenge of beating them, but I think it shows just how fun this is, as I’ve still really enjoyed my time with it so far.

27 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Ah, that's entirely possible: I last played the original back in 2005/6, and my main recollection of the game was not getting on with the controls. So when I played the remake last year and again didn't get on with the controls, I just assumed they shared similar handling — retroactively applying the modern controls to the game in my memories. Memory is a strange thing.

I think the controls have definitely been polished from the PS4 game and the combat feels better. The Haptics also help with things - feeling the characters walking/running and how the various weapons respond etc. It’s subtle, but it works well. 

Played a good chunk of this and really enjoying the combat on the highest difficulty. Lots of dashing, double jumping and weapon switching.

Blizar 

Spoiler

is that what it's called, the planet that switches between two states when you hit the purple crystal?

is the biggest visual treat so far and the Fixer setpiece was both a lot of fun and visually stunning.

Just a really gamey, fun game.

Not sure if I'm missing something with the purple collectables on the second world. Loads of them are hidden on top of buildings. You can't shoot them, you can't fly into them with your dragon. Should I just leave them for later or should I be able to collect them now?

6 minutes ago, Majora said:

Not sure if I'm missing something with the purple collectables on the second world. Loads of them are hidden on top of buildings. You can't shoot them, you can't fly into them with your dragon. Should I just leave them for later or should I be able to collect them now?

Leave for later, or maybe collect all the ground ones, I forget what triggers that.

6 minutes ago, Majora said:

You need to:

Spoiler

Collect 45 from the ground first. Then you get something to allow you to get the rest.

Kinda annoying they didn't seem to explain this. I spent ages hammering the buttons trying to get off.

If anyone else was wondering why there's a Croatian subtitle option, it seems to be that usually it would detect language from the PS OS - but it doesn't support Croatian, so you pick English in the OS and Croatian in game.

I liked that the game lets you use rewards from collectables during the first playthrough - change bolts, weapon skins, render modes.

17 hours ago, Thor said:

Regarding the visuals, they are fucking lovely, but is it the best looking game ever made to date?

Not for me.

Cyberpunk 2077 on a good PC beats it, quite comfortably actually. 

It's entirely subjective but I'm not sure I agree.  Taking the entire artistic design as a whole, so not just talking technicalities, I think this is the best looking game I've ever seen. It's a moot point though because they're both agonisingly gorgeous games.  The fact that this is running on a £400 console however, is mind boggling.

1 hour ago, Nathan Wind said:

The fact that this is running on a £400 console however, is mind boggling.

I’m with you on that 100% and to think we are only 6 months into this generation of consoles 🙂

I’ve only reached the third location thus far and I’m continually just standing still and rotating the camera in amazement at the technical magic on show. 

I started this on hard difficulty, or whatever it’s called (the one above default). But it’s actually really hard. I was expecting it to be fairly easy for some reason but I’m already stuck on a boss fight.

I think I'm coming to the end of this. 

Some idiots were raging at Edge giving it 7. A 7 seems totally fair.

I'm probably one of the biggest fans of the series on here, but even I don't have a problem with an Edge 7.

Whilst there's some new and welcome touches and the scale of it has been vastly expanded, this is still fundamentally a Ratchet & Clank game and whilst Insomniac are displaying a masterful use of the tech, the gameplay conventions of the series remain firmly in place.

That's fine though. I said earlier how I'm actually pleased that Insomniac have resisted the temptation to reinvent the wheel with this series and have instead chosen to scale the ambitions of the franchise to the possibilities of the host hardware. They've stayed true to the core tennents of what people love about these games without resting on their laurels.

The joke about an "Edge 6" has lasted because it rings true for so many. Often times you're not looking for revolutionary or even experimental, you just want a good time and for my money, this game delivers that in spades.

Remember thinking when i was playing this that the resolution takes a massive hit and it didnt seem as nice as some are saying....

Well... if you have the 120hz set at automatic in the system setting then it fucks up the image. I just read about it. Turned it off and if feels like a new game. Very annoyed as im near the end. 

2 hours ago, Ry said:

Remember thinking when i was playing this that the resolution takes a massive hit and it didnt seem as nice as some are saying....

Well... if you have the 120hz set at automatic in the system setting then it fucks up the image. I just read about it. Turned it off and if feels like a new game. Very annoyed as im near the end. 

Unlucky. I posted about it bottom of page 8.

I have to say, I'm enjoying the gameplay immensely. It probably helps that my previous experience of these sorts of 3D mascot shooters ran out after Jet Force Gemini and Fur Fighters so it's pretty fresh to me. It feels nice and weighty.

On 11/06/2021 at 18:32, Marlew said:

Standard Xbox cunts in here on the cope. Rllmuk changed none. 

😂😂😂

We’re running a bit behind but really? Assuming you’re an adult, can you post like one.

I finished my initial playthrough on the difficulty that is one step down from normal. For NG+ I now have it in the hardest setting and it's great fun but still quite easy. 

I love these games. :D

3 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

We’re running a bit behind but really? Assuming you’re an adult, can you post like one.

Absolutely terrible post, I'll hold my hands up. I was wrong to react and bring the tone down. 

In future, shall I just collate the console war posts and report them en bloc? 

10 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Absolutely terrible post, I'll hold my hands up. I was wrong to react and bring the tone down. 

In future, shall I just collate the console war posts and report them en bloc? 

Please do, we’re trying to post in threads asking people to knock it off and explain that different people like different things, if some likes x it doesn’t mean they hate y and that kind of thing but something seems to have kicked off in the last week that’s made everyone argumentative.

I didn’t see the tone before your post - yours was reported a few times so I just responded to that to be open about it. If you’re being sarcastic and people were chucking insults around, let me know and I’ll take a look :)

@Kryptonian I am sorry that my frustration at all the console war shite on here led to a number of reports (well deserved).

I'm not going to report a load of posts, I'm not convinced that's very helpful, but if you get time over the coming days I'd be interested in your perspective on the relevant thread in Feedback.