(PS5) Ratchet & Clank - Rift Apart

gospvg

On 03/07/2021 at 07:12, koefoed said:

The 40 fps fidelity mode is really nice, much more playable than when running at 30 fps. Much less judder and much loger input lag.

I can't believe the difference. Just started playing, put it in fidelity and it felt awful. Till I realised there was a toggle in the menu. Looks amazing and plays smooth now. Impressed

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished up the platinum on this earlier and I've had an absolute ball for the entire 15 hours or so that took. I don't know what anyone that didn't like it was expecting exactly but, as an all-singing, all-dancing next-gen version of Ratchet & Clank, it did pretty much everything it needed to for me.

It is outrageously good looking, didn't drop a frame at any point (in Performance RT mode), doesn't outstay its welcome or insist upon any tedious grind for the trophies, and is just good clean fun throughout. It's totally undemanding, especially if you don't increase the default difficulty level, and there definitely aren't going to be any awards for gameplay or plot innovation forthcoming, but I just don't feel I need that from every game. It's beautifully crafted, clearly with love too, and just great fun to blast through, especially on the challenge mode that's unlocked after completion.

Insomniac really are an outstanding developer - the first Spiderman, MM, and then this is a hell of a run in the space of 3 years.

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve just made a start on this and I’m very impressed. Not just by the visuals, but by how well it’s paced - gets you straight into the action, story doesn’t feel drawn out, and they’ve made some great changes to the gameplay to increase the overall pace of it - I don’t remember any of the other games having a sprint, for example, and the dash is nice, too. 

Very impressed. It’s so slick that I can almost see why Sony wanted £70 for it. 

I've never really been a fan of this series but needed something new and shiny to give my PS5 a proper work out, rather than just upscaled PS4 games that I've been playing recently. I got a second hand copy from AVForums and blitzed it over a few days.

Performance RT is a thing of beauty, as someone who grew up with the 8 bit era I'll never tire of being amazed by real reflections in shiny floors & walls.

As for the game, I really enjoyed it, much more than I thought I would.

The haptics with the different weapons work really well and give them all a real unique feel.

Character wise, I did prefer Rivet & Kit to Ratchet & Clank. Maybe that's down to them being new though.

One negative - I could have lived without the Glitch antivirus bits, even if they did look cool.

To sum up - Great game and a real showcase for modern graphics engines, sound, character design & animation.

Like most story based games, I doubt I'll replay it so if anyone wants a bargain copy you should check out the trading forum.

I'm amazed at how good this is. First impressions were good, but since then I've got the hover boots, used them to zip around the open ended level you find them in, did the Titanfall 2-esque level and just did that great bit of railgrinding when you meet The Fixer. The writing is excellent, too.

If you'd told me I would prefer this to Psychonauts 2, I'd have laughed in your face, but I honestly think it's a much better game.

Finished this today. It’s so much tighter and better paced than any other game in the series. The core gameplay is still pretty one note but they’ve added enough to it and kept it brief enough that it never gets boring. Insomniac really are at the top of their game at the moment.