(PS5) Ratchet & Clank - Rift Apart

gospvg

Properly looking forward to this. I understand that if you don't like fun games, that this won't appeal. But I really enjoyed the remake on PS4 (and it was quite the looker back then too!) so I'm positive this one will be great too. Also, it's great to (finally) see a game that gives us a taste of what these shiny new consoles can *really* do.

Currently I'm deeply immersed (literally) in BioShock 2, playing it for the first time ever and it turns out it's by far the best BioShock of the trilogy. So I really need to finish that lost (sunken?) gem first before diving (yes) into Ratchet - but I still have a few days before release.

The hype is real! :omg:

Im on the fence with this. Really want something to play to on PS5 but not sure i can hold out waiting for a heavy sale like i am with Returnal. 

Review embargo is up in 30 mins. 

1 minute ago, jonamok said:

Just buy Returnal, Ry. Best £60 you'll ever spend.

Im not a fan of rouge likes so its a risky purchase.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-06-08-ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart-review

It's just pure craft, pure fun, pure video games - all the brilliant, bizarre ideas this studio has just thrown at the wall and all of them sticking. The only thing it lacks - apart from maybe a tiny bit of restraint - is pretence. There's no self-seriousness, no po-faced melodrama, no insecurity about the form. A game that's happy to be a game, in a familiar, cuddly shape.

1 minute ago, Uzi said:

To no ones surprise this is reviewing pretty well

The thing has out (barely out if you count stock) for half a year and we've had Demon's Souls/Spiderman MM/Returnal and now R and C all great games 

https://opencritic.com/game/10994/ratchet-clank-rift-apart

Quite possibly the best first year ever for a Sony console. Forbidden West might be the cherry on top.

2 minutes ago, Uzi said:

To no ones surprise this is reviewing pretty well

The thing has out (barely out if you count stock) for half a year and we've had Demon's Souls/Spiderman MM/Returnal and now R and C all great games 

https://opencritic.com/game/10994/ratchet-clank-rift-apart

I also hugely enjoyed Sackboy: A Big Adventure. All of these games are absolutely superb imo. 

Destruction All Stars might be the only miss-step, but hey! Was "free"!

This, from the Eurogamer review, strikes me as surprising.

One thing that surprised me, a little, was the warping between worlds, which is a bit different to what you might've seen in trailers. The big, between-multiple-dimensions moments, where the hero's falling through the sky and the environment rapidly flicks from one to the next, only come in cutscenes. Most portals that you use in practise are actually like an instant grapple, a short-hop teleportation, basically, where you tap L1 at a pre-fixed portal and instantly pop out the other side. It is slightly, slightly, less impressive than repeatedly teleporting through entire worlds, but there's still a wonderful zip to it, a sense of whiplash to how the whole world zooms forwards over you like you just concertinaed space-time onto itself, the pencil-through-folded-paper approach of an actual wormhole.

I'd thought that sort of thing, rather than the battlefield shortcuts, was sort of the thing that the SSD POWER was bringing.

2 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I also hugely enjoyed Sackboy: A Big Adventure. All of these games are absolutely superb imo. 

Destruction All Stars might be the only miss-step, but hey! Was "free"!

Says a lot when completely decent games like sackboy are forgotten due to the other stuff (due to astrobot being packed in for me) - plus it being a PS4 PRO on steroids helps when playing stuff like God of War/Days Gone etc. Really pleased with the output so far - the only headache is avoiding the £70 thingy but easy enough with some shopping around to get stuff down to £55-60

Ended up buying it, sounds amazing. Although paying in instalments. 

Will have it up for sale here probably middle of next week (i very rarely replay games)

6 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Says a lot when completely decent games like sackboy are forgotten due to the other stuff (due to astrobot being packed in for me) - plus it being a PS4 PRO on steroids helps when playing stuff like God of War/Days Gone etc. Really pleased with the output so far - the only headache is avoiding the £70 thingy but easy enough with some shopping around to get stuff down to £55-60

Hah! ...and I even forgot about Astrobot, and that was my top game of last year in the rllmuk poll! 

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Im on the fence with this. Really want something to play to on PS5 but not sure i can hold out waiting for a heavy sale like i am with Returnal. 

Review embargo is up in 30 mins. 

Strangely enough I think we are starting to see signs that the £70 quid price tag for PS5 games may actually result in this.  Not in terms of heavy discount from new, but through over saturation of the second hand market.  

The only way a lot of people seem to be able to justify a new purchase at those prices, is to trade in a game they may have held onto in previous generations once they have finished with it.  I imagine the growth of PS Plus and Now also help with this thinking.

Anyway the upshot is lots of games getting traded in means nice discounts, and me picking up Miles Morales from Game for under twenty quid at the weekend.:hat:

Bit of a bummer if you have gone digital only though I guess.

The DF review goes more in-depth on the rifts. And all the other tech they're doing. Unfortunately it spoils some really cool stuff in one of the later worlds.
The comparison with Infinite is a bit unfair, given that the rifts are a big part of the gameplay still. And there are near seamless transistions between completely different worlds, but the game still needs to load. It does it blisteringly fast though, so you hardly notice it does. 

3 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Strangely enough I think we are starting to see signs that the £70 quid price tag for PS5 games may actually result in this.  Not in terms of heavy discount  from new, but through over saturation of the second hand market.  

The only way a lot of people seem to be able to justify a new purchase at those prices, is to trade in a game they may have held onto in previous generations once they have finished with it.  I imagine the growth of PS Plus and Now also help with this thinking.

Anyway the upshot is lots of games getting traded in means nice discounts and me picking up Miles Morales from Game for under twenty quid at the weekend.:hat:

Bit of a bummer if you have gone digital only though I guess.

I ended up buying it (in 4 installments via shopto) I will have it sold as soon as im finished next week so i wont lose much on it anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

The DF review goes more in-depth on the rifts. And all the other tech they're doing. Unfortunately it spoils some really cool stuff in one of the later worlds.
The comparison with Infinite is a bit unfair, given that the rifts are a big part of the gameplay still. And there are near seamless transistions between completely different worlds, but the game still needs to load. It does it blisteringly fast though, so you hardly notice it does. 

Same with the RE8 one, and all of these day one tech dives that they're doing. Total spoiler city that I just have to ignore for the time being...

7 minutes ago, Ry said:

I ended up buying it (in 4 installments via shopto) I will have it sold as soon as im finished next week so i wont lose much on it anyway. 

Point proven.:sealclap: