Star Wars Squadrons - PC/PS4/XB1/VR!

ravnaz

44 minutes ago, Pob said:

I mean like a fighter plane, silly. 

It occurs to me how that I’ve never had much luck dogfighting with a pad, it’s always felt really awkward. I only ever played the old X-Wing games with a 3-axis stick, so maybe it’s that. 

Battlefront 2 has a kind of ‘easy mode’ system where the left stick basically banks and turns the fighter when you press left or right. I resorted to that when I played that game. I think perhaps the old X-Wing games used a similar system. Squadrons is more like flying an actual fighter jet where left/right just rolls the ship like a corkscrew. 

More experimentation needed. 

I’ve not played it yet, but is yaw actually needed? Obviously it’s useful in a real plane, but I’m not sure it is in an X-Wing.

2 minutes ago, Rev said:

I’ve not played it yet, but is yaw actually needed? Obviously it’s useful in a real plane, but I’m not sure it is in an X-Wing.

Yaw seems to have much more effect in this than it does a real plane (by which I mean a videogame plane). You rotate pretty fast left and right, whereas the effect is quite minimal in the flying games I’ve played.

I can’t imagine being able to track a target with just pitch and roll. 

Still thinking that the old games had a simplified ‘bank left and right’ system rather. Am I misremembering?

I'm not even a star wars fan but I bought this, seems like the kind of escapist stuff I need right now. 

Big publishers should be encouraged to put out more games at this scale and price, if the triple A (quadruple A?) stuff is going to be 70+ quid next gen. 

6 minutes ago, Pob said:

Yaw seems to have much more effect in this than it does a real plane (by which I mean a videogame plane). You rotate pretty fast left and right, whereas the effect is quite minimal in the flying games I’ve played.

I can’t imagine being able to track a target with just pitch and roll. 

Still thinking that the old games had a simplified ‘bank left and right’ system rather. Am I misremembering?

I don’t think you’re remembering entirely, but you’re not wrong either. Not sure about if you had a three-axis stick, but the default was to bank and loop then hold down a secondary joystick button to roll. I think you’re probably forgetting the holding-down-button bit.

6 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I'm not even a star wars fan but I bought this, seems like the kind of escapist stuff I need right now. 

Big publishers should be encouraged to put out more games at this scale and price, if the triple A (quadruple A?) stuff is going to be 70+ quid next gen. 

X-Wing was better than Star Wars. 

21 minutes ago, Rev said:

I don’t think you’re remembering entirely, but you’re not wrong either. Not sure about if you had a three-axis stick, but the default was to bank and loop then hold down a secondary joystick button to roll. I think you’re probably forgetting the holding-down-button bit.

Yes, I did have a 3-axis stick. You’re right, it was the ‘twist’ axis to roll the ship (which I’ve just read was only added for X-Wing Alliance) left/right did a yaw/bank turning-type motion rather than the standard yaw you’d get on an actual plane. 

1 hour ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Or the zero-g version of manœuvres like this...

OpenDishonestDogfish-max-1mb.gif

The actual fuck?! How much of a rock star must that pilot be :lol: goes to their mate Pete the Accountants house for a BBQ and tries not to talk about how work was.

Right, I've sorted the controls and this is now excellent. Pitch/yaw works best on a single stick (as it is by default), with roll/throttle on the other. I changed the controls to 'southpaw' which puts pitch/yaw on the left stick.

The throttle has a great feature called 'friction' which means it 'sticks' around that sweet middle spot that makes turning faster. This is a great assist for pad users - it works perfectly.

I put the HUD onto 'instruments only' after the prologue and to be honest I couldn't even tell you what was taken away except for a lot of ugly UI. Everything you need is there in the physical cockpit displays.

The power management works brilliantly and is really intuitively mapped. I don't really see the need to turn on the more fine-grained tuning. You just whack all power into the thing you need most at any given time.

Shield management is all done by a single button, and I found the 'combo' option much better. This means that you single tap for full-rear shields, double tap for full-forward and hold to balance. This is much better than the pop-up thing that it defaults to, so change that.

The only thing I'm really missing is the 'match target's speed' shortcut. I used to use that all time to stay on a target's six, and I feel it's still needed.

Going to try online now...

15 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

@Pob are you using a stick? I will be on the pad and have always went fairly sim focussed for controls on Ace Combat and other flyers so sounds like there is all customisation anyone could need.

Pad. Yeah it has everything, you can remap it all. They’ve done a great job on getting most of the old X-Wing controls really well mapped. 

Hmmm, I have some serious performance issues with Rift S even after dropping the quality to medium, could be my super sampling settings. I'm wondering if it's because I bought it through Steam, and it wasn't giving me the option to run it in Oculus mode. I've requested a refund and repurchased on Origin which apparently plays a lot nicer with the Rift S.

Pretty disappointed after a first go, VR/HOTAS implementation doesn't seem that good.  Going to bed now, so I'll need to try again tomorrow, but so far:

Controls are weird.  My Thrustmaster T-Flight doesn't seem to be recognised by the game so I've had to map everything, struggling with menu controls and it feels odd in flight.  Not sure why they've disabled the mouse pointer in VR, seems needlessly sadistic.

Audio comes out of my rift speakers when I switch to VR, and I don't seem to be able to switch it back to my amp.  I hope this is fixable as it's a deal breaker for me.

Graphics look really poor in VR and super sampling doesn't seem to help.  Feels like there's something wrong here too.

So yeah, not great first impressions.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Hmmm, I have some serious performance issues with Rift S even after dropping the quality to medium, could be my super sampling settings. I'm wondering if it's because I bought it through Steam, and it wasn't giving me the option to run it in Oculus mode. I've requested a refund and repurchased on Origin which apparently plays a lot nicer with the Rift S.

Sounds like the issues Dirt Rally 2.0 had on Steam before they enabled proper Oculus support :(

I’m just on a pad and I have absolutely no complaints with the controls, interface or how utterly beautiful it all looks and feels. 

Sure, I can’t fly for shit and have spent the last 20 minutes crashing into friendly ships but I was really worried about being able to instantly feel like I knew what I was doing. I’m thinking about stick movements before I do them right now to make sure I get the manoeuvre I want, but it will all click after a bit of time just playing with the controls.

1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

Sounds like the issues Dirt Rally 2.0 had on Steam before they enabled proper Oculus support :(

Disabling MSI Afterburner has made the game playable at least. But like you I'm also disappointed at some of the visuals, that skybox is sheeeeeiiiiittt. However my T Flight Hotas works just fine, have you made sure to switch to PC mode on the throttle? If the PS button is red it's in PS4 mode, press it to change to green and you should be good to go. 

It's fine. Not as good as I was expecting. GFX are passable. It's vaguely reminiscent of XWing, which is good. The multiplayer is like pretty much any other multiplayer flying game ever. I assumed with the smaller squadron sizes it might be able to feel a bit more cohesive, but sadly it's the same choice between knife fighting/turning battles or speeding away and K-turning and the missile spam is really annoying. A lot of it is strangely lofi. UI bits and bobs seem archaic at times - it feels a bit like the price tag was stapled on when they realised it wasn't going to be a title capable of commanding AAA status. 

It'll be £10 in about 4 weeks with 20 people playing it. But for what it is, it's OK I guess. 

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Looks like I made the right choice for a change and went through Origin... :) 

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Disabling MSI Afterburner has made the game playable at least. But like you I'm also disappointed at some of the visuals, that skybox is sheeeeeiiiiittt. However my T Flight Hotas works just fine, have you made sure to switch to PC mode on the throttle? If the PS button is red it's in PS4 mode, press it to change to green and you should be good to go. 

What GPU are you running it with?

1 hour ago, papalazarou said:

@Thor did you find any improvements via the Origin version over the steam version - tried last night and vr via Wi-Fi (on quest) was borderline playable (link cable was stuttery mess).  Does the origin version not use steam vr as well or does it by pass it? 

Nope, though it did save me a fiver as I paid £34.99 on Steam (now refunded) and £29.99 on Origin from CDKeys.

MSI Afterburner was definitely the culprit here. And to my knowledge the Origin version does not use steam.

20 minutes ago, MattyP said:

What GPU are you running it with?

2080ti - it's not my PC.

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

Nope, though it did save me a fiver as I paid £34.99 on Steam (now refunded) and £29.99 on Origin from CDKeys.

MSI Afterburner was definitely the culprit here. And to my knowledge the Origin version does not use steam.

2080ti - it's not my PC.

Looks at my 980ti.. .oh oh.... :D 

@Thor just retried myself there in steam and now it’s playable (with the odd judder)  didn’t see any additional patches  downloading this morning - so lot sure what is going on (don’t have afterburner running myself) hopefully they see sense and implement native oculus runtime with it

I'm pretty gutted I bought a code for this from CD-Keys, as there's no chance of a refund.  Very disappointed with the game after trying it last night and the impressions I've read this morning haven't helped.  Annoyed with myself for getting caught up on the hype train for this.