Star Wars Squadrons - PC/PS4/XB1/VR!

I'm pretty gutted I bought a code for this from CD-Keys, as there's no chance of a refund.  Very disappointed with the game after trying it last night and the impressions I've read this morning haven't helped.  Annoyed with myself for getting caught up on the hype train for this.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Disabling MSI Afterburner has made the game playable at least. But like you I'm also disappointed at some of the visuals, that skybox is sheeeeeiiiiittt. However my T Flight Hotas works just fine, have you made sure to switch to PC mode on the throttle? If the PS button is red it's in PS4 mode, press it to change to green and you should be good to go. 

My stick is pretty old now, it's the T-Flight HOTAS X which has PC and PS3 modes.  It's defo on PC mode though and I'd imagine the internals are pretty much identical to your stick, so it's strange it doesn't work properly.

2 minutes ago, Scribblor said:

If I bought this on Xbox through the Microsoft store, I wouldn't be able to play it on PC without buying another copy, right? 

You would not be able to. It's not (as far as I'm aware) a Play Anywhere title

41 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

My stick is pretty old now, it's the T-Flight HOTAS X which has PC and PS3 modes.  It's defo on PC mode though and I'd imagine the internals are pretty much identical to your stick, so it's strange it doesn't work properly.

That is odd. :(

53 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I'm pretty gutted I bought a code for this from CD-Keys, as there's no chance of a refund.  Very disappointed with the game after trying it last night and the impressions I've read this morning haven't helped.  Annoyed with myself for getting caught up on the hype train for this.

Snap, I really wish I'd just gone to bed after requesting the refund instead of jumping the gun and grabbing the Origin key from CDKeys. Still, there's every chance performance will be patched/fixed. 

1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

That's a shame :( 

I had a quick go last night, but spent all of the time in the menus mapping my HOTAS and sorting out the graphics options.  Still got some work to do for the mapping of the throttle (it had detected my sim racing pedals and mapped to those :D ) and I'm pretty sure the mapping for the other functions is a bit strange.  Also, the game booted up in HDR mode despite having it turned off in Windows and the monitor, so the colours were all washed out and I couldn't change that until I was through the character select and into the game proper.  And the low resolution videos looked awful, coupled with the game failing to detect my 3080 and defaulting all graphics settings to the lowest.  So there was a lot of fiddling last night.

Hopefully I can actually play the game tonight! :D  

9 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

Pretty disappointed after a first go, VR/HOTAS implementation doesn't seem that good.  Going to bed now, so I'll need to try again tomorrow, but so far:

Controls are weird.  My Thrustmaster T-Flight doesn't seem to be recognised by the game so I've had to map everything, struggling with menu controls and it feels odd in flight.  Not sure why they've disabled the mouse pointer in VR, seems needlessly sadistic.

Audio comes out of my rift speakers when I switch to VR, and I don't seem to be able to switch it back to my amp.  I hope this is fixable as it's a deal breaker for me.

Graphics look really poor in VR and super sampling doesn't seem to help.  Feels like there's something wrong here too.

So yeah, not great first impressions.

Sorry to hear that....  Still looking forward to it... downloading as I speak.... 

45 minutes ago, Thor said:

Still, there's every chance performance will be patched/fixed. 

It will be... looking at the specs for the game they are fairly mimimal TBH so it will be something hopefully fairly trivial... Looking forward to seeing how it runs on my setup later... :-\ My expectations have been suitably set to lowish though.... 

just finished the prolouge (quest via wifi streaming) and really not sure what was going on last night but performance was a  dogs backside (very strange as when i moved my head around  inside the cockpit it was buttery smooth - but everything happening outside the cockpit was a stuttering and freezing)    this morning though performance is nearly fine (the occasional judder) but ive got it rammped up to medium and im able to play it (wil trying going up to high settings later) 

Beyond it looking great in VR there are certainly a lot of control options. I'm playing on a DS4 and I've gone with default (non inverted). I tried it with inverted and at the very beginning I felt that that would make sense but I just couldn't get on with it. I do wonder if this is because pitch is on the right stick as opposed to the left stick. Basically the default feels almost like controlling a standard FPS, in that LOOK is on the right and then you have kind of forward and back on the left (in that you have speed up and speed down), and then roll replacing strafe! I was amazed how quickly I got used to the controls.

The power management is also pretty simple off the bat using the d-pad to move power between engines, weapons, (and shields on ships that have them). At the moment the default just moves whichever you select to full power but I think you can change this to increments if you want more control of balance.

2 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

At the moment the default just moves whichever you select to full power but I think you can change this to increments if you want more control of balance.

Yeah you can - you can customise so the power bars etc go up in smaller increments so you can say have 2/3 engines and 1/3 guns but no shields - and then rebalance to what you want - adds more sim like management to the game 

3 minutes ago, Dave White said:

Really want to hear about the MP and if you think it’s a deep experience or just a sugar rush that will tire quickly. 

The latter, sadly. I don't think it's much more involved than the stuff in Battlefront. Without free to play I suspect it'll be pretty dead within the month.

25 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

The latter, sadly. I don't think it's much more involved than the stuff in Battlefront. Without free to play I suspect it'll be pretty dead within the month.

thanks fella, think ill stick with Battlefront 2

DHad a quick blast on the PSVR and it does look pretty great. I also have a Quest and was impressed with how smooth the experience was in comparison to some stuff on that. 

Only bugger is I went to Argos to buy a hot as this morning and my PS4 doesn’t recognised it atall... doesn’t say anything in the instructions... but am I supposed to switch something on in the PS4 menus?

Playing on the Xbox with a HOTAS, really enjoying it so far, annoying that you have to have a controller on as some of the on screen prompts (like press X to begin right after loading) dont get recognized on the stick, it also means you need to have the standard controller plugged in via usb so it doesnt turn off every five minutes....

Also came across a bug in the Fleet Battle tutorial where I destroyed the Star Destroyer power generator before it asked me to and wouldnt let me progress. restarting and waiting till I was required to destroy it sorted things.

Played a few more missions and have to say that I am loving it. It's slowly introducing more of the management options (such as who you target, how to balance shields front and back). Just had a large scale battle and being able to look around in VR just adds immerserably to being able to track the enemy, it just feels so natural.

To be honest, unless it goes to complete crap in the next few missions I'm really surprised that they decided to release this at £35, I mean don't get me wrong I'm very happy that they did, but I just can't see why they don't think it's a £50 game considering what is out there at that RRP. When the price was announced I was convinced it was going to be a really lightweight single player campaign and the meat was going to be in the multi player, but the campaign has really high production values, and the length sounds perfect to me. The missions all have an amount of replayability as well because they are medals for certain criteria per mission.

27 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Played a few more missions and have to say that I am loving it. It's slowly introducing more of the management options (such as who you target, how to balance shields front and back). Just had a large scale battle and being able to look around in VR just adds immerserably to being able to track the enemy, it just feels so natural.

To be honest, unless it goes to complete crap in the next few missions I'm really surprised that they decided to release this at £35, I mean don't get me wrong I'm very happy that they did, but I just can't see why they don't think it's a £50 game considering what is out there at that RRP. When the price was announced I was convinced it was going to be a really lightweight single player campaign and the meat was going to be in the multi player, but the campaign has really high production values, and the length sounds perfect to me. The missions all have an amount of replayability as well because they are medals for certain criteria per mission.

This is very good news and makes me want to persevere later :)

I probably would have anyway, because this game is something I've been dreaming of since being obsessed with X-Wing and TIE Fighter as a teenager.  Positive impressions always help though!

Just booted it looks great nice and smooth! Just running at 1080p though with vertical sync on....

Getting the VR stuff working will have to wait though. Connected my headset. Switched "VR mode" on the settings menu and the game crashed out. :) Will need further investigation 

TBH VR is a bit of a mess on the PC. Gone are the days where you bought a device installed a bunch of drivers and then used it wherever your device is supported.

With Oculus S you essentially are buying into an ecosystem where you have to run everything through their interface and install something that allows you to sideload Steam games. Not what I really expected before getting my headset. Oh well. Anyone considering an Oculus headset that connects to the PC needs to be mindful of this.

2 minutes ago, MattyP said:

With Oculus S you essentially are buying into an ecosystem where you have to run everything through their interface and install something that allows you to sideload Steam games. Not what I really expected before getting my headset. Oh well. Anyone considering an Oculus headset that connects to the PC needs to be mindful of this.

Virtual Desktop should make it easier to launch into SteamVR. You can also add Steam games right into it's launcher, although I don't remember actually having to do that. Can't you just launch the game in SteamVR mode?

1 minute ago, Mogster said:

Virtual Desktop should make it easier to launch into SteamVR. You can also add Steam games right into it's launcher, although I don't remember actually having to do that. Can't you just launch the game in SteamVR mode?

I got it in Origin :)

3 minutes ago, MattyP said:

I got it in Origin :)

Ah, sorry I got confused by your Steam VR talk at the end.

Anyway, this is great. I've only played the prologue so far, and not in VR, but it's exactly what I've wanted for a long, long time. :D