Star Wars Squadrons - PC/PS4/XB1/VR!

ravnaz

3 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

Been playing this on PSVR and just finished the Prologue. Have to say that I'm very impressed. Yes it has the usual PSVR blur at distance but playing on a Pro I have to say that I'm impressed with the visuals and flying through the fleet is amazing. Starting in the Tie is slightly underwhelming because of the restricted cockpit view but once you are in an x-wing and it's basically all windows it's really amazing, the freedom afforded by being able to look around you as you track the enemy is fantastic. Watching capital ships jump in is amazing.

Performance on the Pro is perfect from what I can tell, haven't noticed any stutter or other issues that are being reported on PC.

Production values seem pretty high as well, even if you do have to watch the cut scenes in 2D, but I can live with that as they are so far quite well put together.

As an aside going back to PSVR after a long while, having been playing on the Quest for a long time, it's reminded how well put together it is. It's just so much more comfortable than the Quest and blocks out exterior light much better as well.

That's 30 notes you've just cost me good sir.

11 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Epic Game Store does returns, right? This looks interesting and I've got another £10 off voucher.

I was expecting to see more reviews. There are a few out, but not many.

Neither of my 2 x £10 vouchers were valid when I tried to use them for this. 

Had 20 minutes or so on standard, non-VR, non-Pro PS4 over lunch.  Couldn't settle on a pad control scheme as default seems to let you actually fly better, but it just doesn't feel right not rolling...  No performance issues on the standard PS4 that I could see, but it was like my console knew I was on my lunch break and should get back to work, as it crashed back to the PS4 dashboard during the prologue TIE mission.  I'll save VR for later :)

10 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

Had 20 minutes or so on standard, non-VR, non-Pro PS4 over lunch.  Couldn't settle on a pad control scheme as default seems to let you actually fly better, but it just doesn't feel right not rolling...  No performance issues on the standard PS4 that I could see, but it was like my console knew I was on my lunch break and should get back to work, as it crashed back to the PS4 dashboard during the prologue TIE mission.  I'll save VR for later :)

When you say not rolling, do you mean it feels weird not rolling on the right stick, because roll is there just on the left stick?

For anyone struggling to get the VR mode working in Origin. You need to set the game video mode to "borderless" or "Windowed" mode.

Had 10 minutes on the first mission of the story mode. This is f**king amazing...just been flying around some star destroyers on the tutorial into bit... then started for real in a meteor belt. :D  Amazing stuff. Lovely and smooth too so far. Just need that HOTAS to turn up now... which looks like it hasn't been dispatched and now is out of stock. :) Oh well... happy with the pad controls for a bit until I can get hold of one....

1 minute ago, metallicfrodo said:

When you say not rolling, do you mean it feels weird not rolling on the right stick, because roll is there just on the left stick?

Indeed - and I've only played for 20 minutes so I may get used to it, but in default mode (pitch and yaw on the right stick, throttle and roll on left stick) you can fly by pretty much just aiming where you want to go with the right stick.  In "aviator" mode, with pitch and roll on the right stick, yaw and throttle on left) you have to combine pitching and rolling together to change direction - rolling on its own just spins you on the axis, which again seems right as there's no lift generated by the wings (and how would that work on a TIE anyway? :))  Maybe the idea is that you're using all 3 axes all the time... but that hurts my head!

Whichever mode I was in I kept finding I'd completely throttled down by accident.  I'm sure that's just pilot error.

Not a complaint... and I only had a really quick go mainly to make sure there were no day 1 patches that would stop me having a proper go later on.

No other reports of (PS4) crashes in here, which is good to hear.  It seemed to be when things started getting a bit 'interesting' in the Prologue.

8 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

Indeed - and I've only played for 20 minutes so I may get used to it, but in default mode (pitch and yaw on the right stick, throttle and roll on left stick) you can fly by pretty much just aiming where you want to go with the right stick.  In "aviator" mode, with pitch and roll on the right stick, yaw and throttle on left) you have to combine pitching and rolling together to change direction - rolling on its own just spins you on the axis, which again seems right as there's no lift generated by the wings (and how would that work on a TIE anyway? :))  Maybe the idea is that you're using all 3 axes all the time... but that hurts my head!

I don't believe there is any difference in how the ship behaves between the control schemes - it's just changes how the axes are mapped. Rolling by itself will always just do a corkscrew no matter which scheme you use. You do really need to combine all three.

49 minutes ago, Pob said:

I don't believe there is any difference in how the ship behaves between the control schemes - it's just changes how the axes are mapped. Rolling by itself will always just do a corkscrew no matter which scheme you use. You do really need to combine all three.

Yep - you're absolutely right - no change at all in the ship's behaviour.  I'm sure it'll all click when I get some more time with it :)

Damn my 48 year oldness Star Wars excitement!

Don't like it. :(

I tried to tell myself I don't enjoy flying games much due to the chasing stuff on all axis's. But the Star Wars precious made me buy it.

Stupid Star Warsisizzz......

2 minutes ago, Benny said:

I get the feeling a lot of Star Wars fans are going to buy this for the pew pew, not expecting it to be a tricky sim like experience.

Tricky sim like experience? I thought it was pew pew. I'm thinking I should have paid some attention to this pre release. I am not sure I like the term "tricky"

28 minutes ago, sandman said:

I am a bit confused - is this only worth getting if you have VR?

Also, as a non VR player - is Ps4 or Xbox version best?

No. But VR makes it hugely more immersive! Once you have played in VR there is no going back. This is the stuff I dreamed about when playing Atari's wireframed version all those years ago. 

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

It is pew pew. There's an element of managing shields/engines/weapons but it's very basic. There is nothing sim about the game.

That's good right? If I wanted to play a sim I'd play MS flight simulator :D

Just now, MattyP said:

That's good right? If I wanted to play a sim I'd play MS flight simulator :D

Depends. From what I played last night I think I prefer the ship combat in Elite Dangerous, and that's far more sim-like. In this the enemies are constantly whizzing around like flies and the twitchy controls don't help when trying to lead my shots. However … that's based on a very brief and very late night go after much technical shenanigans that ended up with me grumpy as fuck. I'll be having a proper go this evening to see how I get on. :)

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

Depends. From what I played last night I think I prefer the ship combat in Elite Dangerous, and that's far more sim-like. In this the enemies are constantly whizzing around like flies and the twitchy controls don't help when trying to lead my shots. However … that's based on a very brief and very late night go after much technical shenanigans that ended up with me grumpy as fuck. I'll be having a proper go this evening to see how I get on. :)

Well, I couldnt control Elite for fuck. I just kept crashing the whole time.  This sounds much more my thing then

Just now, sandman said:

Well, I couldnt control Elite for fuck. I just kept crashing the whole time.  This sounds much more my thing then

Yeah, Elite is … nuanced. :coffee:

:P

Just now, Dirty Harry Potter said:

The Hotas controller is a royal pain In the arse on the PS4.

Do they allow you to switch Yaw and Roll on PS4? The default HOTAS controls on PC are an absolute shit-shower. I had to remap Yaw, Roll, and - would you fucking believe it? - fucking THROTTLE! 

That's right,  the default throttle wasn't mapped to my, you know, FUCKING THROTTLE! EA's developers for this clearly have ZERO concept of how flight sticks work. 

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Do they allow you to switch Yaw and Roll on PS4? The default HOTAS controls on PC are an absolute shit-shower. I had to remap Yaw, Roll, and - would you fucking believe it? - fucking THROTTLE! 

That's right,  the default throttle wasn't mapped to my, you know, FUCKING THROTTLE! EA's developers for this clearly have ZERO concept of how flight sticks work. 

The exact same with buttons mapped completely randomnly (and the PS4/xbox only have two HOTAS between them- so its not like they had many to test).

Remapping every button... was painful.. 

I had a go tonight, purely in VR and using the Hori flight stick. Edit - I should add PS4, as the majority of posts here seem to be about the PC version.

My attempts to remap the controls were the first thing I did, and a bit of a struggle - I did the essential changes first, putting Yaw onto L1/R1 and thrust onto R2/L2. I then tried to put certain weapon controls, countermeasures and target selection onto similar buttons that I am accustomed to with Ace Combat.

I was able to do all of that, but in the process it unmapped certain unknown functions, which I then couldn’t find any available button to remap them to. It shouldn’t be a problem as the stick has all the DS4 buttons, but some are combined (one button works as L2+R2 for example) and Squadrons seems to detect them only as R3 - which leaves you with a shortage of buttons.

Nevertheless, I was able to play it and complete the prologue. It did at one point flash up a message saying important functions were unbound and I should restart after fixing it (no information about which functions) - I didn’t, and I got through it.

I had a bit of a frustrating time trying to locate the targets, but that’s probably just unfamiliarity with the radar etc. Visually the VR didn’t blow my socks off like Ace Combat does, but the ‘being in the cockpit’ feeling is right on point - it’s just the target ships that don’t quite convince - they all have weird highlighting on them or something so they don’t look at all real.

It took me a fair number of retries to escape the star destroyer in the final part of the prologue, and I was feeling the sweats-and-burps a bit from all the lurching about. I was tempted to try out a dogfight match before I quit though, and set a preference for the x-wing team which I was a member of. We won that match, something like 30 points to 8. I hope it’s not a sign of imbalance in the teams. I enjoyed the dogfight much more than the prologue, although I did once again lose track of all the targets for a spell. 8 assists and 2 kills of my own. A lot less than the top player, but leveling up unlocks upgrades so I assume as I play more I will get more effective.

I can see this becoming an obsession if I can get a handle on all the fiddly stuff, but I’m concerned about the flight stick. The Hori provides some hardware-switchable options, and as the game theoretically lets you map all buttons I might be able to figure something out.