Star Wars Squadrons - PC/PS4/XB1/VR!

I had a go tonight, purely in VR and using the Hori flight stick. Edit - I should add PS4, as the majority of posts here seem to be about the PC version.

My attempts to remap the controls were the first thing I did, and a bit of a struggle - I did the essential changes first, putting Yaw onto L1/R1 and thrust onto R2/L2. I then tried to put certain weapon controls, countermeasures and target selection onto similar buttons that I am accustomed to with Ace Combat.

I was able to do all of that, but in the process it unmapped certain unknown functions, which I then couldn’t find any available button to remap them to. It shouldn’t be a problem as the stick has all the DS4 buttons, but some are combined (one button works as L2+R2 for example) and Squadrons seems to detect them only as R3 - which leaves you with a shortage of buttons.

Nevertheless, I was able to play it and complete the prologue. It did at one point flash up a message saying important functions were unbound and I should restart after fixing it (no information about which functions) - I didn’t, and I got through it.

I had a bit of a frustrating time trying to locate the targets, but that’s probably just unfamiliarity with the radar etc. Visually the VR didn’t blow my socks off like Ace Combat does, but the ‘being in the cockpit’ feeling is right on point - it’s just the target ships that don’t quite convince - they all have weird highlighting on them or something so they don’t look at all real.

It took me a fair number of retries to escape the star destroyer in the final part of the prologue, and I was feeling the sweats-and-burps a bit from all the lurching about. I was tempted to try out a dogfight match before I quit though, and set a preference for the x-wing team which I was a member of. We won that match, something like 30 points to 8. I hope it’s not a sign of imbalance in the teams. I enjoyed the dogfight much more than the prologue, although I did once again lose track of all the targets for a spell. 8 assists and 2 kills of my own. A lot less than the top player, but leveling up unlocks upgrades so I assume as I play more I will get more effective.

I can see this becoming an obsession if I can get a handle on all the fiddly stuff, but I’m concerned about the flight stick. The Hori provides some hardware-switchable options, and as the game theoretically lets you map all buttons I might be able to figure something out.

Getting this to work on the Quest was a bit of an experience. Launching from Virtual Desktop's launcher seemed to work, but dumped me in a silent, off colour hanger with one of my characters staring at me. Pressing the menu button dimmed the background as if I should be looking at the menu, but otherwise no controls did anything at all.

I tried launching SteamVR itself after that and starting the game from there, but the game just launched in a 2D window. Launching the game in SteamVR mode just took me to the silent hanger I started with.

Finally, I read about switching to VR mode from the game menu after launching in 2D, and sure enough that worked perfectly, including wirelessly. That doesn't make much difference when you're sitting down with a HOTAS, but it's nice to have one less cable. :)

After all that though I'm not sure if I prefer playing in VR or on TV. VR has immersion going for it, obviously, and it's handy being able to look around. However, the loss of detail makes a big difference, and I found myself spending half my time staring at the radar rather than the action in front of me, especially in the X-Wing. I might just play the whole game on TV, then again in VR. :D

51 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I had a go tonight, purely in VR and using the Hori flight stick. Edit - I should add PS4, as the majority of posts here seem to be about the PC version.

I have the Hori too - can you post your butting remaps? I gave up when it was asking me to add functions I didn’t fully understand how to use..

I found this screen on Pologon (owned by EA according to the copy), but cant find it in the game - is there a dedicated HOTAS control setting anywhere?

9E5FDFF8-1694-42D0-916B-B650E70EB408.jpeg

That’s the Thrustmaster, which probably does get its own config screen (it did in AC7) whereas the Hori is effectively a fancy DS4, so it doesn’t.

It’s nearly 2am here so I’ll try and post my config tomorrow, but bear in mind it’s not a solution - there were a few unassigned functions that I just ignored, didn’t cause me a problem *yet*, but probably will.

Someone on gamefaqs had issues with the ping command being required for mission 3, that was probably one that got unbound for me.

49 minutes ago, Darwock said:

That’s the Thrustmaster, which probably does get its own config screen (it did in AC7) whereas the Hori is effectively a fancy DS4, so it doesn’t.

Ah mine is the Thrustmaster then.  And although I could not find that screen I just tried it out the box and seems to work fine.  Will try the training missions again tomorrow but feels good in VR!

Fuck this game. Just tried the second story mission again aaaaaaanndd ... same juddery performance. I even tried it without the Oculus Tray Tool running (so no added supersampling). It made no difference. It's not Oculus, it's not my system, it's the fucking game. I can run everything else perfectly. This runs like dogshit, and it isn't even a looker, the space background is fucking shite.

edit: From reddit:

Just want to piggyback on this to report a little more detail on how it's working out in VR. It appears the game is forcing its own form of reprojection or something. Looking around in the headset tracks at a very clean 90hz, but everything in the game itself looks like it's running at half that refresh rate. This is with updated drivers, normal temperatures, SteamVR reprojection turned off, and plenty of GPU/CPU headroom. All of my framerate/frametime monitors indicate the game is outputting a very stable framerate. It's like the engine itself is updating animations and object positions at a lower rate.

This is what I'm getting. They'll patch it. I just hope some clever bastard mods it so that the space texture is replaced with one that, you know, resembles fucking space as seen in the Star Wars moves. 

2 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Eh? What's wrong with the space? Space is space :lol:

It's horribly low res. The stars are just white blobs, honestly the space background in this is something I'd expect to see in PSVR, but not the Rift S. 

3 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

The sky box certainly isn’t the greatest. I do wonder if PSVR was the target to get it to work on and that has held back the PC visuals. I mean it’s a great looking game in the context of what you’d expect from PSVR.

I'm half wishing I'd got that version - PSVR has better blacks than the Rift S so the black of space will be better. But I know with Supersampling on PC and it running "properly" the PC version will always be better. 

Surprised at the stick this is getting in here. I've just dropped out from it after doing the prologue and first story mission and I was loving every minute of it. It's pretty much a modern X-Wing/TIE Fighter, they even have modern versions of the old mission briefings! Gameplay follows that series too, scan enemies, dogfight, take out large ships bit by bit, there are missiles and countermeasures and power management. Even the scanner works the same. The story doesn't seem phoned in, in fact I'm impressed with the production values given the price. Clearly it's had a lot of love poured into it. 

I've got it on PC (via Origin) and playing on Quest via Oculus Link. I'm not having any perf issues but then this is on my works laptop (fancy ROG i7 with 2070 Super). I didn't do anything fancy to play it, just ran the Oculus App, told the Quest to connect to Link then toggled it into VR. On auto settings perf was fine, I nudged the detail up to high and it seems stable. 

The only thing I am fighting is the controls. I've gone for Southpaw as controlling pitch and yaw on the right stick just feels wrong. Then inverted flight controls. I think I'd preferred speed or roll on the triggers. You just end up rolling when you want to change speed. I'll get used to it, must have been tricky to jam all the controls on a joypad, though I like how they did the power management on the D-Pad!

I'm actually tempted to pick it up on PS4 as I've still not found a good way to make the Quest comfortable, even with a halo strap it wants to push your face in. 

The stars are a bit blobby though :)

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Fuck this game. Just tried the second story mission again aaaaaaanndd ... same juddery performance. I even tried it without the Oculus Tray Tool running (so no added supersampling). It made no difference. It's not Oculus, it's not my system, it's the fucking game. I can run everything else perfectly. This runs like dogshit, and it isn't even a looker, the space background is fucking shite.

So would you say you're enjoying it?

6 minutes ago, S0L said:

The only thing I am fighting is the controls. I've gone for Southpaw as controlling pitch and yaw on the right stick just feels wrong. Then inverted flight controls. I think I'd preferred speed or roll on the triggers. You just end up rolling when you want to change speed. I'll get used to it, must have been tricky to jam all the controls on a joypad, though I like how they did the power management on the D-Pad!

Have you played Elite Dangerous? That game's pad controls are exceptional, lightyears ahead of the shambles in this. At least you can actually customise them in this, but bloody hell the defaults are absolute nonsense. I can't comment on the quality of the game because I can't play without performance issues, I need to wait for a patch. 

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Have you played Elite Dangerous? That game's pad controls are exceptional, lightyears ahead of the shambles in this. At least you can actually customise them in this, but bloody hell the defaults are absolute nonsense. I can't comment on the quality of the game because I can't play without performance issues, I need to wait for a patch. 

Yeah, Elite is fine on a pad. I'd have taken the same controls here where appropriate.

I guess they've played so much Battlefront II that they're used to it. At least there are a ton of options so I'll find something that works. It's just a bit, I dunno, twitchy and brainwrong by default.

Shame you're having perf issues, maybe turn it off from auto settings in case it's doing something mad with frame limiting?

I'm assuming it's Oculus native if it's picking the app up. Saw they're suggesting to run it borderless windowed VS actual fullscreen. I left it at defaults as they looked sensible enough.

10 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Oh man, I hate to ask this but - I’m right at the start and it’s telling me to boost close to the underneath of a Star Destroyer but every time I do the commander “says wait your too...” and I explode. I’m in for a rough ride aren’t I...

I didn’t boost, think I just scooted up near the other Tie and it locked me in. Presumably a tractor beam... :sherlock:

20 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I tweaked the gamepad controls (extremely customisable on console, good work devs) to have pitch and roll on left stick and throttle and yaw on right. Feels a bit better. 

Yes interesting that the PC and Hotas implementation seems to be broken as the control options on PS4 seem really comprehensive. I've stuck with the defaults personally but seems like I could have picked almost anything that suited me.