Star Wars Squadrons - PC/PS4/XB1/VR!

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

I tweaked the gamepad controls (extremely customisable on console, good work devs) to have pitch and roll on left stick and throttle and yaw on right. Feels a bit better. 

I couldn’t quite work our what my issue was. Switching between Default, Aviator and Southpaw trying to settle, at times it all felt slick and at others it felt really messy but this... this has now got me absolutely on target. 

:hat:

I managed to get the right stick to purely roll, and assigned throttle to the Xbox elite controller’s paddles. It feels ideal now. I can roll without worrying about up/down inputs, and change throttle and roll at the same time. It feels much more responsive. I think this is the best it’ll get with a pad. 

I spent some time trying to understand targeting. You hold the left trigger and use the radial menu to select the target group, then press A to cycle between targets in that group. Works okay actually. I think the radial menu is different in single player and PVP. 

I also spent some time practising against a Star Destroyer as I didn’t quite understand what I was doing. You can only do damage when you are underneath their shields, which means flying pretty close to the hull, which is cool! I guess there are other weapons, probably ion ones, that damage or disable the shields themselves so you can hit the subsystems at a greater range. 

It's pretty, and pretty clunky. I've only just got to the X-wing intro arriving at the convoy but it took a few restarts... first the game didn't want to register some of my joystick (X-55 HOTAS) controls, then on a restart it did and I discovered it'd mapped yaw and roll to the wrong things, got them swapped and discovered the pitch was the inverse of how it should be, sorted that and a few other bits. Then there's a part where you have to 'mash any button' which did NOTHING and was very confusing, another restart sorted that... Fighting x-wings with my TIE there's about half of them just stopped motionless waiting to be squished, flying in the x-wing with my squad doing the little 'here's what the controls are' tour and one of them gets stuck on a transport ship as we fly past. Messy as hell. It's so very Star Wars though, I still want to forgive it everything as when you're flying about and stuff is working as it should, it's lovely.

Now to try VR (Quest) and see how much worse of a mess I can get it into. 

Borrowed my friends PSVR to play this (He's primarily an X-Box-player and got the VR as a gift).

It's just awesome on my PS4, the controls are extremely intuitive in my opinion, and the visuals are surprisingly good too. I want to live in the Y-Wing cockpit.:wub:

2 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

It was just to teach me to keep boosting - that hiccup aside this shit is dooooope!!!

Can anyone tell me where the cockpit indicator of boost availability is? I kept hitting the button and it wouldn’t do anything, so I assume i’d run out of boost? Or is it that TIEs can’t boost anyway, only x-wings? (although I had the same experience in the x-wing anyway).

Functions not responding when I pushed buttons added to my control woes tbh.

Without loading up the game since my last post and from looking at that Thrustmaster config screen on the last page, I’ve realized that DS4 has an extra function due to the touchpad (brings up your loadout). That function is more or less useless so that hopefully means the touchpad on the Hori flight stick can be mapped to the ‘ping’ function.

The game doesn't really sign post it, but when you first load into it, do the character creation, kick off the first mission and then escape to the main menu. In multiplayer there's a practice mode and you can use it to map your controls on the fly. The horses support is shit, especially in comparison to flight sim, but it only took me a few mins to get the core ones set up. 

44 minutes ago, milko said:

Now to try VR (Quest) and see how much worse of a mess I can get it into. 

haha, man, I still love the sense of depth and scale you get in these things. Just so much more engrossing, when it's less of a tradeoff for sharpness/resolution it will be incredible. I mean, it already is really. 

18 minutes ago, snowbind said:

The game doesn't really sign post it, but when you first load into it, do the character creation, kick off the first mission and then escape to the main menu. In multiplayer there's a practice mode and you can use it to map your controls on the fly. The horses support is shit, especially in comparison to flight sim, but it only took me a few mins to get the core ones set up. 

Thanks for the tip, I’ll give it a go but will have to wait as I only do VR stuff in antisocial hours.

P.S. Horses?

20 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Can anyone tell me where the cockpit indicator of boost availability is? I kept hitting the button and it wouldn’t do anything, so I assume i’d run out of boost? Or is it that TIEs can’t boost anyway, only x-wings? (although I had the same experience in the x-wing anyway).

I can't recall if it's on the TIE, it is X-Wing and A-Wing. You have to have power to engines (full)

A bar over the throttle charges ups - L3 (on PS4) boosts you and drains it.

Just re-played the Prologue in PSVR and it’s pretty bloody amazing.  Attacking the turbo lasers at the trading post whilst diving in and out of the trenches was about the most Star Wars thing I’ve ever done in a game.  The trenches don’t need to be there so I can only assume they’re for you to do pretend Death Star runs in :)

No more crashes back to the dashboard, and the default controls seem fine - just need a bit of getting used to I guess. 

33 minutes ago, Darwock said:

There is a yellow bar near the throttle. Once you dump power to engines you have to give it some time to charge up. 

This is, eh... fucking brilliant!!!

I don’t have a VR headset or fancy stick. But playing this with my fairly excellent headphones on full blast now that the controls have really clicked is just magical.

The turns and tricks you can pull off when you do a lot of manual throttle input while turning makes for some brilliant moments. I noticed on the controls there is a command for Drift but no idea what that is or maybe I have still to hit a tutorial for it?

1 minute ago, MardiganX said:

I noticed on the controls there is a command for Drift but no idea what that is or maybe I have still to hit a tutorial for it?

Go into a boost, then pull up and hold the boost button again or reduce throttle (I think this works as well) while turning and you’ll do a Poe Dameron-style handbrake turn. 

3 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

. I noticed on the controls there is a command for Drift but no idea what that is or maybe I have still to hit a tutorial for it?

You get a tutorial in mission 3

I think I’ve ended up with a different set up to other people, mostly cribbed from No Man’s Sky. Yaw and pitch on the left stick, roll on the bumpers. That moves repair and missiles to the two sticks, with boost at a flick with the right stick.

It works, but I think I’m going to have to move throttle to the triggers because in the heat of battle I keep bashing the left trigger to slow down. On an elite pad I’ll be fine, but I’ve not got that at the mo.

I think I probably expected to be better at it than I am, especially multiplayer. I’m getting alright at not dying, but I’m definitely not killing enough. I may at some point allege that there’s some cheating going on, mind. It seems a very odd coincidence that the ones who do best aren’t on the Xbox, as I am. On both teams. It might just be better controls, but it seems a bit odd. 

It’s a really good game though. If you liked X-Wing and don’t mind finding out that you’re rubbish, buy ASAP.

VR probably gives an edge. The difference in positional awareness is significant. How do you know which version everyone is on?

OK, I’m in messing with the control set-up right now.

The first confusing thing to me is targeting options - if I have one button available for targeting I have to choose either ‘select target ahead/targeting wheel’ or ‘cycle targets/target my attacker’. Can’t have both. But the targeting wheel should eliminate the need for the second one, shouldn’t it?

Next up, one of the following unbound functions can go on the touchpad button of the Hori stick:

-contextual interaction

-show loadout

-focus shields/convert power

-combo - cycle targets

-ping target

-free look

(there are also unbound ‘quick look’ directions that are probably irrelevant)

Within the ‘free look’ section, the R stick is used to look around. It’s not used anywhere else in the control map. The R stick is the little smooth analogue one above the fire buttons. If we’re playing in VR, the free look function is completely pointless, no? That means there are four inputs available right there.

So four inputs, plus the touchpad button - minus free look which is not required in VR, and everything should be mappable. I just need to find the most intuitive place to put everything.

I don’t currently know what ‘contextual interaction’ will be used for, and focus shields/convert power hasn’t come up either (I assume it opens a sub menu that has to be selected with the d-pad/L stick). Need to think on it some more, my kids are calling.

@Dirty Harry Potter Hori flight stick custom mappings.

Alright, this is what I am going to try. It would make more logical sense to put the cycle targets on the R stick because that’s where the other targeting functions are,  and I don’t like having shields up there because it’s probably quite important - BUT Ace Combat cycles targets on the triangle button and I wanted to preserve that instinct (also ‘target my attacker’ requires a double input which is easier to do with a button than a stick).

Left and right weapon buttons are the wrong way round (on the Hori stick, not the DS4 image below) because I wanted missiles on the circle button, but I guess the actual weapon loadout could be switched so the buttons can go in the right place.

R3 boost is the side button on the throttle, and L3 countermeasures is the side button on the stick (same as AC7). The lower front button on the stick unfortunately registers as an L1 press, so you can’t use it if you want to have yaw set up properly.

9BFFBE2A-04A7-4019-81EB-6B002A258ACD.jpeg

first things first the VR implementation in this is wowful - i can play about 80% of the time in vr at acceaptable level on this game then does a major wobble and becomes unplayble for no reason (last night was playing fine - died and restarted at a check point - the game them became a stuttering mess - for no reason as i had alreayd played the majority of the checkpoint previously fine!  I have reverted back to the previous Nvida drivers and seems to be a little bit of an improvement.  But still VR needs to be looked at asap in terms of perfomance and visual quality (apart from the cockpits which do look great)

BUT....

Feck me when this game does work its full on living the star wars dream!  being able to fly round star destroyers chasing ties never gets old :)   For me it has the feel of the old xwing game (with the system mangement etc) and the kinda arcadey story feel of the rouge squadron games  with a touch of wing commander thrown in for good measure (oh a modern vr wing commander would be great :) )   

Ive got the game on both pc (for VR) and on xbox - and while the xbox version is great - VR does bring a new dimesion to the game, the immersion, the feeling of actually being in control of an xwing/tie etc...  (though with VR you can get carried away as my wife reminded me due to the fact i kept yelling out  "hold on RD5" (the name i have given my astromech droid) while playing in the living room last night lol 

5 hours ago, Rev said:

It’s a really good game though. If you liked X-Wing and don’t mind finding out that you’re rubbish, buy ASAP.

This is exactly right. Buy if you want to feel like Skywalker in single player, but Porkins in multi. 

No issues with VR on the PS4.

Did some further messing with my control set up, this time I tried them out in practice mode. There are some issues with the select wheel options if you also use the R stick for certain functions - you can get accidental inputs after selecting something.

The least harmful solution to this is to put them all on toggle mode, select wheel options with the main (L) flight stick and confirm with the trigger button. You might get an extra bit of pitch or roll when you’re done but that’s no big deal in the grand scheme of things. I only chose this set-up for the communications wheel because I don’t expect to use be using in the heat of battle.

For target select I left it on R-up, with R stick to select because you can push up, rotate around to your desired option without letting go, and hit the fire button. It’s quick and easy. If you do a full circle you will close the window by the toggle but it seems to work intuitively despite that.

Shields is easier, because it’s not a full wheel but only an up/middle/down selection. So pushing R to the left to open it, on toggle setting, will keep it open until you are done. The only risk then is that if you select shields to the front you might subsequently open the target select wheel by mistake, but this didn’t really happen to me when testing.

Using the d-pad to select any of them is the worst choice because you will remap your power settings by mistake. I also knocked the ‘display loadout’ function on the head completely, it just got in the way.

Only thing I’m not sure about is potentially sending accidental pings by R-down, don’t think that will be a big issue though.

The biggest hurdle for me so far is teaching my brain not to push forward on the left stick to go forward, rather try and keep my ship in that sweet spot on the indicator. Technically it should free me up to focus on aiming and rolling but damn you stupid brain! I love that I’m checking my cockpit instruments in this, never played the original X-Wings but totally get the appeal now.

On the cockpit thing, has everyone switched to ‘instruments only’? I did it after the prologue and to be honest can’t imagine what else the full HUD mode could add. Everything you need is there.