Star Wars Squadrons - PC/PS4/XB1/VR!

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

Shields is easier, because it’s not a full wheel but only an up/middle/down selection. So pushing R to the left to open it, on toggle setting, will keep it open until you are done. The only risk then is that if you select shields to the front you might subsequently open the target select wheel by mistake, but this didn’t really happen to me when testing.

I recommend combo mode for shields. Single tap for rear shields, double tap for front, hold to balance. Much better than than UI thing. 

What’s the best way to dogfight in PVP in these games? Seems like targeting your attacker and trying to get him will always end up in a grim time. Was thinking it would be good to fly with a wingman and ping each other’s tails so that you don’t end up flying in circles round each other or just trying to boost away. 

I lurked in asteroid cover and went after any TIEs I saw chasing my teammates. I don’t know about stages with no asteroids, I only played one round.

Incidentally those asteroids were exactly the solution to the problem of most Ace Combat dogfights degenerating into infinite looping.

Had my second session with this, but I'm still struggling with technical and control issues:-

• The game feels strangely unresponsive, despite supposedly running at 130-140 on my 3080.  Something doesn't feel right.  It doesn't feel smooth despite nvidia overlay reporting said high frame rates.
  • The controls on the flight stick seem really strange; like there's a massive deadzone (despite deadzone settings in the game and driver set to zero).  So I'm having to wrestle the stick to make even small adjustments.  It's weird.
  • I keep losing mouse control in the menus.
  • Menus and videos seem very low resolution.  I've got a 1440p ultrawide monitor close to my face, so I can forgive some of that, but it's quite glaring here.

... I'm still struggling with control mappings (not knowing which button in the UI correlates to the actual button on the HOTAS) but that will come over time so that's on me.  Once I know what the game is asking of me (what functions it has) I'll do some better mapping, but it's been a bit of a battle.  But the technical issues have led to a bad first impression sadly :(

13 hours ago, deerokus said:

I'm terrible at the multiplayer. Jesus fuck. 

Maybe we should set some RLLMUK multiplayer games up I'll be rubbish at multiplayer too... Away at the moment so not able to play at all.... :(

This is delightful and everything I remember from x wing. I’m on base PS4 and graphics looks lush and all plays really nicely. 

I need to get throttle on triggers so rolling doesn’t cause me to speed up or slow down. I had a CH flight stick pro in the 90s and had roll on buttons on top of the stick. Very weird looking back. 

my only issue is there is so much going on it’s really hard to slot things. The 90s games were so much easier as it was just space with some space ships flying around. 

Done the prologue missions and can’t wait to carry on. It just oozes Star Wars. 

45 minutes ago, Bangaio said:

I need to get throttle on triggers so rolling doesn’t cause me to speed up or slow down.

That’s a good idea, I’ve got throttle and yaw on right stick and pitch and roll on left stick following suggestions up thread which is working ok.  I’ve only done the first imperial level and need the muscle memory, at the moment I’m all over the sodding place.

4 hours ago, Pob said:

On the cockpit thing, has everyone switched to ‘instruments only’? I did it after the prologue and to be honest can’t imagine what else the full HUD mode could add. Everything you need is there. 

Do missile/tracking locks still appear on the HUD?

8 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Do missile/tracking locks still appear on the HUD?

Yes. Not sure about lock-on, there is probably a flashing light in the cockpit for it. The actual missile indicator (red triangles) still appear either side of the crosshair. 

1 hour ago, Pob said:

Yes. Not sure about lock-on, there is probably a flashing light in the cockpit for it. The actual missile indicator (red triangles) still appear either side of the crosshair. 

Yeah, the white target box remains on the HUD when set to instruments only and a bigger box appears outside of that, gets smaller and then turns green to signal missile lock.

2 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

Yeah, the white target box remains on the HUD when set to instruments only and a bigger box appears outside of that, gets smaller and then turns green to signal missile lock.

Ah yes. I thought @Darwockmeant an enemy lock 

13 minutes ago, simms said:

Id thought I try the game with my Vive and Thrustmaster.  I cant even launch from the hanger bay as it says press and hold 11 but I cannot find the button for the life of me.  Help? Lol

Heh. I've got the Thrust master T-Flight HOTAS One, where 11 is the Menu button. It'll be whatever the button on the bottom right of the base is on yours, in front of the stick. 

Edit: I've just realised that those buttons don't seem to exist on the HOTAS X if you've got that one, in which case this won't be very helpful.

I started dogfighting in PSVR at 10pm, next thing I know it’s 1:20am. Good game. My results were wildly inconsistent though, probably due to quality of opponent rather than my own skill/lack of it. I did some minor part customization, leaning towards firepower over shields or speed, as I know I’m going to get shot down anyway so might as well make my hits count.

The custom control scheme seems to work just fine, although I forgot about lots of it when things got underway. I suppose the targeting wheel is mostly for story mode.

I’ll need to jump in to the fleet battle AI mode soon, so far it's been all just x-wing and TIE for me.

Patch been dropped on steam note mentions : "While we are investigating the reports received on various issues for #StarWarsSquadrons, we are deploying a small PC patch to improve overall stability in the game when launching in VR.”  

Not sure if this means the issue peeps had launching the game unless in windowed mode - or it means general performance issues when starting in vr 

40 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Heh. I've got the Thrust master T-Flight HOTAS One, where 11 is the Menu button. It'll be whatever the button on the bottom right of the base is on yours, in front of the stick. 

Edit: I've just realised that those buttons don't seem to exist on the HOTAS X if you've got that one, in which case this won't be very helpful.

Thanks it was the left button on the base.  Ive found some info that may help others:

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/pictures/Mappings/Mapping_TflightHOTASX_SWSquadrons.png

image.thumb.png.09410a6de52d8bc7a8f6cc38e03c0e6c.png

and

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/squadrons/tips-and-tricks/hotas-joystick-controls-in-star-wars-squadrons?isLocalized=true

My brief stint with the game I'm finding it challenging to turn without rolling all the time on the above stick not sure if that was the same as earlier complaints.  I may try the above mapping as suggested by Thrustmaster, not sure if its much different to the default.

As my works PC sounds like a F14 during play with the fans going full blast, I went and picked up the PS4 version to play on PSVR. Plus people don't creep up on me upstairs unlike last night when I was interrupted from dogfighting with cold hands on the back of my neck...

I'm surprised how close it is! The detail is lower but it's nice and nippy and perfectly playable. I'll likely play more on PS4 as the headset is way more comfy than the Quest, plus I'm finding the PS4 pad not quite as twitchy as the (third party) Xbox pad I have plugged into my PC.

Actually really impressed with how close they got. Note this is on a Pro, but a friend is running on stock and it doesn't sound hugely different. Nice job Motive Devs.

There do seem to be a few bugs. In the Fleet Battle tutorial I blew up the power generator of the Star Destroyer but it didn't register it happening. Otherwise though, I love it, you can tell it was made by fans of the X-Wing/Tie Fighter series.

3 hours ago, papalazarou said:

Patch been dropped on steam note mentions : "While we are investigating the reports received on various issues for #StarWarsSquadrons, we are deploying a small PC patch to improve overall stability in the game when launching in VR.”  

Not sure if this means the issue peeps had launching the game unless in windowed mode - or it means general performance issues when starting in vr 

Update is on Origin as well - not a lick of difference. The problem is Oculus is running at 80fps, while the game is running everything outside the cockpit at 60fps or perhaps even fucking 30fps - it's fucking awful. Slow movement is mostly okay but make a quick turn or have something whiz past your view and it's a juddery mess.  They'll fix it ... eventually. 

22 minutes ago, Thor said:

Update is on Origin as well - not a lick of difference. The problem is Oculus is running at 80fps, while the game is running everything outside the cockpit at 60fps or perhaps even fucking 30fps - it's fucking awful. Slow movement is mostly okay but make a quick turn or have something whiz past your view and it's a juddery mess.  They'll fix it ... eventually. 

Are you using Oculus Tray Tool with the game?  I've just tried it without and it seemed to be so much better.  I'm not sure if I've gone in with lower expectations, but everything seemed fine with medium graphics and resolution scale set to 100.