Star Wars Squadrons - PC/PS4/XB1/VR!

1 hour ago, Benny said:

There do seem to be a few bugs. In the Fleet Battle tutorial I blew up the power generator of the Star Destroyer but it didn't register it happening. Otherwise though, I love it, you can tell it was made by fans of the X-Wing/Tie Fighter series.

Think I have the same or a very similar bug. I have the SD down to 1 unit of health and have destroyed all its subsystems but it refuses to die.

11 hours ago, S0L said:

As my works PC sounds like a F14 during play with the fans going full blast, I went and picked up the PS4 version to play on PSVR. Plus people don't creep up on me upstairs unlike last night when I was interrupted from dogfighting with cold hands on the back of my neck...

I'm surprised how close it is! The detail is lower but it's nice and nippy and perfectly playable. I'll likely play more on PS4 as the headset is way more comfy than the Quest, plus I'm finding the PS4 pad not quite as twitchy as the (third party) Xbox pad I have plugged into my PC.

Actually really impressed with how close they got. Note this is on a Pro, but a friend is running on stock and it doesn't sound hugely different. Nice job Motive Devs.

I debated between the PCVR and PSVR version for a few days before launch. I ended up going with the PS4 version as I was sure my kids + friends would want a go as soon as they saw it.

It’s been a year or so  since I booted up the PSVR , but have to say how impressed I am with it after exclusively using the Quest. The displays are great, tracking is good, and its more comfortable to wear.

The game also looks great in it. Would be interested to compare to the PC version, but certainly on my PC I don’t think there would be much in it atall. And for ease of use it wins hands down.

1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

Are you using Oculus Tray Tool with the game?  I've just tried it without and it seemed to be so much better.  I'm not sure if I've gone in with lower expectations, but everything seemed fine with medium graphics and resolution scale set to 100.

I could give that a try, but I genuinely don't think that's the issue.

2 hours ago, Gwangi said:

About to play this online for the first time with my old wingman from Uni.  We havent played co-op since 1999.

This was perfect. Loved it.  Going to play lots of this.  Cross play pc to Xbox worked perfectly.

They need to make the single player co-op now.

1 hour ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

The game also looks great in it. Would be interested to compare to the PC version, but certainly on my PC I don’t think there would be much in it atall. And certainly for ease of use it wins hands down.

Agree, I've not used the PSVR much since I've had the Quest, but it's much easier to set up and far more comfortable to wear.

The Quest and PC have the better models and lighting, but the PS4 version is certainly no poor alternative. 

If anything I enjoyed it more as I set the controls how I wanted from the off and knew what was coming. Plus started to experiment a bit, I was supposed to be going to hyperspace but I wanted to see if I could take out one of those Imp Cruisers by myself... (I almost did!).

They’ve pulled a blinder with getting everyone on all versions playing together, as evidenced by loads of open mics all speaking different languages. I didn’t notice at first but I guess my PSVR mic was open as well, so everyone was being treated to me clearing my throat and such.

I haven’t seen any kind of lobby or hosting menu, so I guess you can’t filter by language. That's wonderful for ensuring you can always get a game but doesn’t it make voice chat kind of pointless?

2 hours ago, MardiganX said:

Think I have the same or a very similar bug. I have the SD down to 1 unit of health and have destroyed all its subsystems but it refuses to die.

Unfortunately a known bug apparently. If you die during the mission it prevents the SD being killable.

36 minutes ago, Darwock said:

They’ve pulled a blinder with getting everyone on all versions playing together, as evidenced by loads of open mics all speaking different languages. I didn’t notice at first but I guess my PSVR mic was open as well, so everyone was being treated to me clearing my throat and such.

I haven’t seen any kind of lobby or hosting menu, so I guess you can’t filter by language. That's wonderful for ensuring you can always get a game but doesn’t it make voice chat kind of pointless?

Can’t you speak Bocce?

If you turn crossplay off, at least on Xbox One, it takes ages, a good few minutes, to find a game. I don’t think there’s much hope of further filtering beyond that unless it sells much better than expected.

I’ve moved from X-Wing to the A-Wing, with a few upgrades, and I’m doing better. The playing field does feel more level with crossplay off, even though one person was amazing, but I don’t think I can be bothered to wait that long each time. It’s really fun though, even when losing. It’s a shame PC folk aren’t getting the best experience yet. 

I had a look through cosmetics too, moved to Red Squadron paint, but they’re very limited. I really hope they’ve got more lined up to keep people interested. It is nice that everything is free, and I’m glad that the ship upgrades aren’t possible to pay for, but I just don’t see why they’re not selling cosmetics. I know that Battlefront controversy isn’t exactly a distant memory, but this is a niche title and even more than if it was made by a nice indie studio it needs to be profitable or support will be dropped instantly. Let me pay 79p to be an Ithorian so there’s a full Season 2 (or whatever). 

8 hours ago, Darwock said:

Are we talking about the prologue one? I died dozens of times in that (always when flying back around for another pass at it) but was able to clear it in the end. I guess not, as that was only one component.

The Fleet Battle multiplayer mode tutorial

Played a bit more this morning and changed the default Thrustmaster controls to the suggested ones by Thrustmaster and had a much much better time with the game.  Only problem I find it hard to line up laser shots so probably have to play around with the sensitivity and dead zones.  I'm playing on a Vive original headset with wireless adapter and have not seem any performance issues yet but I'm very early in the story game (just finished the prologue).  I've just finished playing about dogfighting in practice mode to get familiar with the controls and am starting to enjoy it.  Look forward to getting further into the story and trying multiplayer.

PC version has some terrible graphics settings bugs. Any frame rate above 60fps causes 30hz animations and sluggish controls. If you enable v-sync to lock at 60hz it goes away and is super smooth, but every 2nd mission it seems to "forget" v-sync and the issue appears again. Only restarting the game fixed it.

11 minutes ago, Benny said:

PC version has some terrible graphics settings bugs. Any frame rate above 60fps causes 30hz animations and sluggish controls. If you enable v-sync to lock at 60hz it goes away and is super smooth, but every 2nd mission it seems to "forget" v-sync and the issue appears again. Only restarting the game fixed it.

3 minutes ago, Benny said:

Quick fix for Nvidia cards: add the game in control panel and force v-sync on and set max frame rate to 60.

This might explain why it feels sluggish for me despite the overlay reporting 130fps.  Do I need to set my monitor to 60hz or just set max frame rate to 60?

If people were wondering why it's performing badly despite seeming to be getting triple digit frame rates, that's the reason. So it's not surprising it's a trash fire on VR: you'll find it works perfectly the first mission you load after starting, but breaks the mission or MP mode picked after that.

Also, forcing the frame rate in Nvidia cpanel inexplicably makes load times slower.

4 minutes ago, davejm said:

This might explain why it feels sluggish for me despite the overlay reporting 130fps.  Do I need to set my monitor to 60hz or just set max frame rate to 60?

I'm using Borderless window mode which sidesteps Hz needing to be selected. If you use full screen people are reporting you need to select 59.94hz to avoid 30hz animations, but I think the actual problem is the v-sync issue combined with some weird issues as the game loads new maps

Played an hour there (quest via Wi-Fi streaming) and it was very stable (didn’t see any new patches released)

but to add to the experience play on a recliner as I just found out esp playing I. An  a-wing  as your feet are in The same position in game.  Really enjoying the story mode 

I played some games with @U-1 cross-platform last night (Xbox and PS4) and it worked flawlessly. Voice chat was the same quality as party chat. It was my first time trying cross-platform with voice and I was surprised how seamless it was.

We had a few rounds of PVP dogfight but then switched to Fleet Battle co-op vs AI and it was so much better. So my tip if you want to play with friends and actually feel like a pilot, play Fleet Battles co-op! We had it on easy but still lost both rounds! It was close though. 

Actually, try setting max FPS to 61. If you pick 60 you'll notice stuttering in the star field as you pitch. Even set at 61 it will stutter, which you can see by pitching through the star field on first load, no stuttering, second load of the same mission: micro stutter.

24 minutes ago, davejm said:

Borderless causes stuttering it turns out. So set it to full screen and 60hz.

With v-sync on in Nvidia cpanel and 61 max fps

34 minutes ago, Pob said:

I played some games with @U-1 cross-platform last night (Xbox and PS4) and it worked flawlessly. Voice chat was the same quality as party chat. It was my first time trying cross-platform with voice and I was surprised how seamless it was.

We had a few rounds of PVP dogfight but then switched to Fleet Battle co-op vs AI and it was so much better. So my tip if you want to play with friends and actually feel like a pilot, play Fleet Battles co-op! We had it on easy but still lost both rounds! It was close though. 

I just went through the fleet battle tutorial tonight and want to do this! Who’s playing on PS4 to party up? My PSN is Darwock.

Trouble is I’m in Japan so evening play for me is morning/afternoon for most of you I guess.

edit - also, how on earth did you find each other in game on different platforms?

3 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I just went through the fleet battle tutorial tonight and want to do this! Who’s playing on PS4 to party up? My PSN is Darwock.

Trouble is I’m in Japan so evening play for me is morning/afternoon for most of you I guess.

edit - also, how on earth did you find each other in game on different platforms?

Is it not all done through Origin friend IDs?

Thanks @Benny.  I'm going to wait for a patch, I think.  The other major issue I have is the feel of pitch and yaw, and I've just been reading this is another issue others are having.  It seems that there's a dead zone even when turned to zero in the settings.  There are hoops you can jump through to sort it (using third party control mappings apps) but I can't be arsed at the moment.

I'll revisit the game when they've sorted some of these problems out.

Had a blast with this yesterday! Though I was a little dismayed after dusting off my T-flight stick to see it's actually a PS3 stick and surprise, surprise isn't supported. Fucking greedy bastards!