Star Wars Squadrons - PC/PS4/XB1/VR!

ravnaz

13 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Anyone got insight into how real aircraft throttles work? I doubt it’s like this somehow. Is this just a flaw in the HORI stick? How does the Thrustmaster throttle behave?

In real fast jets, fully back is idle RPM, which is min thrust (but not zero). That will generally slow you down due to drag but it’s not a brake. Fully forward is max RPM. Thrust is dependent on many factors but primarily altitude. Aircraft with Reheat (Afterburners) will generally have a detent or gate through which the throttle has to be moved to get the extra thrust. Aircraft with 2 engines will usually have 2 throttles that can be moved independently or together. More modern aircraft will have some auto-throttle modes (like cruise control). 

Maximum turn rate nearly always requires maximum power, with some exceptions at high speed/G depending on the aircraft. Turn circle theory for Basic Fighter Manoeuvres is a whole other subject but I don’t think it transfers particularly well to Star Wars. 

I’ve tried all kinds of bonkers shit to resolve the throttle input issue, like putting throttle on the yaw triggers at the front (works but muscle memory runs deep), yaw on the stick, pitch on the throttle lever (lol). I came to the conclusion that it’s simpler to just learn to deal with it. Putting high sensitivity with a large dead zone is not so bad, it becomes a bit like a gear shifter - I will just have to condition myself to return the lever to neutral after each burst of acceleration/deceleration.

It seems like people using standard controllers also have to adapt to certain things, so fair enough I guess.

Or I could pay the... (checks Amazon)... 18,000 yen for the Thrustmaster, which I’d rather not do, being at the end of the PS4 gen and all it will probably end up obsolete ><

Still, if someone could confirm the Thrustmaster throttle works correctly on PS4 I’d appreciate it.

47 minutes ago, Benny said:

I've been playing the single player this evening and it really does feel like a modern reimagining of the X-Wing series.

I love it.

Haven't even tried multiplayer yet.

Dammit, I need a console !

6 hours ago, Darwock said:

I’ve tried all kinds of bonkers shit to resolve the throttle input issue, like putting throttle on the yaw triggers at the front (works but muscle memory runs deep), yaw on the stick, pitch on the throttle lever (lol). I came to the conclusion that it’s simpler to just learn to deal with it. Putting high sensitivity with a large dead zone is not so bad, it becomes a bit like a gear shifter - I will just have to condition myself to return the lever to neutral after each burst of acceleration/deceleration.

It seems like people using standard controllers also have to adapt to certain things, so fair enough I guess.

Or I could pay the... (checks Amazon)... 18,000 yen for the Thrustmaster, which I’d rather not do, being at the end of the PS4 gen and all it will probably end up obsolete ><

Still, if someone could confirm the Thrustmaster throttle works correctly on PS4 I’d appreciate it.

Isn’t the logic behind having back on the throttle as a “brake” because it’s a spaceship and there’s no drag and you need reverse thrusters to slow down? Having all back as 0% (forward) thrusters means you just hurtle along at the same speed and don’t slow down at all. 

Airplanes have no reverse thrusters and drag will slow you down so you don’t need back to be a brake. 

8 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

Anyone got insight into how real aircraft throttles work? I doubt it’s like this somehow. Is this just a flaw in the HORI stick? How does the Thrustmaster throttle behave?

As Gigawat says, most jets back is slow, forward is fast.  IN jets they are called thrust levers not throttles.  In Airbus aircraft the first 50% or so is manual thrust, then it has detents (clicks) for automated settings. where it is left almost all flight and it just stays there.  Boeing aircraft have a moving autothrust so when it is engaged the levers are always moving (not a lot in cruise).  

Where you set the lever is how much thrust you get - there is no nudging it or anything like that.  Light aircraft it is more of shaft that comes out of the front panel that you push in - forward - to apply power.  

9 hours ago, Darwock said:

How does the Thrustmaster throttle behave?

In this game, the Thrustmaster just ranges from full stop to 100%, with no breaking action. The mid-point on the throttle is the mid-point of thrust in the game.

I do use it like yours in Elite though, as ships in that game can absolutely thrust backwards.

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Isn’t the logic behind having back on the throttle as a “brake” because it’s a spaceship and there’s no drag and you need reverse thrusters to slow down? Having all back as 0% (forward) thrusters means you just hurtle along at the same speed and don’t slow down at all. 

Airplanes have no reverse thrusters and drag will slow you down so you don’t need back to be a brake. 

I don’t think there’s any logic to it at all, it just isn’t supported at a software level, but maybe your explanation makes enough sense to stop it bugging me at least.

It is a bit of a pain in the ass during combat, I’m often having to make adjustments when I thought I was at the correct speed already - maybe I’ll get better (learn to pick out the audio cue you get when you hit the sweet spot).

19 hours ago, Thor said:

Yeah I'm in VR. I haven't tried it in pancake mode but am condifent I can run that at 60fps without much trouble. I bought this for VR, and will play it in VR ... when they fix it. 

Same here. I can run it with maximum bells and whistles at 60fps / 1440p in pancake mode but it's a juddery mess at the lowest settings in VR. 

Is that the video where he talks about 50% hardwired deadzone? I saw a bit of that, he’s talking absolute bollocks. I don’t know what was wrong with his setup but it doesn’t respond like that, and even if it did you can adjust deadzone in the menu (I set mine at 10% to help with the over correction bungee inputs I always do).

It’s true that the game wasn’t really designed for it, but it’s not the way he portrays it.

I played a bunch of games this afternoon, mostly losses again, trying to acclimatise to the latest control adjustments - I wish the game didn’t track KDR and other stats, they’re shameful and don’t really reflect the nature of my constant heroic self sacrifice against numerous Star Destroyers (nor do any favours for those players who like to play in support roles).

Then I played one co-op Fleet battle vs AI in the evening which went very well - all our capital ships were intact and I landed the killing blow (snagged in a tractor beam but still able to strafe the hull until it went pop) so picked up a couple of trophies. I think it’s wise to quit when you are ahead with this game. 

Anyone out there like to play as U-wing/reaper? My preferred role is turning out to be the bombers, but I can’t take the heat up front for long.

19 hours ago, Darwock said:

How does the Thrustmaster throttle behave?

Not sure if I'm late to the party to help you with this but the Thrustmaster is simply 0% back, 50% mid-point stop (most nimble), 100% forwards. I haven't really over thought it but it performs exactly how I would expect it to. Go fast, pull back to middle to turn, pull right back for slow manoeuvres like scanning things.

I have to say the T-Flight for me has been flawless for me. Worked first time, not changed any buttons/controls. Basically just pickup and play.

3 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Not sure if I'm late to the party to help you with this but the Thrustmaster is simply 0% back, 50% mid-point stop (most nimble), 100% forwards. I haven't really over thought it but it performs exactly how I would expect it to. Go fast, pull back to middle to turn, pull right back for slow manoeuvres like scanning things.

I have to say the T-Flight for me has been flawless for me. Worked first time, not changed any buttons/controls. Basically just pickup and play.

Thanks, I’m this close to dropping the cash on the over-inflated-price-imported-to-Japan version - pickup and play is exactly what I need, having to check my inputs with the Hori all the time is giving me excuses for my poor in game performance.

One thing looks odd to me, yaw by rotating the stick? I appreciate that can be moved over to the front throttle buttons as I currently have it, but then some other function would have to go on the stick rotation - is it easy to make that input by accident when you are making big movements?

4 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

You at least invert the Y axis, right?

RIGHT?!?!?

Started playing this on PC and it's rather ace. Managing to hit ultra 200% super sapling at 1440P and it's still running at 60fps which is pretty good going.

Looking forward to getting stuck in tomorrow after I finish my Magic draft.

I have a couple of game system questions, getting away from controls for a bit:

Why is it that the Y-wing can boost even if it’s not currently routing power to engines? I haven’t noticed any of the other ships being able to do this, and the Y-wing is supposed to be the heavy slow one - maybe a bug?

What exactly does the power conversion option on imperial ships do (the replacement function for moving shields from front to back etc)? It seems to be separate from power diversion, so you can divert power from engines to weapons, but then you can additionally convert power between engines and weapons also. If you divert power to engines and convert power to weapons are you effectively balancing yourself out again?

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

One thing looks odd to me, yaw by rotating the stick? I appreciate that can be moved over to the front throttle buttons as I currently have it, but then some other function would have to go on the stick rotation - is it easy to make that input by accident when you are making big movements?

The default on mine had yaw on the X-axis and roll on the rotation (although this is something I was considering experimenting with at some point). I’ve never hit the rotational control by accident.

I have no experience with the Hori so can’t make a valid comparison but I like the T-Flight so far.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

You at least invert the Y axis, right?

RIGHT?!?!?

Nope, I haven’t touched the controls so far but it was as I would expect when I turned it on. Pull back, go up?!

4 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Nope, I haven’t touched the controls so far but it was as I would expect when I turned it on. Pull back, go up?!

Oooh, is that the default on PS4? On PC it's the opposite and you have to change it! :facepalm:

7 hours ago, Darwock said:

What exactly does the power conversion option on imperial ships do (the replacement function for moving shields from front to back etc)? It seems to be separate from power diversion, so you can divert power from engines to weapons, but then you can additionally convert power between engines and weapons also. If you divert power to engines and convert power to weapons are you effectively balancing yourself out again?

It instantly converts accumulated power from one system to another. I found it a game-changer in multi for the Imperials. I keep lasers at max at all times, then if I get in trouble I can instantly fill the boost meter with a single button press and escape to safety. It makes power-management on the TIEs really simple - I rarely worry about rebalancing the actual power levels. 

30 minutes ago, Pob said:

It instantly converts accumulated power from one system to another. I found it a game-changer in multi for the Imperials. I keep lasers at max at all times, then if I get in trouble I can instantly fill the boost meter with a single button press and escape to safety. It makes power-management on the TIEs really simple - I rarely worry about rebalancing the actual power levels. 

I see, I think... but where does it show you how much accumulated power you have in your lasers? Is this the overcharge thing I read about on the loading screens? And if you do the reverse, it means your boost will be depleted but your weapons will get more powerful?

I have the Slam engine on my TIE bomber, so it’s always charging up boost but I rarely use it. If I could use that unspent boost to supercharge my lasers that would make it quite formidable...

14 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I see, I think... but where does it show you how much accumulated power you have in your lasers? Is this the overcharge thing I read about on the loading screens? And if you do the reverse, it means your boost will be depleted but your weapons will get more powerful?

I have the Slam engine on my TIE bomber, so it’s always charging up boost but I rarely use it. If I could use that unspent boost to supercharge my lasers that would make it quite formidable...

Yes. Overcharged lasers are represented by brighter red dots on the laser charge indicator. 

Sweet, but then again - if I’m always in weapon mode then it will always be maxed out anyway, so I guess converting boost won’t add any more power. It does mean I could switch out the Slam engine for some other beneficial doohickey.

I found that the shields really quickly attain their overcharge status (indicated subtly by a white colouring over the top of the standard green shield indicator) and the overcharge decays pretty slowly, so there’s no excuse not to charge those shields before heading into battle.

It seems like, for New Republic, you should:

Charge shields first

Switch all power to lasers to charge those bad boys before you get in range of enemies. 

Switch to engines when you’re in trouble, then weave about a bit and boost back to the safety of your capital ship once you’ve charged enough boost.

Rinse and repeat. 

For Imperials I just leave the lasers set to max then convert that charge to engine boost if I need to duck out to safety.