Star Wars Squadrons - PC/PS4/XB1/VR!

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Oooh, is that the default on PS4? On PC it's the opposite and you have to change it! :facepalm:

Yep, the PS4 defaults are exactly how you would expect it to be for everything (except perhaps for the yaw/roll - but the default mirrors the old games).

Seems strange, this one just seems to work whereas all the other HOTAS solution seem to involve some level faff annoyingly. :doh:

I have ordered one, but it’s being imported from the states so I probably won’t get it for a while. I wonder if I should hit pause on the game and wait until I can get into it with the proper tools at my disposal. I’m a bit scared of missing the boom period when everyone is playing - once the new consoles hit I guess server populations will drop off significantly.

Anyway, the Hori stick will be worth hanging onto purely for No Man’s Sky I guess. It’s ID as a DS4 works out perfectly for that game. Life doesn’t get much better than VR spaceships.

been taking my time with the story mode on this - really loving it (esp in vr) - just did misson 6 signal to noise and had a real star wars moment 

Spoiler

the final section where you have fly into the listening station and take out its core and then try and escape the exploding aftermath.  as soon as i belew it i headed for the exit shaft but could see the vent closing in front of me - flames all round i boosted my y-wing as fast as it could go - i think i could hear the underbell scrape though as i just managed to get through the vent before it closed - as i did so i yelled out "YES!!"  - and i was back to feeling like my 6 year old self :)

So I tried this in 2D this morning with my Thrustmaster HOTAS and wasn’t really feeling it. It was ok I guess, but I was thinking about a refund.

Just finished trying it with the Rift S and, holy crap, it’s transformed the game. It’s an amazing experience! 
I don’t know what Mac in the Worth a Buy video is on about, HOTAS is great (with my stick anyway) and VR is incredible. 

Spent some more time with this on PS4 tonight. Controls starting to click especially yaw and roll at the same time. I'll be shooting womp rats in Beggars Canyon yet at this rate.

I hope there are some bonus missions with Trench runs and the like. Or just sell it me as DLC, they've done a good job, I'll cough up.

Not sure I like the TIE support ship, first one I've struggled to find the cockpit elements on. But then I guess it's the first 'new' ship I've flown so far. When I was a boy this was all 2D art and flat shaded polygons :)

Sitting in my X-Wing cockpit, turn to the left and see the paint flaking off parts of the control panel. Look directly behind and you can see the R2 droid in the back.

Lovely little details.

Regarding the DIgital Foundry video, what John says about VR transforming the game, the depth of field making it easier to manoeuvre around tunnels etc. It really is incredible. It’s got me really excited for MS Flight Sim’s future VR patch.

I’m still playing through campaign sometimes I feel like I’m being fired upon from every direction is it best to just try and  focus on the nearest enemy?  I’m mostly getting success with downing ships with missiles and maybe getting a shot or two with lasers.  

2 minutes ago, simms said:

I’m still playing through campaign sometimes I feel like I’m being fired upon from every direction is it best to just try and  focus on the nearest enemy?  I’m mostly getting success with downing ships with missiles and maybe getting a shot or two with lasers.  

No, I think if you're focusing on the nearest ship or your attacker you'll just be flying in circles and trying to track enemies whizzing past your viewport. I'd suggest focusing on enemies 500-1200m away - there are far enough away that you'll be able to get a bead on them before you zoom past them. Your lasers have a range of 1000m.

Spotted this on the StarWarsSquadrons subreddit ...

Hope the patch notes confirm a solution to most of the big issues.  I've been holding off playing this at all until the main issues are fixed.

Lololololol. Managed to get this playable ... by telling Oculus Tray tool to reproject (ASW) at 30hz. Then it was smooth with a little bit of that weird ASW warping effect here and there. That means whenever I'm playing in VR, everything outside the cockpit is animated at 30fps! However, by the end of the mission the sound was out of sync, made cut scenes un watchable.  Here's hoping whatever patch they have planned tomorrow actually fucking fixes this. 

Still loving this.  Played about 20 hrs now.  However the multiplayer really needs everyone on voice chat and all to know the strategy required to win.  Been smashed by some really well coordinated teams - its amazing to see them take things apart.

17 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Bugger. Applied for a Steam refund. Denied, played it for too long. Fingers crossed for a patch..

Thing is, it should be an easy fix. A similar thing happens in Skyrim VR - the animated physics default to 60fps, but the Rift S is 80hz (and therefore 80fps). This is most noticeable when you bump a sign outside a tavern and watch it swing back and forth - it stutters, like it's a stop-motion animation.

In Skyrim it's a simple ini file tweak ... kinda. Nothing is ever simple with PC gaming. :lol: Instead of just changing a setting from 60 to 80, you have to change 1/60 to 1/80. Of course fractions don't really work in ini files, so the setting to change is actually the decimal equivalent of 1/60 = 0.0167. I had to change that to 0.0125 and everything was buttery smooth. 

I played the one VR mission in SW Battlefront, and had to take a break after 9 minutes, it was brilliant but I obviously haven't adjusted to VR yet - is it worth me getting this now, or should I wait until I have better VR 'legs'? 

Spent another couple of hours on this, quite a lot of it just messing about in practice mode tinkering with some controls. I’m currently trying roll on the x-axis and yaw on the rotation (swapped from default). I’ve also put the roll sensitivity up to 75% and pitch to 65% (to help those snap roll and hard bank manoeuvres) and I was surprised how much it immediately feels punchier.

I still need to get used to it as sometimes I get them confused in the heat of a battle and lose a target or crash into something, but it feels like it could be a more aggressive setup for dogfighting so I’m going to stick with it for a while and see how it goes. I could definitely see me just banging them all up to 100% quite soon as the immediacy of the movement feels great, but I need to see how tough it makes fine aim control for dialling in targets.

I’m just having so much fun with this game. Bravo Motive.

11 hours ago, AlexM said:

I played the one VR mission in SW Battlefront, and had to take a break after 9 minutes, it was brilliant but I obviously haven't adjusted to VR yet - is it worth me getting this now, or should I wait until I have better VR 'legs'? 

You should give it a try. The improvements in helping to avoid the vr sickness has improved quite a lot over the years. 

It will be so worth it.

13 hours ago, Thor said:

Thing is, it should be an easy fix. A similar thing happens in Skyrim VR - the animated physics default to 60fps, but the Rift S is 80hz (and therefore 80fps). This is most noticeable when you bump a sign outside a tavern and watch it swing back and forth - it stutters, like it's a stop-motion animation.

In Skyrim it's a simple ini file tweak ... kinda. Nothing is ever simple with PC gaming. :lol: Instead of just changing a setting from 60 to 80, you have to change 1/60 to 1/80. Of course fractions don't really work in ini files, so the setting to change is actually the decimal equivalent of 1/60 = 0.0167. I had to change that to 0.0125 and everything was buttery smooth. 

Ah yes. The reason I bailed on PC gaming about 15 years ago and switched to simpler consoles. Then consoles got more complicated and PCs (ever so slightly) less so, so I came back for VR and ACC.

This looks great in a 2D kinda way in 1440p, but I just can't play it like that. Need me some VR!

I see mentions of a couple of patches being issued, but steam refuses to tell me what version I'm running, and the dll's have 1.0.0.0 as version numbers.

Fingers crossed they fix it, or I might just go back to PSVR for this.

13 hours ago, dave7g said:

10 hours trial on EA Play now. Played the first mission on XBOX then frantically set up my PSVR again. I know it's going to be amazing, even with one working eye.

Just think of yourself as a grizzled old X wing pilot who lost an eye in a dogfight but lived to tell the tale, and you're the one all the rookies revere and look up to. It would help if you had a patch and chewed on cigars. 

It seems a shame that this game is so limited as it would be the most amazing thing if it had some longevity, either in a constant trickle of free updates or as paid dlc. All the reviews have said it's good but slight and I think I saw the Devs say it's done, with nothing else to come? Feels like we need to wait for the inevitable squadrons 2 to get the full package. 

Just now, Doctor Shark said:

It seems a shame that this game is so limited as it would be the most amazing thing if it had some longevity, either in a constant trickle of free updates or as paid dlc. All the reviews have said it's good but slight and I think I saw the Devs say it's done, with nothing else to come? Feels like we need to wait for the inevitable squadrons 2 to get the full package. 

I'd be fascinated to hear the full story on how it got agreed and funded. It feels like a passion project that some kind business manager at EA signed off on, as long as the scope and budget was limited. There was clearly no huge, expensive cart-before-the-horse marketing and content plan a la Anthem so I guess they just wanted to release something limited to test the water. If it sells well that I've no doubt they will expand on it or develop a sequel. It is odd that the devs categorically stated that there will be no DLC or expansion.

One of the early videos with an interview with Ian Frazier said that Motive basically shipped something (I think for Battlefront) and had some downtime before the next project was starting so they built a prototype "new X-Wing" because it was something they wanted to make. That was then pitched as a proof of concept to the suits and they gave the green light (but presumably with tight time and budget constraints). I'll try and dig out the video and repost it. 

EDIT: Found it, see below (around 1:25 in) - They built a prototype in a week and started getting internal people playing it.

My assumption is EA were convinced enough to say "okay, go on then" but with zero ongoing commitment and moving the team onto their next projects swiftly - hence the point blank "nothing else in planned" stance for now. However the key thing there is "planned", if Fallen Order is anything to go by (as they basically said the same about that) if this gets enough fan traction I expect you'll see it pop-up on future shareholder calls and they will give it some more resources either for expansions or a sequel at some stage.