Star Wars Squadrons - PC/PS4/XB1/VR!

Started playing Squadrons on Xbox last night.

I'm of the vintage to have played X-Wing, TIE Fighter and X-Wing vs TIE, so was really looking forward to it.

And the bit I did play did not disappoint. Just feels like Star Wars. I was having great fun flying alongside the Star Destroyers really close, surprising myself by not crashing into them.

I then switched to the Rebels, and liked the idea of seeing the same part of the story from the other side. Except I didn't. I flew to where the Imperials were, was told to fly under a Star Destroyer. Then nothing. My Xbox froze. Or at least the game did. Nothing worked other than using the Home button to go back to the Xbox dashboard. 

I closed it down and rebooted it. Thankfully it started me from just the Rebels but then froze in exactly the same spot.

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Just think of yourself as a grizzled old X wing pilot who lost an eye in a dogfight but lived to tell the tale, and you're the one all the rookies revere and look up to. It would help if you had a patch and chewed on cigars. 

:)

Blind Leader, standing by.

I've had a quick go earlier. I'm afraid to go more than 10 minutes as my blind eye is healing from a corneal graft. I don't wan't to fuck it up.

But anyway, it worked fine, I got a few VR WOW moments, not like it used to be, but nothing will be. I can play in VR and it's cool with me. Sitting in a TIE Fighter looking around the cockpit?

Get the hell out of here, amazing shit.

1 hour ago, FiveFootNinja said:

One of the early videos with an interview with Ian Frazier said that Motive basically shipped something (I think for Battlefront) and had some downtime before the next project was starting so they built a prototype "new X-Wing" because it was something they wanted to make. That was then pitched as a proof of concept to the suits and they gave the green light (but presumably with tight time and budget constraints). I'll try and dig out the video and repost it. 

EDIT: Found it, see below (around 1:25 in) - They built a prototype in a week and started getting internal people playing it.

My assumption is EA were convinced enough to say "okay, go on then" but with zero ongoing commitment and moving the team onto their next projects swiftly - hence the point blank "nothing else in planned" stance for now. However the key thing there is "planned", if Fallen Order is anything to go by (as they basically said the same about that) if this gets enough fan traction I expect you'll see it pop-up on future shareholder calls and they will give it some more resources either for expansions or a sequel at some stage.

Eurogamer just reiterated the exact same thing from a recent interview:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-08-no-plans-for-star-wars-squadrons-dlc-or-extra-modes-ea-says

TBH I'd much prefer a fully-fledged next-gen sequel in a couple of years if this game does well rather than little drops of paid DLC.

2 hours ago, dave7g said:

I've had a quick go earlier. I'm afraid to go more than 10 minutes as my blind eye is healing from a corneal graft. I don't wan't to fuck it up.

But anyway, it worked fine, I got a few VR WOW moments, not like it used to be, but nothing will be. I can play in VR and it's cool with me. Sitting in a TIE Fighter looking around the cockpit?

Get the hell out of here, amazing shit.

Just play, it's only an eye.  

By the way, how is it in VR?  I'm worried about vomiting all over my legs.  I can Elite fine, but I did not get on with Eve: Valkyrie at all...I fear this is similar.  

I’d say it requires a bit more restraint than Ace Combat 7 (at first) but a lot less than Wipeout Omega... I felt a bit rough after the first session, but second session I played for three hours straight and no ill effects.

2 hours ago, Mitchell said:

Just play, it's only an eye.  

By the way, how is it in VR?  I'm worried about vomiting all over my legs.  I can Elite fine, but I did not get on with Eve: Valkyrie at all...I fear this is similar.  

EVE is a puke party alright. One of the few VR games that made me stop playing due to it. This is not like that at all. It's fine.

That's the new patch released.  I've just updated Squadrons (via Origin).  Not seen the patch notes yet.

Edit: Got the patch notes

Release notes for Update 1.1.

Fleet Battles Ranks

Fixed an issue where players could not be correctly placed in a rank after initial placement matches

Players who have not started their placement matches will be able to place normally

Players who have started their placement matches will have their remaining matches use the corrected system

There will be no rank resets at this time

Controls

Added options in the menu called “Controller Global Deadzone" and "Flight Stick Global Deadzone” which will allow you to modify the deadzone individually for standard controllers and Flight Sticks

Adjusted the default input curves for Flight Sticks, which should make controls feel more responsive

VR

Adjusted some of the visual effects in VR mode, specifically addressing the brightness and bloom when dropping bombs from your Starfighter

Bug Fixes

Fixed an issue where the Fleet Battles Tutorial could become incompletable if the player’s starfighter was destroyed at certain points during the exercise

Fixed an issue where V-Sync would sometimes become disabled upon returning to the main menu

Fixed a bug where the Imperial squadron was not visible in some instances during the opening cinematic for Dogfight mode

Fixed an issue that was causing the 3000 series Nvidia GPUs to default to low quality graphics settings

We’ve removed a couple of instances where development text was appearing in the game

Fixed an issue ensuring VOIP (voice chat) toggles work as intended

Fixed an issue on PC where single-player medals could be removed after playing other game modes. (NOTE: We are aware of this issue on console as well and a fix for that will be coming soon)

Stability

Improved stability in the Spectator feature of online PvP modes

Other general stability improvements and fixes

They have updated the known issues page - unfortunately, looks like the VR refresh rate is still being looked into

I managed about 30 minutes of gameplay, VR still left me feeling ‘off’ and tilting the ship was a definite no-no. I can see how it could be fun, I think my lack of comfort with VR ‘legs’ detracted from it somewhat.

I’ll give it another go over the weekend.

Managed to snag a Saitek x52 HOTAS tonight from FB marketplace - its in as new condition and only been used a "couple of times" by its previous owner. Despite been skeptical went to pick it up and well its boxed etc like new. These things are hard to find at the moment... think its MS's Flight Sim and possibly this game that has been driving demand they seem to be out of stock everywhere.

OK so there is an update for this and I can confirm there are no deadzone issues etc with a Saitek X52 HOTAS.

Had around an hour or so flying around in the practice mode and had some fun swooping low over the debris. VR is just absolutely awesome in this... makes it a different game IMHO. Definitely worth a try if you have access to the hardware.

The controls are interesting though so many damn buttons on the HOTAS! :) So need to spend a bit of time at the weekend optimising those. 

Had a quick go with Elite Dangerous too.. never had a HOTAS for this. However HOTAS + VR. Wow. Not sure what my younger Elite playing self would have made of all this...

Have a free weekend to play so lots of messing about coming up so looking forward to getting all this configured!

Next generation? Its already here for me. :D 

My T4 HOTAS Is packed up somewhere, but I gave it a quick blast offline in story mode on the PS4 controller; pitch and roll on separate sticks initially threw me, but then these aren't planes, so I can see why they made this choice.

But the way it confused me was odd - my first instinct was to invert the Y axis, to pull back to climb. But I strongly associate that with left/right to roll. So if I rolled on the left stick first, I instinctively 'pulled back' to climb with the right; but if I yawed with the right stick, my brain reversed that instinct and wanted to 'push up' to climb. The opposite.

I could not work out why I kept messing up the pursuits. I might have to swap out yaw/roll.

57 minutes ago, smac said:

But the way it confused me was odd - my first instinct was to invert the Y axis, to pull back to climb. But I strongly associate that with left/right to roll. So if I rolled on the left stick first, I instinctively 'pulled back' to climb with the right; but if I yawed with the right stick, my brain reversed that instinct and wanted to 'push up' to climb. The opposite.

Have you tried just swapping the sticks? I have pitch/yaw on the left stick (pitch is inverted, naturally), and just roll on the right stick.

Finished the campaign last night and apart from a single stutter toward the very end it was absolutely tremendous! Its not an easy game to get good at it... but fuck me when you do and start balancing your power switches, drifts, debris dodges, Capital ships runs and dog fighting its blindingly (literally) good.

Spoiler

The one stutter I refer to was when you fly inside the Starhawk and end up in a weird trench run throw back but without any of the intensity or fun. You can't do that first section at speed, plus the gravity beam knocks you about so (for me anyway) it turned into a tedious crawl through the gaps to get to the core. Then the 'escape' was more or less an interactive cut scene, which further removed the sense of exhilaration that the moment should have provided. Lando, Nien Nunb and the Falcon escaping Death Star 2 it was not.

That very minor section aside though, it was everything I hoped it would be! Now onto Fleet Battles for the next 4 years :)

6 minutes ago, smac said:

Ach. EA Account needed for online? Annoying bastards.

I had to get one to redownload the X-Wing VR add-on for Battlefront last week (played it again to see if I would like this).

1 hour ago, Pob said:

Have you tried just swapping the sticks? I have pitch/yaw on the left stick (pitch is inverted, naturally), and just roll on the right stick.

I'll give that a go - did another mission at lunchtime and kept slowing to a standstill. Mind you, after 45 years of playing video games, my brain is pretty quick at rewiring itself for new control systems. I rarely remap physical controls.

But this might just be different.

Do we know if yawing right is slower than roll-and-pitch to the right?

53 minutes ago, smac said:

I'll give that a go - did another mission at lunchtime and kept slowing to a standstill. Mind you, after 45 years of playing video games, my brain is pretty quick at rewiring itself for new control systems. I rarely remap physical controls.

But this might just be different.

Do we know if yawing right is slower than roll-and-pitch to the right?

Yeah, it is. Not nearly as slow as a fighter jet in Ace Combat or whatever, but definitely much slower than rolling and pitching. When I select a new target, I roll so that targeting square is at the top of the radar, then pull up to bring it in front of (standard X-Wing stuff), then use yaw for smaller adjustments when the target is basically in front of me.

I got two rounds in tonight before having to quit to help my youngest get back to sleep - finally succeeded in that and now it can’t connect to the EA servers :(

Is there any service availability notice on a website or anything?

Having trouble evading missiles. Do I hit the left dpad for engines, go half speed, turn and go full speed in another direction? That's what I'm doing and im getting killed.

Also is the yellow indicator the missile?