Star Wars Squadrons - PC/PS4/XB1/VR!

ravnaz

Had a quick blast at lunchtime today tried the Fleet Attack tutorial.

No idea what I'm doing. Managed to map some of the buttons on the HOTAS. But going to take a bit of figuring out.. :D 

Problem is if you've just got a HOTAS and have a VR headset on and it nudges you to press "Button 6"... what button is that :D Need to spend some more time on this I think and messing with the HOTAS....

1 hour ago, dave7g said:

Having trouble evading missiles. Do I hit the left dpad for engines, go half speed, turn and go full speed in another direction? That's what I'm doing and im getting killed.

Also is the yellow indicator the missile? 

If it's coming from far away I tend to just go full speed and jink left and right, however 9 times out of 10 I just wait until it's close (the red arrows come in either side of your target reticle) and when nearby fire the countermeasures (not sure on the pad button for that as I'm on HOTAS, think it's R3). It's more problematic on multiplayer when you more often get two locks in quick succession and the countermeasure hasn't recharged in which case if I hear the lock going I try and find some scenery to fly around.

2 hours ago, MattyP said:

Had a quick blast at lunchtime today tried the Fleet Attack tutorial.

No idea what I'm doing. Managed to map some of the buttons on the HOTAS. But going to take a bit of figuring out.. :D 

Problem is if you've just got a HOTAS and have a VR headset on and it nudges you to press "Button 6"... what button is that :D Need to spend some more time on this I think and messing with the HOTAS....

I had the same issue.  I’m on the Thrustmaster x hotas and I only realised the other day the buttons are physically labelled, then it’s just a case of memorising the buttons. 

I’m sticking to co-op fleet battles vs AI for the time being, that mode let’s me get to grips with everything without feeling constantly harassed. It’s pretty tense even on easy mode.

I just hit my record for damage dealt to capital ships, something like 89,000 in a TIE bomber - mostly because a team mate in a TIE reaper always managed to give me a resupply when I was up front engaging the enemy flagship. Exactly what I’d hope for from a co-ordinated team, but this was just randoms with no voice chat, so pretty remarkable.

I think my current issue to work on is I get easily disoriented when the phase switches from attack to defend - especially in those asteroid cluttered stages, I just end up spinning around excessively trying to find the right direction to point in (and usually fly straight into the danger zone to my death).

Is there a knack to reading the radar to know which way you’re pointing? The A/B/C/D target points take a little while to appear when the phase shifts, that’s when I get discombobulated.

2 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Is there a knack to reading the radar to know which way you’re pointing? The A/B/C/D target points take a little while to appear when the phase shifts, that’s when I get discombobulated.

Look for the grey blobs on the radar when you want to get back to safety. Those are you capital ships. When I’m turning around I’m not even looking at the main screen, I’m focused totally on the radar. As soon as the thing I’m after appears on the forward radar, that’s when I look up and find it out the window. 

For the attack phase I set target group to ‘objectives’ to easily find the enemy cruisers. 

18 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

If it's coming from far away I tend to just go full speed and jink left and right, however 9 times out of 10 I just wait until it's close (the red arrows come in either side of your target reticle) and when nearby fire the countermeasures (not sure on the pad button for that as I'm on HOTAS, think it's R3). It's more problematic on multiplayer when you more often get two locks in quick succession and the countermeasure hasn't recharged in which case if I hear the lock going I try and find some scenery to fly around.

Yeah, this method works, but you only have so many counter measures. Ideally you want to be doing sharp 90 and 180 degree turns, using sceanary if you can. Boost your engines for the evasion and if you're a rebel flip your shields to reverse.

That’s the theory, but when you need to run away from a fight you will probably be currently in weapons power, and even if you switch to engines it takes (too much) time for the boost to charge up. I have never successfully fled from a desperate fight this way :/

There are some fast charging engines that might make it more workable?

Pob’s tip about the power conversion for TIEs works, as long as you have let the lasers charge all the way up.

Looking at the trophy requirements, they obviously want you to try out all the different classes of ship - I tried out the support ships and the interceptors for the first time tonight, but not feeling them much. With the A-wing I landed loads of hits but rarely got any kills of my own (lots of assists), plus all it took was one scratch and I was dead. The reaper’s seeker mines didn’t seem effective either but maybe nobody was chasing me. 

I got the heavy hitter trophy tonight though, so my bias towards the bombers is showing.

1 minute ago, Darwock said:

That’s the theory, but when you need to run away from a fight you will probably be currently in weapons power, and even if you switch to engines it takes (too much) time for the boost to charge up. I have never successfully fled from a desperate fight this way :/

There are some fast charging engines that might make it more workable?

Pob’s tip about the power conversion for TIEs works, as long as you have let the lasers charge all the way up.

The TIEs get enough boost to make an escape using power conversion even if you've not got max lasers. For the New Republic, you need to weave and turn for a little bit before you can boost for safety, but it still works. It's hard to plan for when you're going to get into trouble (unless you are making a bombing run on a capital ship) so I just whack power to engines when I start taking too much damage.

I’m on quite a bit, if you see me feel free to invite (although there may be an issue with message & other notifications not being displayed when in PSVR, you only get the sound).

I think I’ve done 4 ranked fleet battles now, players have dropped out every time but sometimes the result is counted, sometimes not. Must be % of match played or something.

Loving this, currently playing on Xbox with controller.

I would advise anyone having a brain-fart over the control scheme, to look at the remap options. 

I have all Pitch and Yaw controls on the left stick, with Roll and Throttle on the right. 

Makes sense for me, you might find something else to your liking. 

Is anyone likely to be playing in the late afternoon today? That would tie up with my kids going to bed in Japan, so that’s when I’m able to jump on. I know most folks will be playing in the late evening in the UK, but can’t hurt to ask.

I was browsing all the emotes and things, they are all win/loss reaction poses and stuff, obviously for the post-battle briefing room - except the briefing room only appears *before* the battle, and as your squad is automatically disbanded and matchmaking puts you in a new one every time, it’s all completely useless if you don’t have a squad of your own :(

I don’t need to prepare, I live it daily.

I’ve been messing with my load-outs to try and find something that works for me - I decided to keep the Slam engine for the rebel ships, but not because of the passive generation (which is too slow to count on) but more because your stored boost doesn’t disappear if you switch to shields or weapons. It’s handy to have it always there when you need it.

I’m also working on the principle that once I’m under attack, I always get killed - so I’ve gone for maximum shield strength that doesn’t regenerate once depleted (because it probably wouldn’t matter).

However in team play, me getting killed too much will lose the round for my team so I may need to work on my escape skills rather than just trying to live a little longer each time.

I’m on now, just doing some dogfights. If anyone comes online send me an invite, I can play any mode.

I’m practicing drifts after passing an enemy, it seems like this is the move to use as I always end up face to face with them - presumably they are trying the same thing on me.

@SharkyOB I see you as ‘In Game’, I sent an invite but otherwise will just wait for the option to join your game to become available (it’s greyed out)

I spectated the tail end of a dogfight where your team was dominating 21 points to 11 or something, and then a fleet battle where you were in the attack phase on the star destroyer and took out every subsystem without switching to defense. My rounds never go that smoothly.

I regularly do stuff like dramatic handbrake turn fly bys to unleash a volley of missiles into thin air, and then boost straight into a pole or other inanimate object to gift the opposition some points. You don’t need to be embarrassed, lol

I still don’t think the invite stuff works properly. When I was spectating it said I would join the lobby as soon as it became available - but there are no lobbies - after each round everyone disbands. I don’t think they thought it through properly.