Star Wars Squadrons - PC/PS4/XB1/VR!

ravnaz

15 hours ago, merrychan said:

I really like the look of this, setup will be base PS4, PSVR and Pad and mostly interested in Campaign but maybe a try of coop fleet battles Vs AI.

Should I?

I finished it last night and really enjoyed the campaign,  felt really polished for a PSVR game.  Took me around 8 hours and I generally did a mission a night which, for me, is perfect for VR sessions

I got this on PS4, worked through the majority of the campaign and jumped on for a few quick matches online.managed about 5 in total.

Matched up against folk in Germany and the US in different games and I was wondering how that would affect server lag given that I'm in australia?

Also being dropped in games with folk who are level 25 and 50, I was almost getting spawn killed and won't be back until there's something done about matchmaking.

Pity, I generally love star wars and really enjoyed starfighter assault in BF2, this seems a more in depth and interesting experience if they sort out some of the issues

5 hours ago, lolly said:

I got this on PS4, worked through the majority of the campaign and jumped on for a few quick matches online.managed about 5 in total.

Matched up against folk in Germany and the US in different games and I was wondering how that would affect server lag given that I'm in australia?

Also being dropped in games with folk who are level 25 and 50, I was almost getting spawn killed and won't be back until there's something done about matchmaking.

Pity, I generally love star wars and really enjoyed starfighter assault in BF2, this seems a more in depth and interesting experience if they sort out some of the issues

I picked up the game on launch, played some campaign and played some multi. Hadn't touched the multiplayer in a week when I came back to it last night...got totally wrecked across the board; thought I'd play support roles and kitted myself out with extra shields etc but I didn't make a difference. I need to do some reading/watching to catch up the best way to do things.

5 hours ago, lolly said:

We tried multi a number of times on launch week. It's a huge nope from me. From getting almost one shotted regularly, to rattling enemies with rounds but them never seeming to die, to being spawn killed, to being matched to people in USA and dealing with lag issues it was just frustrating as fuck.

It doesn't help that the controls are really tricky to get used to. I can kind of do it using southpaw, but they're not easy. I wish we could get a control setup like the planes in BF3 / BF4. They were perfect and easy to fly. Flight controls from Battlefield 1 / 5 / Battlefront and this all fucking suck.

Speaking as someone who is currently level 35, level is no indicator of ability (I suck - 0.37 win rate, 0.92 KDR). You shoot up the ranks fairly rapidly if you play it often, especially if choosing a random faction or playing with friends.

I’ve also often seen people higher level than me being some of the worst scorers in the match.

There’s a learning curve for sure, but sometimes the other team is just too strong and have nothing left to shoot at, so you take all the fire when you spawn. The tables can turn though.

edit - the controls are 100% customizable. You can set it up pretty much any way you want.

We heard you the first time!

(11 is my best I think)

Have you ever had a bad round though? Like, 2 kills and 7 deaths?

I generally do the best in a TIE bomber with 4000 hit points in the hull - but I have the most fun in an X-wing, drifting round asteroids, stunning enemies with ion shots. I can’t get on with the A-wing or Interceptor against human opponents, and in a support ship I focus so much on supporting my team I usually ignore all the people gunning for me and promptly die.

I finished my 10 matches for a ranking tonight - the last one was for the most part in our favour, I thought we had it in the bag with all but one of their power systems destroyed and our capital ship still quite healthy, but we switched to defense before we could finish it off and managed to lose It all in that one phase :/

I got given one rank above the bottom one, hotshot-1 I think it was.

I tried again so as not to end the evening on a downer and we got hammered again. I don’t want to throw up excuses but I was tailing one guy as he headed for the MC-75, pelting him with laser fire constantly for... I don’t know, 5-10 seconds? It was a really long time that I had him dead-to-rights. Yet I got jumped from behind and killed first.

2 hours ago, Benny said:

I'm just looking for a bit of friendly rivalry I guess...

I need to get back to this as I've barely played since the launch weekend. Think my best kill score is about 5 (but I was about 5-8 I think) but I've only played three or four dogfights though. Will do my best to get some more time in the furball and will post up when I've got something worthy of mentioning properly :D 

On 20/10/2020 at 16:25, Mr Tony said:

We tried multi a number of times on launch week. It's a huge nope from me. From getting almost one shotted regularly, to rattling enemies with rounds but them never seeming to die, to being spawn killed, to being matched to people in USA and dealing with lag issues it was just frustrating as fuck.

It doesn't help that the controls are really tricky to get used to. I can kind of do it using southpaw, but they're not easy. I wish we could get a control setup like the planes in BF3 / BF4. They were perfect and easy to fly. Flight controls from Battlefield 1 / 5 / Battlefront and this all fucking suck.

Just on this , I've read on Kotaku.au that there's lots of folk having similar issues with the matchmaking and ranking as well as  hits not registering, more prevalent for players in oceania.

I just had my first game of Fleet Battle in a week or so and it all seems to good to me. We were up against lvl 40+ imperials and did ultimately lose but it was close. The TIE Bomber does seem to be able to take some insane punishment if geared for hull strength, but I got about a 3 KDR playing in the A-wing and even managed to knock out a sub-system on a jammy attack run.

Something a bit screwy with one of my fleet battles tonight. The match started at Esseles, I went directly to the enemy raider to try and take it out - it killed me in the process, but someone destroyed it while I was in the respawn timer and we shifted to attack phase. I respawned, was rushing to the frigates and then boom - we got the star destroyer exploding cutscene and we won the game.

I got the award for 100% accuracy because I only fired at the raider (couldn’t miss) and my lowest death count with just the 1 in a fleet battle. Hmmm.

It didn’t get counted because someone dropped out - speaking of which, it’s quite frustrating trying to see a match through to completion and have it be ranked due to how regularly people are dropping out. I’ve done 23 matches but only got my 10 ranked matches trophy within the last three.

"Lock S foils in attack position" got my Thrustmaster going last week and it made a massive difference I feel like I can be an Xwing pilot again just like the old days on PC.

Hopefully I'll get to play more this weekend and adapt to the new controls - looking forward to binding drift to some of the new buttons.

Gonna get this tonight via the Epic store and play it on my Quest via Link. Need to use my tenner off code asap so that's why I'm going EGS. Hopefully it won't be a stuttery mess on a 9900K 2080Ti with 32GB of RAM and installed to an NVMe, but reading about I'm not sure it's grunt that's the problem but a required patch from the Dev. 

Suppose I'll find out soon. If it does need a patch I'll jump to my other purchase of Stormland which I'll also be buying thanks to another soon to expire money off voucher from Oculus. These money saving vouchers sure do cost you.

8 hours ago, Quexex said:

"Lock S foils in attack position" got my Thrustmaster going last week and it made a massive difference I feel like I can be an Xwing pilot again just like the old days on PC.

Hopefully I'll get to play more this weekend and adapt to the new controls - looking forward to binding drift to some of the new buttons.

Let me know how it goes for you - after spraying down both potentiometers on the stick mine returned to normal use for the week, but as of last night it’s showing some minor roll drift again.

It looks like weekly maintenance is going to be a thing with this stick. I probably won’t bother putting all the screws back on this time, as I will just have to remove them again.

edit - don’t forget about your triangle button when choosing where to put functions! I completely overlooked it as it’s hard to see and your fingers don’t find it naturally. I’ve got everything just right for me now, using the d-pad/hat as target selection and shield settings, target/comm selection wheels on the two buttons at the front of the lever, and the regular controller buttons used for power settings (triangle is boost).

16 hours ago, amc said:

Gonna get this tonight via the Epic store and play it on my Quest via Link. Need to use my tenner off code asap so that's why I'm going EGS. Hopefully it won't be a stuttery mess on a 9900K 2080Ti with 32GB of RAM and installed to an NVMe, but reading about I'm not sure it's grunt that's the problem but a required patch from the Dev. 

Suppose I'll find out soon. If it does need a patch I'll jump to my other purchase of Stormland which I'll also be buying thanks to another soon to expire money off voucher from Oculus. These money saving vouchers sure do cost you.

How'd it go? My setup is same as yours and it's a mess for me.

9 hours ago, Darwock said:

Let me know how it goes for you - after spraying down both potentiometers on the stick mine returned to normal use for the week, but as of last night it’s showing some minor roll drift again.

It looks like weekly maintenance is going to be a thing with this stick. I probably won’t bother putting all the screws back on this time, as I will just have to remove them again.

edit - don’t forget about your triangle button when choosing where to put functions! I completely overlooked it as it’s hard to see and your fingers don’t find it naturally. I’ve got everything just right for me now, using the d-pad/hat as target selection and shield settings, target/comm selection wheels on the two buttons at the front of the lever, and the regular controller buttons used for power settings (triangle is boost).

Oooh sounds a bit shoddy, will keep an eye on that. Unfortunately I only really get time once a week to play, so switching from VR + controller to VR + flight stick has had some issues like I can't remember what button 'repair' was or what it was called, just that when things got a bit broke I could fix it... Will look at refining my controls further - may not play in VR tonight to see if I can get more used to the stick and where all the buttons are.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

How'd it go? My setup is same as yours and it's a mess for me.

Only just bought it, I received an email from Green Man Gaming telling me the game was reduced to £24.14, so cheaper than EGS even with their £10 coupon. It had me faffing about with google and whether GMG's game is the same with VR etc as the others, it is, it's via Origin.

Will post my findings this evening.

Just had a great couple of ranked fleet battles - I was settled in to play for the evening but after two wins in a row things can only get worse, so I’m quitting early on a high. I was top player in both, and in the second one I got my first ever positive KDR while still playing as a kamikaze capital ship missile (which is the only way I can play). I’m not under any delusions though, it was the low quality of opponents and good balance in team mates play style that allowed it to happen. I’m shite at taking out human players.

Interesting stats - 25 ranked fleet battles completed, 0.45 win ratio (so 12 wins?) and I popped the trophy for 10 wins as the Empire on that last one. Meaning I’ve only won as Rebels *twice*. So either the game is putting me on the imperial team 90% of the time, or it’s much harder to win as the Rebels. More people seem to have unlocked the 10 imperial wins trophy than the 10 rebel wins one, so could it be a tad unbalanced?

Yeah I've noticed that Imperials seem to mostly win. I think it's because the TIE Bomber is like a flying M1 Abrams. People seem to just zoom up to a sub-system and come to a full stop to unload their weapons, getting plenty of damage in before getting killed.

23 hours ago, Ry said:

Has there been any talks of upgrades for next gen? 

It's sitting on my shelf waiting to be played on my SX and would be nice if there's an upgrade. 

There isn't. Motive said it'll work cross-gen and take advantage of the BC/Boost modes and SSD speeds but, like DLC, there are no plans for a full next-gen update at present.

22 minutes ago, McFly said:

Sorry if its been asked already but how does this compare to old PC TIE fighter game? I bloody loved that. Rofue Squadron/Leader was decent enoug but i prefered the PC games

It's not directly comparable, but as someone who would list TIE Fighter as one of my favourite games of all time, I've been very very happy with this. Think of it as a modern take on the concept that does a bit of its own thing.