Star Wars Squadrons - PC/PS4/XB1/VR!

5 ranked fleet battles done tonight, the first four it queued me up as Empire again - we won every match. The fourth one I was on the rebel side, and we lost. It was damn close though, the Star Destroyer had the bare minimum of health left while we still had both frigates, then lost it all in one prolonged defensive phase. Bit of a recurring theme.

I hit level 40 and apparently received the last bit of requisition you need so everything is unlockable, so I tried experimenting with some of the weapons etc. The Y-wing has some kind of beam laser which I had equipped but didn’t seem to be able to fire off, is there some kind of knack to using that one?

There was an auxiliary heavy beam weapon in the solo game that you had to hold down the button to fire; that was on the Tie Bomber, I think. Took a couple of seconds to warm up.

2 hours ago, Benny said:

It's not directly comparable, but as someone who would list TIE Fighter as one of my favourite games of all time, I've been very very happy with this. Think of it as a modern take on the concept that does a bit of its own thing.

Thanks thats what i was after, just someone else who was a TIE fan and if they liked this or not

What kind of match? Dogfights take a little longer, 3 mins was my longest but I’d say it’s usually around 1 minute.

Ranked fleet battles take a matter of seconds, but I’ve noticed sometimes it’s perfectly happy to let a round start with 5 vs 4 (and no message about it being safe to leave) so I don’t think it’s very fussy about how it matches people up.

I played another 5 ranked fleet matches tonight. 3 on the rebel side, 2 as imperial. As expected that translated to 3 losses and 2 wins. It’s becoming quite ludicrous, we can totally dominate the early stages but the instant the imperials get to attack the MC-75 it’s game over.

22 hours ago, smac said:

There was an auxiliary heavy beam weapon in the solo game that you had to hold down the button to fire; that was on the Tie Bomber, I think. Took a couple of seconds to warm up.

Yep, that was it - thanks! I should probably have done the story mode before jumping online but heard about the medal reset bug and decided to rinse online for all it was worth first.

I was impressed at the combo of ion cannons to quickly take out raider shields, followed by the high power beam to it’s face as it approaches and then drop bombs on it as it passes. 

Just a heads up, because EA's devs still remain colossal dickheads, the most important setting for VR - resolution scale - isn't in the settings menu. You have to edit a config file. :facepalm:

From Reddit:

Find the file "ProfileOptions_profile" under C:\Users\user\Documents\STAR WARS Squadrons\settings.

There change the setting "GstRender.ResolutionScaleVR" to your desired value.

Default value was 0.8

I have it set at 1.3, and High VR quality in the menu, looks good to me. Ultra looks amazing* though I  noticed ASW kicking in a fair bit.

*That space background could still be better.

Some Mandalorian trinkets have been added to the dashboard ornament stuff to advertise season 2. Entirely useless, but interesting as it shows they are still willing to add some things to the game, even though they said there would be no DLC and no next-gen upgrade.

edit - also I got a new personal record for damage done to capital ships (in one round)- 133,000 odd. We lost the match. I think I was the only person on my team actually attacking the raiders/star destroyer.

I haven’t got close to Benny’s 14 dogfight kills yet though, my best is currently 12 and I don’t do that well very often.

Well, I’ve been in game for over an hour tonight and only managed to get into one match, which wasn’t counted as it only filled 9/10 player slots.

Since yesterday I get server issues every time I start up the game and have to try reconnect for 10-15 minutes to get in, then when I finally do - no matches. Did they bugger something up with the patch? Has everyone moved on already or is it all the PC players coming back now that has overloaded things?

I did eventually get a few more games in, but nowhere near enough for the time spent trying.

I’ll tell you what though, there is some straight up unfair BS going on. When the game tells you a player abandoned the match, “it is safe to quit” - don’t believe the lies. I was at 60% progress through Hotshot 1 rank, we started a game with less players so the info screen announced it was not going to be counted and I could quit the match, so I did. My rank immediately got reset to 0% progress.

A later match, we got half way through and then one of our team dropped out - menu announced the score *would* still be counted, and so we were forced to take a kicking. Lost all the progress I had made in restoring my rank again.

You have to just take whatever shit sandwich the matchmaking lays in front of you; lose rank if you are outnumbered and lose even more if you don’t see a pointless match through to the end.

I’ve also had it up to here with that POS Thrustmaster stick - I noticed it was becoming really hard to pitch up, so did some on the spot maintenance (more electrical cleaner and air duster) and it effed up the roll Inputs again. Another thorough cleaning, and now I can’t get full lock when I roll left - it is slower than if I go right. The potentiometer gives a proper response if I twist it with my fingers, so it must be something mechanical with how the stick is rotating the POT. Did several disassemble/reassembles with no change and then just dumped the thing on the floor and plugged my Hori back in.

Not a good evening, all told.

On 30/10/2020 at 02:58, Benny said:

I'm finally getting my fill of Hades, so I'll be right back on this this weekend to try for a higher score.

I didn’t do better, but I finally matched your kill record. So this is where you tell me you blew it away over the weekend, lol.

14 kills, 3 deaths, 8 kill streak. I was using a TIE bomber at Nadiri dockyards, and a fair number of those kills were seeker mines (lol at the overly macho voice of my pilot gloating “and I wasn’t even trying”) but I’ll take what I can get.

I finally got 10 wins as Rebels in ranked fleet matches, and I do want to improve my rank but I need a break from that mode. Really fed up with it starting the match with unbalanced teams. Today was 4 vs 5 in the briefing room, then when it force-started on the timer someone else on my team obviously couldn’t be doing with it either, so they dropped out leaving us as 3 vs 5 - after the first round of getting pummeled everyone else quit except me (I wanted to keep my rank progress) - so I just switched to spectate match from perched high above the Star Destroyer. Funnily enough, even with no active opposition the other team managed to get shifted to defense by the AI. I still didn’t come out though. Bloody ridiculous.

Those seeker mines are the worst. Took me a whole game of randomly blowing up while chasing the same TIE Bomber before I realised what was happening

New dogfight record!

15 kills, 6 deaths (forgot to check assists), I could have had more but I got a bit over-excited as the clock ticked down and boosted into an asteroid. There was one other guy higher level than me and I was leading him most of the match but he finished on 16 kills, bahhh 

He was flying an A-wing and I can say with confidence that the missile reversal countermeasure is much more annoying than seeker mines ><

@Benny You’d best just uninstall Hades and get back in the cockpit

31 minutes ago, Darwock said:

New dogfight record!

15 kills, 6 deaths (forgot to check assists), I could have had more but I got a bit over-excited as the clock ticked down and boosted into an asteroid. There was one other guy higher level than me and I was leading him most of the match but he finished on 16 kills, bahhh 

He was flying an A-wing and I can say with confidence that the missile reversal countermeasure is much more annoying than seeker mines ><

@Benny You’d best just uninstall Hades and get back in the cockpit

Fuck it, I'm going on tonight. What ship was that in? My record is with an X-Wing so far.

A mix, I started in a regular TIE fighter, and after a couple of deaths I switched to the Bomber.

edit - PSA for everyone that hasn’t played for a while, there’s another patch out. I’d love to know what was changed but they provided a QR code on a loading screen for details. Not much bloody use when you’re playing in VR.

Great change:

Capital ship turrets are now much deadlier against players that are slow/close to capital ships and less deadly against players that are fast/far

Thanks for that, some great stuff I’ve been keeping my fingers crossed for, especially with ranked fleet battles.

TIE bomber nerfed too, wish that had come when I was trying for my 10 rebel wins.