IGNORED

Scary games: do you enjoy them and what's the scariest you've played?

Jamie John

On 13/06/2020 at 19:43, Sumire said:

The only thing that scares me in games these days is in VR. Anything with giant spiders in VR scares me to death. One comes to mind is the Brookhaven Experiment were you are in that sewer and the spiders are on the roof and spit webs in your face etc. Resident Evil 7? VR was amazing and scary at the same time, loved that.

Hehe, have you played the Until Dawn VR shooter? That has a boss that would break you.

First off, you get so used to holding the moves as guns the game hands seem like they are your hands when you look at them. With that in mind.. there is a giant spider boss. Horrible enough, but when you kill it blows up into hundreds of smaller spiders that run towards you.. AND ONTO YOUR HANDS! You swear for a second they are on your actual hands! Wild!

On 13/06/2020 at 22:06, Strategos said:

As mentioned,  alien isolation in VR is so scary it's not even fun. 

I must give this a go sometime and put the time into configuring this.  Totally loved that game - it was plenty scary without VR!

So far my scariest is RE7 in VR. It's the immersion factor. 10/10.

I enjoy scary games, but of course they tread a fine line between being actually scary and making you replay sections. Alien isolation was scary until I got to the nest, then I died so much I got bored and frustrated, rather than scared. For me the best scary games are those which get under your skin. No threat of having to restart from a previous save, just ominous unnerving atmospheres. I prefer the horrors in a visual novel where there's no real threat to my time, too anything where I can shoot my way out of trouble.

52 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

Another for alien isolation In VR - having Alan “actually” there and chasing you, well im

not ashamed to say that there have been several brown trouser time moments!! (Love the movie dlc being able to explore the nostromo etc)

PreciousIckyEarthworm-size_restricted.gi

---------

Dead Space is about as much as I can handle, incredibly tense and you feel like you can never relax as all of your equipment/menus are dealt with in real time so you're constantly on guard. You can't hide anywhere and every corridor you think you might be able to force the necros into a bottleneck down has a bloody vent at the end, so there's nowhere you really feel like you can get your back against safely. 

6 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Hehe, have you played the Until Dawn VR shooter? That has a boss that would break you.

Reveal hidden contents

First off, you get so used to holding the moves as guns the game hands seem like they are your hands when you look at them. With that in mind.. there is a giant spider boss. Horrible enough, but when you kill it blows up into hundreds of smaller spiders that run towards you.. AND ONTO YOUR HANDS! You swear for a second they are on your actual hands! Wild!

I do have that game, ibut luckily I do not think I got that far yet.

I love horror games, and this thread needs more Frictional Games love - with a new Amnesia game coming later in the year it’s the perfect time to try Soma which, for my money, is their best game so far. The oppressive sense of threat and fear pressing down on you the deeper down into the ocean you go is really quite something. 

I've packed in FEAR after about 3 hours. The shooting was quite good fun, but it looks extremely dated now and the core gameplay is very repetitive: shooty bit; explore some copy and paste corridors and/or office cubicles; creepy bit, sometimes with added jump scare; back to shooty bit. It's a bit dull.

Onto Amnesia now, then. I might have to psyche myself up for it.

6 hours ago, therearerules said:

That said, the scariest game I ever played was Project Zero. Inspired terror that was.

Finally! 

Broken English recordings that just add to the fucked up atmosphere. Third person, fixed cameras... So far, so Resident Evil... But to fight the ghosts that chase you through the fucking walls you have to pull out your camera and suddenly it's first person and you have to let them get as close as possible to do maximum damage and they're screaming about broken necks and rituals and oh my fucking god take the fucking picture! 

Genuinely terrifying. 

I'm an hour into Amnesia and enjoying it quite a lot. It's an interesting story, even if bits of it are lifted more or less directly from Lovecraft. The sound design is good, although the effects on the screen when you start to go mad are more irritating than anything else. It's not been that scary, so far, but it's still early days I suppose. The bit in the water was pretty tense!

On 15/06/2020 at 21:59, Popo said:

I love horror games, and this thread needs more Frictional Games love - with a new Amnesia game coming later in the year it’s the perfect time to try Soma which, for my money, is their best game so far. The oppressive sense of threat and fear pressing down on you the deeper down into the ocean you go is really quite something. 

:wub:

On 15/06/2020 at 17:09, Stolly said:

At the time System Shock 2 freaked me out big time

:) Ive just downloaded this a couple of days back after hearing good things about it and realising that it is linked to the BioShock series. Which I didn't get initially because of the somewhat futuristic tech world that SS2 world is set in over Bioshocks somewhat antique feel.

I want to play them, but I scare too easily. I jumped in the Halo CE campaign ffs. I do have Evil Within on the shelf and also Project Zero: Maiden of Blackwater. God knows if or when I’ll play them. I did enjoy FEAR 2, but don’t consider it scary.

The thing is, horror games don't affect me. This means that I don't like most of them, as they often devolve into a bunch of mediocre puzzles. The original Amnesia: The Dark Descent is one of the very few I've appreciated, as it was a well crafted and atmospheric experience, even though I wasn't really able to appreciate the main draw of it. It's fun hearing from people who were actually terrified of it though, it seems to have been effective for most people.

The action horror genre's another story. I love stuff like Dead Space 2, even though there's no creep factor. It's just a damn good game.