rllmuk
robdood

Griftlands - Klei the Spire

So it seems there isn't a dedicated thread for this. I've bought it this evening on Steam, as it looked decent in a preview I saw a while back. 

It's basically their own take on a Slay the Spire-style roguelike card battler.  Besides some small difference in how things work, it's not just combat you do with cards, but bartering / negotiation and other things too.  It's their usual mishmash of loads of ideas from other games - there's bits of Shadow of Mordor in here, even.  It's looking really great from the short time I've had with it so far!  

Plus it's currently discounted - under a tenner for some interesting early-access card battling goodness. 

Here's a little gameplay trailer. 

Anyone played much of it?  How are you finding it?

• Upvote 2

I've not played it, but will be picking it up when I'm paid.

The reason I'm posting in here though is that I thought I'd mention that I'm excited to play it not just because of Klei's excellent track record (and a very enjoyable demo of the game), but because I've been impressed that while most of the massive games publishers have paid little more than lip service to BLM, Klei, an independent studio, donated $1 million to BLM causes. Love it when the (relatively) little guy puts their money where their mouth is while the multi-billionaires twiddle their thumbs.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Wiper said:

I've not played it, but will be picking it up when I'm paid.

The reason I'm posting in here though is that I thought I'd mention that I'm excited to play it not just because of Klei's excellent track record (and a very enjoyable demo of the game), but because I've been impressed that while most of the massive games publishers have paid little more than lip service to BLM, Klei, an independent studio, donated $1 million to BLM causes. Love it when the (relatively) little guy puts their money where their mouth is whole the multi-billionaires twiddle their thumbs.

Great to see. Klei are also very good with working conditions for their staff, and generally seem to have a very healthy approach to game development. 

I did an interview with the designer of this game a few months ago. It's been stuck in limbo for a while, but should be published this week.

I'd love to get the game now, but will have to hope for a console version.

• Upvote 2

I just have so much respect for klei, as a developer, even if not all their games hit the mark for me personally. What they do is so obviously passionate and committed. Oxygen not included is the game that has really worked for me. I've almost played it more than any other game in history and I'm still enjoying it. I was waiting for full release before buying this but will likely pick it up with the current discount.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Quite cross the topic title isn't Klei The Spire.

Sorry, my pun-brain is pretty bad!!

Two initial impressions, neither positive. There's a lot of dialogue, too much I'd say. Also, unless I'm missing something it isn't at all clear what all the cards do. One of the things I love about Slay the Spire is it gives you all the information as to what cards do and what all the terms mean so there's no guesswork. Here I'm in a negotiation fight, I have a Fast Talk card - there is no information on either the card or the info page as to what Fast Talk actually does beyond a list of potential upgrades. I'm sure it'll all become apparent soon but it's disappointing there isn't more clarity.

I quite enjoyed the dialogue. But yeah I don't get how the debates work at all yet.  It's pretty confusing! 

AFAIK the fast talk just deals 'damage' (as indicated at top of the card, like 1-3) to the argument / thing you select on their side. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, ironically the cards I thought it really failed to explain were the simple damage cards, as they have no explanatory text. It needed a tutorial to flag that any card with numbers in its title deals damage, potentially in addition to other effects where written.

Ah man, this is such a neat game.  I'm loving the random aspects.  Everything's so weird at the moment but it's quite cool just bumbling my way through :D

So this is my interview with the designer, Kevin Forbes. I actually did this a few months ago, and it was originally due to be published by EGM, but they cut their entire feature budget due to Covid-19 related finance issues. It got picked up by Uppercutcrit instead:

https://uppercutcrit.com/feat-of-klei-how-griftlands-exemplifies-a-nurturing-approach-to-game-development/

• Upvote 1