rllmuk
JohnC

7500 - Joseph Gordon-Levitt on a plane

7500, the code for a plane hijacking, sees Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the pilot of a plane doing a routine trip from Berlin to Paris, which gets hijacked. Apparently the whole movie is from the point of view of the cockpit, only seeing outside briefly when the door is opened or on a monitor showing just outside the door. JGL end up alone in the cockpit as he watches hijackers kill one hostage and threaten to kill more on the monitor unless he lets them in. Comes to Amazon on Friday.

• Upvote 2

Pigs can’t fly but hammy acting has no problem finding altitude.

• Upvote 1

I like a good old fashioned hammy hijack film. Watching this.

Watched this on Amazon Prime last night. I enjoyed it, although it's tough in places and not without flaws. Apparently the budget was $5m and they've used it well.

One thing to be aware of: there's a lot of non-English dialogue and the subtitles are off by default.

I suspect this might have been deliberate (because Levitt's character is an American who speaks very little German) but be aware that you can turn the subtitles on and it's all translated.

It's all-or-nothing though. There's no 'just the non-English parts' subtitle track.

• Upvote 1

I thought this was reasonably entertaining. It's played very straight, and I like how physically ineffective Joseph Gopher Reddit was. It's quite rare to have a wimpy dude as a lead in an action movie. 

It's more Desp Air than Con Air but I don't regret watching it.

• Upvote 1

On 16/06/2020 at 08:09, glb said:

Pigs can’t fly but hammy acting has no problem finding altitude.

Fails to stick the landing. 

4 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

Watched this on Amazon Prime last night. I enjoyed it, although it's tough in places and not without flaws. Apparently the budget was $5m and they've used it well.

One thing to be aware of: there's a lot of non-English dialogue and the subtitles are off by default.

I suspect this might have been deliberate (because Levitt's character is an American who speaks very little German) but be aware that you can turn the subtitles on and it's all translated.

It's all-or-nothing though. There's no 'just the non-English parts' subtitle track.

Subs weren’t like that for me. They just translated the foreign bits. I think they were in by default too. 

[edit]

Just checked now and it's still working as it should for me.

Android TV app.

Tried iOS just now and it's proper too. Maybe they somehow have a different copy in different countries and the UK one is shit.

i thought this was.. ok. I used subtitles all the way through, more so as it was late at night.

Overal, it's worth watching if you like these types of movies however...

for the people who did watch it - what happened to the other two terrorists? Where they overcome by the passengers? Who was banging on the cockpit door after the young terrorist guy got through?

I also found it a bit lame that out of everyone on board they found his partner, but i guess it wouldn't have quite been the same otherwise.

I was kinda hoping the pilot ending up stabbing the guy to death and revealing that that was his partner they killed.

Just now, Darhkwing said:

i thought this was.. ok. I used subtitles all the way through, more so as it was late at night.

Overal, it's worth watching if you like these types of movies however...

Hide contents

for the people who did watch it - what happened to the other two terrorists? Where they overcome by the passengers? Who was banging on the cockpit door after the young terrorist guy got through?

Spoiler

Yeah, they were overcome by the passengers.

It was just passengers banging on the door, trying to get the remaining terrorists in there. Try to stop them crashing the plane. They didn't know the full situation in the cockpit, but they would try to stop them rather than just give up and let them crash.

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, they were overcome by the passengers.

It was just passengers banging on the door, trying to get the remaining terrorists in there. Try to stop them crashing the plane. They didn't know the full situation in the cockpit, but they would try to stop them rather than just give up and let them crash.

cool, thanks. I did wonder if that was the case.

11 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Hide contents

I was kinda hoping the pilot ending up stabbing the guy to death and revealing that that was his partner they killed.

Spoiler

JGL does tell him it was his partner they had just killed.

When she's pleading with them for her life, she tells them (in Turkish) "don't kill me, I have a child!" and then turns to the flight deck camera and calls out to JGL (in English) "Take care of my child! Take care of Deniz!"

Later when they're talking, JGL tells him "I have a son. His name is Deniz, with a Z. It's Turkish. His mother was Turkish."

The hijacker asks "What happened?" and JGL just looks at him. He gets it.

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed it. Pretty simple. Last 30 mins is not as strong as the first hour.

6 terrain warning tones out of 10.

• Upvote 1

Enjoyed this. Agree with the above, last 30 minutes didn't quite hold up.

Spoiler

Telegraphed his wife's death a mile off tho. Didn't really need that, things were tense enough as they were and it ultimately didn't really affect the outcome. 

I rate Joseph Gordon Levitt, I think he's decent in most of the things I've seen him in. Good Bruce Willis mimic in Looper, and convincing in The Walk and Snowden. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Eric86 said:

I rate Joseph Gordon Levitt, I think he's decent in most of the things I've seen him in.

He stinks up anything he touches. Apart from Third Rock From the Sun and getting an ice skate embedded in his face in Halloween H20.

On 02/07/2020 at 20:11, beenabadbunny said:

Interesting. What were you watching it on? PS3 here, then iOS to check. Same on both. 

Just to say I get this problem on both my Samsung and Philips TV apps. It’s infuriating!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

He stinks up anything he touches. Apart from Third Rock From the Sun and getting an ice skate embedded in his face in Halloween H20.

Have you seen the walk or Snowden? 

• Upvote 1