rllmuk

Next Generation Console Pricing - The Poll

Next Gen Console Pricing Poll  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We have lots of price speculation, and obviously we don't know what the target price is yet. We also have lots of "no-one will buy it if it's more than..."

So why not run a poll?

First question - choose all that apply - so if you'd spend up to £500, that'd be £300, £350, £400, £450, £500.

Second and third questions are just for kicks - can the collective wisdom of Rllmuk identify the price these two things ship at later this year?

I doubt I'll be buying either console at launch, but I reckon they'll both be between £450 and £500. Breaking the £500 barrier will be to much for the majority of prospective customers.

1 minute ago, Jamie John said:

I doubt I'll be buying either console at launch, but I reckon they'll both be between £450 and £500. Breaking the £500 barrier will be to much for the majority of prospective customers.

You see, I'd agree with you if it was only this market, except I think it's going to be driven by the US dollar price, and I can easily see that being over 500 dollars.

Good to see people being realistic with price expectations. Less than £500 for either (barring the digital only PS5 which will prob be £50 less than the disk version) will be a pleasant surprise. 

I think we've already managed to fuck the poll!  10 people will apparently buy them if they are priced between £350-£400 but only 7 people will buy them if they are priced cheaper than that.

Presumably three people think if they are priced at £300 they will be so shit as to not being worth buying!

5 minutes ago, McCoy said:

I think we've already managed to fuck the poll!  10 people will apparently buy them if they are priced between £350-£400 but only 7 people will buy them if they are priced cheaper than that.

Presumably three people think if they are priced at £300 they will be so shit as to not being worth buying!

The poll is daft. If you're prepared to pay £500, of course you'd pay less. The question should be "what's the max you'd be willing to pay?". 

11 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Good to see people being realistic with price expectations. Less than £500 for either (barring the digital only PS5 which will prob be £50 less than the disk version) will be a pleasant surprise. 

I went with less than £550, but I wouldn't be surprised by £599. It'll be interesting to see just how few people pre-order at £500+ though.

Remember kids, you get an astrobot playroom title in the box!

Just now, Doctor Shark said:

The poll is daft. If you're prepared to pay £500, of course you'd pay less. The question should be "what's the max you'd be willing to pay?". 

The reason I didn't phrase it like that is because you'll naturally choose a value you think is "acceptable", and you don't get a natural distribution graph at the top of the page.

If the XSX is £450, I'll be straight on it. Wrong side of £500 and there's a mental block to stumble over.

I got the impression that the expectation was that PS5 would cost more than the XSX - interesting that people generally think they'll cost the same. 

1 minute ago, Wahwah* said:

If the XSX is £450, I'll be straight on it. Wrong side of £500 and there's a mental block to stumble over.

I got the impression that the expectation was that PS5 would cost more than the XSX - interesting that people think they'll cost the same. 

What was this based on out of Interest? They're roughly the same base machine except the xsx has more powerful hardware gpu wise particularly so should cost more. 

I'm expecting the disc PS5 and the XSX to come in at virtually identical prices at the £500 mark, but I also assume the reason we don't know either yet is a brinksmanship move. If it turns out one has a slightly cheaper manufacturing cost, maybe one of those will take £20 or 30 off the price to steal an advantage. I'm more or less assuming, with no knowledge, that the cost of the extra horsepower in the XSX is offset by the more expensive SSD in the PS5. I'd be interested if anyone has insight into that?

I'm interested to know how much cheaper the digital PS5 will be - I assume it'll be more than the wholesale cost of a drive is, but I wonder if it'll be significantly, given Sony would expect to make more off it over time (retailer's cut and higher prices and no reselling.) The digital PS5 has the potential to put the rumoured Lockhart XSX in a difficult position, depending on pricing. I wonder if it'll end up that the two PS5s are just slightly either side of the XSX in price.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Uzi said:

What was this based on out of Interest? They're roughly the same except the xsx has more powerful hardware so should cost more. 

I don't know if there was any detail but in conversations with a few people, that just seemed to be the prevailing thought. 

I remember thinking "huh, they'll be doing well if they can be cheaper and more powerful"

My guess is that Sony will try to hit £449 for the regular PS5, £399 for the Digital Edition, taking a hit on the latter. Both the PS4 and the Pro launched at £349 so the comparative price fits with their cautious messaging about "value".

I suspect Microsoft will push £499 for the Series X. They can negate the price difference somewhat by chucking in a few months of Game Pass, plus it makes sense for them to go high if they're going to be offering a 'budget' option in the form of the much-rumoured Lockhart.

I normally don't buy consoles at launch as you have to buy the games as well, but with XSX I'll get the first party titles as I have gamepass. 

I bought a Switch at launch for Zelda  only because I didn't get a Wii U. In this case I only have an original bone, no s or x. 

My guess is PS5 for £450, Series X for £500. I think the series X will have more expensive insides but will be a cheaper box to manufacture and the PS5 will have slightly cheaper components, but the unique shaped case will cost more to make. 

2 minutes ago, Ferine said:

My guess is that Sony will try to hit £449 for the regular PS5, £399 for the Digital Edition, taking a hit on the latter. Both the PS4 and the Pro launched at £349 so the comparative price fits with their cautious messaging about "value".

I suspect Microsoft will push £499 for the Series X. They can negate the price difference somewhat by chucking in a few months of Game Pass, plus it makes sense for them to go high if they're going to be offering a 'budget' option in the form of the much-rumoured Lockhart.

There is zero chance that Microsoft go higher than the top PS5 price. I'd be quite surprised if they're substantially higher than the digital price: they'll be sitting in the middle.

35 minutes ago, footle said:

There is zero chance that Microsoft go higher than the top PS5 price. I'd be quite surprised if they're substantially higher than the digital price: they'll be sitting in the middle.

Why is there zero chance?

Assuming that Lockhart does indeed exist then I think it makes sense for the Xbox range to bookend Sony's prices. You have the Series X as the premium option – "most powerful console", etc – which is easy enough to message as being better value than the competition as you don't need to buy Halo or whatever else Microsoft has at launch (at least whilst your Game Pass lasts) and your old accessories work. Then there's Lockhart (Series S?) coming in cheaper than whatever Sony's lowest priced hardware is.

If Microsoft were anticipating undercutting the competition I don't think they'd have bothered developing a less powerful, cheaper variant. Whilst it's hard to say without all the details on their custom hardware, there's a good chance the Series X is more expensive to produce than the PS5 given the difference in CU counts.

Almost certainly won't get a PS5 until it has been out about two years and come down significantly in price. 

That said, in the unlikely event that it costs somewhere around £300 I could be tempted to jump in early if there is a launch title that's getting my motor running and providing my financial situation will allow it.