IGNORED

Unexplored and under used settings and themes in games

Rayn

1 minute ago, Stanshall said:

90s Parisian banlieues. 

MC Solaar soundtrack. 

Noisy-le-Grand Riots. 

Youri Djorkaeff's World Cup winner's medal has been kidnapped by Le Pen's fascist bootboys and only you, a Maghreb taxi driver, can recover it and restore the nation to its blissful state of precarious civil unrest in this animated point-and-click adventure directed by Albert Barillé. 

Fuelled by Croque Madames and Lucky Strike, you take on a series of opponents at table football, chatting up women and an open mic rap battle. Order a Kronenbourg at McDonald's, buy an international phone card and save your game at an internet café.

Le Monde Est À Toi

By Delphine Software. 

Get loads of your mates together, cable up and play online.

A La Haine party.

11 hours ago, SeanR said:

the assassins creed game after the vikings one might be pre-Colombian... don’t quote me though.

Unless I’m right, then do.

If it's AC: The Fifth Sun, set just before & during the Spanish conquest, featuring a fully-realised recreation of Tenochtitlan & playing as a Mexica warrior, then I can die a happy man.

A game where you’re shrunk down to microscopic size and have to enter a persons body to save them.

Outside of that Mario & Luigi game and the world of Xenoblade chronicles I’ve not seen many games use the “the world is a body” concept.

The very original Tomb raider, echoey caverns and jungles to explore, cliffs and temples to clamber up, pools to dive into and swim through with fantastic puzzles, trapdoors, rolling boulders and of course wild animals to fight or avoid was brilliant.... and I think it was completely ruined just as soon as you reached the point where you could fight human opponents. Jump to Tomb Raider now and its all about killing 100's (1000's?) of human opponents to the point of ridiculousness. A return to that original Tomb Raider (the first two thirds of the game from memory) would be fantastic :blah:

On 22/06/2020 at 11:05, dumpster said:

The majority of their paying audience might be playing that ice level and that jungle level for the first time. it would certainly explain how Sony get away with releasing the same Gran Turismo game year after year, and EA keep releasing the same FIFA game.

You're confusing Sony with someone else.  Gran Turismo may feel like it comes out every year, but the latest game will celebrate it's 3rd birthday before the ps5 comes out, and the next one won't be out for at least another year I think. The current game, GT Sport isn't really the same game either, being massively online focused.  Gran Turismo 6 - the last full game was a ps3 game released in 2013!

Microsoft... yeah we get a Forza Motorsport and a Forza Horizon alternating annually, F1 is on the annual increments too though it's perhaps still immature enough that they haven't quite reached Fifa levels of the same game, team management type stuff coming in the 2020 installment for example.

Actually, what I think is quite interesting is Nintendo, who are often criticised for milking franchises a LOT, but actually tend to reinvent those series in some way, and, perhaps more than most do bring new ideas along.  Who saw Splatoon or Arms coming?

I'd like to see more games explore more new game play concepts, I'm less interested in another FPS in a different setting, or GTA in a different time period.

Except racing games.  We really, really need a classic racing game, a remake of Le Mans 24hr from playstation/dreamcast, or TOCA touring cars (using cars and tracks from the time) or Codemasters making a game with tracks and cars from the 1965 F1 season, or whatever...

Football's rich history doesn't get much of a look in. I suppose it's true of most sports, but I know football best so I'll stick with that.

Generally, if a football game makes a concession to football having existed before the present day, it's a handful of licensed classic players or, if you're lucky, an entire team or two. World Cup 98 had a bunch of classic games, while Viva Football had every World Cup including qualification from 1958 onwards, which is the best thing about an otherwise very ropey game.

One of the issues, I guess, is conveying the change in the game over the years. Play as a classic team but with modern day tactics and it's just the same as if you didn't bother going back in time at all. But the chances of lining up against a team full of English public school dribblers in a 2-3-5 formation and not being able to break it with a bit of modern day tiki-taka are slim. Even if you restrict the formations and strategies available to those of the era, the game can't reliably dictate what you actually do with the ball at your feet.

Still, I think the concept could be ripe for a game mode or two. Stick the 1888-89 Football League in there, all twelve teams, and see how you get on. Replay the 1930 World Cup in full. Relive those Tony Yeboah strikes from the mid nineties that couldn't be done in games of the era. 

39 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Except racing games.  We really, really need a classic racing game, a remake of Le Mans 24hr from playstation/dreamcast, or TOCA touring cars (using cars and tracks from the time) or Codemasters making a game with tracks and cars from the 1965 F1 season, or whatever

I always figured the mid-late 90s was the last time F1 was interesting so if they want to let me play as David Coulthard hooning around tearing wheels off Ferrari’s I’d buy it.

1 hour ago, Stolly said:

The very original Tomb raider, echoey caverns and jungles to explore, cliffs and temples to clamber up, pools to dive into and swim through with fantastic puzzles, trapdoors, rolling boulders and of course wild animals to fight or avoid was brilliant.... and I think it was completely ruined just as soon as you reached the point where you could fight human opponents. Jump to Tomb Raider now and its all about killing 100's (1000's?) of human opponents to the point of ridiculousness. A return to that original Tomb Raider (the first two thirds of the game from memory) would be fantastic :blah:

Yeah I want the old PlayStation games again, the new ones have little half arsed 'tombs' thrown in where you just move a box or fill a bucket of water and its done, then its just shoot everyone

On 20/06/2020 at 14:58, Broker said:

One thing I found very notable was after we finished Bloodborne my girlfriend was like “what other gothic Victorian looking games are there?”. I could think of The Order which is shite and that AC game in Victorian London, which I assume is shite. That could do with some more exploration. As could steampunk. 

Sunless Sea?

I can't think of anything since that 90's 'Worlds of Ultima' game set in an Aztec/Mayan setting; that would be interesting...

I'm amazed that police procedural hasn't been done more. I did love LA Noire, but something contemporary could be incredible. Do away with hooning about in your car and foot chases and whatnot, and just have a really boring, methodical process of piecing a good crime caper  together. Start with someone having their door chapped by kids and running away and work your way up to tracking down a serial killer who's calling card is stealing the victim's unmentionables and wearing them as a necktie. That kind of thing.

5 hours ago, Freeman said:

You're confusing Sony with someone else.  Gran Turismo may feel like it comes out every year, but the latest game will celebrate it's 3rd birthday before the ps5 comes out, and the next one won't be out for at least another year I think. The current game, GT Sport isn't really the same game either, being massively online focused.  Gran Turismo 6 - the last full game was a ps3 game released in 2013!

Microsoft... yeah we get a Forza Motorsport and a Forza Horizon alternating annually, F1 is on the annual increments too though it's perhaps still immature enough that they haven't quite reached Fifa levels of the same game, team management type stuff coming in the 2020 installment for example.

Actually, what I think is quite interesting is Nintendo, who are often criticised for milking franchises a LOT, but actually tend to reinvent those series in some way, and, perhaps more than most do bring new ideas along.  Who saw Splatoon or Arms coming?

I'd like to see more games explore more new game play concepts, I'm less interested in another FPS in a different setting, or GTA in a different time period.

Except racing games.  We really, really need a classic racing game, a remake of Le Mans 24hr from playstation/dreamcast, or TOCA touring cars (using cars and tracks from the time) or Codemasters making a game with tracks and cars from the 1965 F1 season, or whatever...

Agreed - I just spent the last hour on PSP Ridge Racers, running through a PSTV and it was great fun.  I've probably misrepresented Sony with the Gran Turismo thing, but I watched the PS5 launch trailer and it all looked the same.  But i was inspired by an article I read somewhere in the past that basically said, look, you're 46 years old, they aren't aiming this stuff at you, and when I play Crash Bandicoot with my nieces they love the unexpected ice level and the old tropes are are only old because I am old.

On 22/06/2020 at 15:52, Flanders said:

I’ve often thought it’s a shame that developers build these huge detailed open worlds that are only used once for one type of game. I’d love to play a proper detective game in GTA 4 and 5’s Liberty City, for example. Like LA Noir but done properly.

The one series that does this to any degree is Yakuza. Every game is at least partly set in the same small neighbourhood of Tokyo and you can observe how it changes throughout the series. They even have a detective game spinoff that uses it. Really works well for those games. 

Nintendo did something like this once where they used the same locale for Wii Sports Resort and Pilotwings Resort. 

6 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I'm amazed that police procedural hasn't been done more. I did love LA Noire, but something contemporary could be incredible. Do away with hooning about in your car and foot chases and whatnot, and just have a really boring, methodical process of piecing a good crime caper  together. Start with someone having their door chapped by kids and running away and work your way up to tracking down a serial killer who's calling card is stealing the victim's unmentionables and wearing them as a necktie. That kind of thing.

Although not quite as... elaborate as the game you've described, Her Story might tickle your 'piecing-together-clues' itch.

On 22/06/2020 at 21:08, David Kenny said:

There haven't been enough games set in South America during the 16th century, you could play as three native American children trying to find a missing father, while avoiding the clutches of various evil Spaniards searching for El Dorado. Also you would find a giant golden condor at some point.

Yes, I have been watching The Mysterious Cities of Gold with my kids. What makes you ask that?

You know there’s a Mysterious Cities of Gold game on the Wii U, right?

1 hour ago, Made of Ghosts said:

It hasn’t come back since Mario Kart 7 though right? We need GTA Wuhu Island.

How about a Tropico-esque city builder/management game, perfect. 

I've long wanted a Napoleonic wars game that isn't a beard strokey wargame. There was obviously Napoleon Total War and a great mod for (medieval Elite type game) Mount and Blade that turned it into a multiplayer Napoleonic wars FPS, a proper game could be great. 

15 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

A game where you’re shrunk down to microscopic size and have to enter a persons body to save them.

Outside of that Mario & Luigi game and the world of Xenoblade chronicles I’ve not seen many games use the “the world is a body” concept.