rllmuk

Constant radio/narrative chatter in open world games.

One of the seductive aspects of an open world game is blissfully roaming the beautifully created environment and exploring all the nooks and crannies. But recently I've really noticed a lot of these games have inordinate amounts of white noise in the background. You could argue they contextualize the missions but generally they just grate. I'm much happier just listening to the breeze, or sounds of animals in the distance but it's hard to enjoy this when you have some mindless radio chatter assaulting the eardrum.

I think developers believe there needs to be stuff 'happening' all the time but I prefer the confidence of Breath of the Wild (a rare exception) that gives you breathing space to just enjoy the world.

I'm probably getting old. Or maybe it's just a matter of taste. When I go around to my girlfriend's house she has the TV on in the background all day. All day. Even though it may be on a low volume it does my head in. What's wrong with a bit of quiet contemplation?

• Upvote 4
2 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

One of the seductive aspects of an open world game is blissfully roaming the beautifully created world and exploring all the nooks and crannies. But recently I've really noticed a lot of these games have inordinate amounts of white noise in the background. You could argue they contextualize the missions but generally they just grate. I'm much happier just listening to the breeze, or sounds of animals in the distance but it's hard to enjoy this when you have some mindless radio chatter assaulting the eardrum.

I think developers believe there needs to be stuff 'happening' all the time but I prefer the confidence of Breath of the Wild (a rare exception) that gives you breathing space to just enjoy the world.

I'm probably getting old. Or maybe it's just a matter of taste. When I go around to my girlfriend's house she has the TV on in the background all day. All day. Even though it may be on a low volume it does my head in. What's wrong with a bit of quiet contemplation?

This could be easily fixed by having a radio that can be easily turned on or off. I've often though that having a police radio you can tune into for a constant stream of randomly-generated crimes for you to run around trying to stop would be pretty cool. Crucially, though, you'd have to be able to turn it off!

• Empathy 1

I think the later GTAs let you hang up without answering whenever you get a call, which is nice when I’m already in the middle of something and the last thing on my mind is bowling, Roman.

12 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I think the later GTAs let you hang up without answering whenever you get a call, which is nice when I’m already in the middle of something and the last thing on my mind is bowling, Roman.

You can put your phone on do not disturb, but it turns itself off if you use your phone. This is extremely annoying in V, where sometimes you will get a phone call during free roam that triggers a mission, which is wack. Sure, I was trying to do this other thing but I guess I’ll follow the yellow line on the map instead. 

• Upvote 2
23 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

It's not just open world games for me, I was driven half mad by the constant waffling of Bastion and Transistor.

• Upvote 1