“SPOILER THREAD” - The Last Of Us Part 2

It's easy to time your jump wrong and land in front or behind a WLF/Scar and get shot in the face. :D

Hillcrest is great, also ended with one of the best set-pieces in the game.
Another combat encounter I really dig is the flooded mall. Lots of nooks and crannies, height differences and water to dive in when things go spectacularly wrong.

Bonus jif:

I think this game fails in ways, but it's acting on a whole new plane of what its attempting in linking player and narrative, so those failures are themselves really important. No-one has ever tried something like this.

There is a minor throwaway line from Manny about how is favourite film is the one about the 'princess who rides the wolf'. Which is Princess Mononoke - which if you haven't seen it's on Netflix and brilliant. If you have...

Spoiler

it's a film about conflict, within factions, a girl who is hellbent on revenge, but crucially without simplistic good and evil. It's very similar plot and themes to LoU part 2 and they've a lot in common. They diverge because of the glaring difference - the lack of Ashitaka the main characters who is removed from the factions and tasked to 'see with eye's unclouded by hate'. 

But in Last of Us 2, that's the player. It shows you all sides to let you see with eye's unclouded by hate. 

Ashitaka, after seeing all sides gets to act upon to that and that leads to a positive ending. To find common ground. But the player, so used to being able to take action, is railroaded, quite intentionally, into doing things they don't want to do at every step. 

Lots of people say it should have ended once you get to the theatre the second time round,; you have seen it from both sides and want them to do the same. But you have no actions that allow you to interfere. So it can't end. They need to see with eye's unclouded with hate. 

16 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

This is definitely the first game I’ve ever played where not only do the protagonists have an arc but so do I.

I went from being unusually happy when I found out Joel was a main character I could play again, to hating Abby and looking forward to hunting her down, to being annoyed I was Abby and not being able to wait until I could switch back to have my revenge, to kind of understanding her, to not knowing what the fuck to do as I was made to strangle Ellie as I seriously thought I was about to finish her off, to relief that everything had been kind of resolved, to hating Ellie for turning her back on her perfect second-chance, to hoping I didn’t have to kill Abby, to being sad that I was, to being relieved when I didn’t.

What a fucking ride! And that’s just a few aspects of the plot. Great, great writing for any medium and revolutionary for video games IMO.

As other people have said, this has kind of ruined gaming for me in the short term, at least in regards to third person story driven games. I have AC Odyssey and Fallen Order half finished, but playing just them feels rather empty now.

Think I will stick to my default fall-back of arcade classics and my favourite racers for a while.

I tried to put on Control after this and boy that was a hard landing. When you play TLoUII you forget that literally no game has this level of quality or ambition with its themes.

I've finished two playthroughs and am now mopping up collectibles using chapter select and no guide and I'm still enjoying the hell out of it. Certainly got my money's worth. :)

Man, I really like Owen as a character.  The hero that world needed, but didn't deserve.

The 'what next' is a really interesting point. I played a good few hours of Ghost of Itsushima last night and whilst I really enjoyed it and its clearly an incredible game that I am going to love so much of its grand opening felt a little flat because it has very closely followed LoU2. 

I’ve solved the dilemma of what to play after this by just playing through the chapters again on Survivor in any order I fancy.

Starting with Santa Barbara. Santa Barbara Ellie has to be one of the most bad-ass protagonists ever. Like Ripley, Robocop and Commando all wrapped up into one psycho avenging angel.

4 minutes ago, nakamura said:

I'm surprised people hated Abby by the time she became properly playable. Her motive was already explained by them wasn't it? 

Nope. Up until you start playing as young Abby after the scene where she shots Jessie . You don’t know anything about her motives .

Prior to the switch its fairly clear that Abby's motives are related to the end of the original game but as @PeteBrant says the very specific and powerful reasons for her personal motivation are only revealed when you start to play as her.

Replaying the first game and some of the story beats really hit home knowing what's to come

Sam: What are you scared of?

Ellie:  Let's see... Scorpions are pretty creepy. Um... Being by myself.  I'm scared of ending up alone. What about you?

I've got some bad news for you kiddo :(

16 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Replaying the first game and some of the story beats really hit home knowing what's to come

Sam: What are you scared of?

Ellie:  Let's see... Scorpions are pretty creepy. Um... Being by myself.  I'm scared of ending up alone. What about you?

I've got some bad news for you kiddo :(

"I've got you, babygirl".

:(

Tess and Joel's relationship and the chats with Ellie always give the impression that Joel knows he is on borrowed time.

Tess : What do you know about me? about us?

Joel : I know that this is not you.

Tess : Really? Guess what, we're shitty people Joel it's been that way for a long time...

Tess: Our luck had to run out sooner or later.

Ellie: How did you know?

Joel: Know what?

Ellie: About the ambush.

Joel: I've been on both sides.

Ellie: So, ah, you kill a lot of innocent people?

Joel sighs.

Ellie:  I'll take that as a yes.

Joel: Take it however you want.

Ellie : You guys are pretty good at this stuff.

Joel : It's called luck, and it is gonna run out.

On 03/07/2020 at 15:12, Dirty Harry Potter said:

The day after finishing it - it is still with me. Ellie and Abby, I miss them already.

I also miss Ellie.  I missed Ellie whilst I was playing as Ellie :’(

On 04/07/2020 at 10:50, MardiganX said:

@Uncle Nasty I’ve been thinking about all the things you have said about the game and your overall score and while I would never question that as your opinion I am curious as to what game, if any would merit something like a 8/10 or higher if LoU2 is a strong 6 :)

For me, it’s a 10 for so many more reasons than just its gaming values, but I am really interested to know for people that it doesn’t hit the mark for... what games HAVE really impressed you?

The Last of Us!

On 05/07/2020 at 18:39, Harrisown said:

The ending was pretty dark. Returning home to an empty house was pretty deflating and as a guitar player myself I can’t think of anything more depressing than losing 2 fingers.

Perhaps you can answer my question about that - could she swap hands?  Looks like you don’t need as many fingers on the strumming hand?

On 07/07/2020 at 09:21, Pob said:

The flashbacks and PTSD episodes back at the farm were so important for understanding Ellie's motivation, I think I'd have preferred more of that prior to her mission to Seattle. It reminded me a lot of Aliens, and how James Cameron said they needed a really cast-iron reason for why Ripley would return to LV462 so that the audience can get behind her. The PTSD she experiences while trying to return to a normal life justifies her decision immediately. Although she physically survived, she's mentally still there, and tries to fix herself by going back.

Just speaking personally, but for me to be aligned with Ellie's mission in the first half of the game, I would've preferred:

• knowing nothing about Abby until the mid-game switcheroo
  • an Aliens-style scene that makes it clear that Ellie can't get on with her life until she faces Joel's killer.
  • the focus of the mission to Seattle being purely to get Tommy back, with revenge being more of an ulterior motive that Ellie keeps hidden from Dina etc. I felt everyone was being idiots at the start, and didn't believe that an idyllic settlement like Jackson could survive with the leader tacitly supporting tit-for-tat incursions into hostile territory.

Again, I think this is even more important in a game than it is in passive media.

Yes!  All of this, exactly!

Man, how can people hate Owen? Owen is the only character from the get go who shows sympathy for the enemy. It's Owen who prevents Ellie and Tommy from being killed (which ironically will cost him his life later on), it's Owen who spares the life of an old Seraphite, distancing himself further from the WLF. Owen's "I'm tired of fighting for land I don't care about" is on the money and probably Neil Druckmann's voice as someone who was born in Israel and witness to an endless conflict. Owen is the guy that world desperately needed, but didn't deserve.

I also found it way easier to empathize with Abby than Ellie. Yeah, Ellie may have had a rough past but her entire story is one of mindless revenge up until the very end, killing tons of people who had nothing to do with Joel's death. Abby's story starts with her (entirely understandable) revenge, but as Just Write says in his excellent video, Abby becomes more morally defensible than Ellie. 

Abby dedicated her life to revenge as well, but she didn't kill tons of people to get there and when she eventually got her revenge, it wasn't fulfulling to her. At the end all she cares about is a better life for herself and Lev, who she has gone to great lengths to protect, just as she risked her life to save Yara. When she refuses to fight Ellie at the end in what is a very powerful scene, how can anybody be on Ellie's side?

As for something different:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/07/22/last-us-part-ii-handles-ellies-coming-out-story-with-care-it-reminded-me-my-own/

Yeah exactly. Imagine if TLOU2 had opened with Abby stealth-killing her way through Jackson to get to Joel. She gets let off the hook in that, before you properly take control of her, she doesn't have to hurt anyone except the object of her hatred.

3 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

The WLF letting Ellie and Tommy go did not make any sense however you shake it.

It happened because the writers needed it to happen.

Nah, it's because they're human. Also how were they to know that Ellie and Tommy were overpowered super-soldiers who would cut a swathe through their ranks?

On 23/07/2020 at 17:09, Peb Kacharach said:

The WLF letting Ellie and Tommy go did not make any sense however you shake it.

It happened because the writers needed it to happen.

Nah. It's because Owen said they had nothing to do with it and Owen holds a lot of weight for Abby. Abby is never portrayed as some homicidal maniac.

2 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

I missed the details here. I think it's a game which would benefit from a replay.

It really does. :)

1 hour ago, Peb Kacharach said:

I missed the details here. I think it's a game which would benefit from a replay.

I think it's in the part that is covered by "ringing in the ears" white noise as Ellie, then you hear the whole conversation from the other side later on.

On 23/07/2020 at 16:24, Peb Kacharach said:

It's totally inconsistent with Abby's behaviour outside of cut scenes.

Isn’t that more down to you than her? ;-)