rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Flub

Microsoft shutting down Mixer next month

Moving everything over to Facebook

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/21299032/microsoft-mixer-closing-facebook-gaming-partnership-xcloud-features

Microsoft is closing its Mixer service on July 22nd and plans to move existing partners over to Facebook Gaming. The surprise announcement means Mixer partners and streamers will be transitioned to Facebook Gaming starting today, and Microsoft will no longer operate Mixer as a service in a month’s time.

Microsoft has struggled to reach the scale needed for Mixer to compete with Twitch, YouTube, and even Facebook Gaming which has led to today’s decision. “We started pretty far behind, in terms of where Mixer’s monthly active viewers were compared to some of the big players out there,” says Phil Spencer, Microsoft’s head of gaming, in an interview with The Verge. “I think the Mixer community is really going to benefit from the broad audience that Facebook has through their properties, and the abilities to reach gamers in a very seamless way through the social platform Facebook has.”

Microsoft is partnering with Facebook to transition existing Mixer viewers and streamers over to Facebook Gaming in the coming weeks. On July 22nd, all Mixer sites and apps will automatically redirect to Facebook Gaming. Existing Mixer Partners will be granted partner status with Facebook Gaming, and any streamers using the Mixer monetization program will be granted eligibility for Facebook’s Level Up program. Mixer viewers with outstanding Ember balances, channel subscriptions, or Mixer Pro subscriptions will receive Xbox gift card credit.

And from a different article

The major streamers locked into exclusivity deals with Mixer — including stars like Tyler “Ninja” Blevins, Cory “King Gothalion” Michael, and Michael “Shroud” Grzesiek — will be released from their contracts, and Microsoft says it’s up to them where they decide to go.

“It’s up to them and their priorities,” says Vivek Sharma, the head of Facebook Gaming, meaning the platform isn’t actively pursuing exclusive agreements with any of Mixer’s biggest names.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/21298963/ninja-shroud-mixer-facebook-gaming-twitch

I guess that $20 million they gave Ninja wasn't worth it, then.

Can't say I've ever heard of Mixer beyond Microsoft promoting their E3 press conferences on it. Did anyone here actually use it?

9 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

Can't say I've ever heard of Mixer beyond Microsoft promoting their E3 press conferences on it. Did anyone here actually use it?

I used it occasionally. There were a couple of music streamers I liked on there and to be honest the streaming tech always felt better.

9 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

I used it often due to how accessible it is on the Xbox but never seen it mentioned anywhere outside of the xbox community. 

10 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

Yeah it was a much nicer product than Twitch. More responsive and user focused etc I won't be following to Facebook.

What a waste.

:lol:

”We started late and struggled to catch up” If only everyone in the world had predicted what a fucking pointless idea this was constantly since they first mentioned it. 

• Upvote 2

A good day to die. Mixer was already trending this morning because of this tweet.

My manager decided to give us an analogy, that analogy was “I’m in between a rock and a hard place. What I mean is all the partners are my slaves, I own their content. I control their success on our platform. For me I am the slave master, I own partners”

• Upvote 3

I only used Mixer to watch their E3 press conferences when they were giving away free games if you did, which got me a free copy of The Outer Wilds. Does this mean all of the Twitch streamers they signed can now go back there or are they now contracted to Facebook instead?

Must be lovely to find out you're redundant 5 minutes before the press release.

Not a bad haul for 10 months of doing what you'd have been doing anyway,

• Upvote 5

Bing next? I'm guessing most of that audience is old folk who don't know how to reset a home page.

Given their complete inability to let go of these things I fully expect a new streaming service with a new name that is exactly the same next year. 

• Upvote 4

It's going to be great when everyone finds out Facebook is wildly inflating how popular their streaming content is, just like they did with their video content.

• Upvote 6

Is there a reason MS is desperate not to just let people use Twitch? Not that I care for de facto monopolies either, but it seemed odd to me that they were trying to make Mixer a thing, and then to team up with another probably losing platform seems strange unless there's something strategic about steering gaming views away from Amazon.

32 minutes ago, DC Lemon said:

A good day to die. Mixer was already trending this morning because of this tweet.

This shit is unbelievably grim. American corporations are a fucking nightmare. 

6 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Is there a reason MS is desperate not to just let people use Twitch? Not that I care for de facto monopolies either, but it seemed odd to me that they were trying to make Mixer a thing, and then to team up with another probably losing platform seems strange unless there's something strategic about steering gaming views away from Amazon.

I mean yeah, Twitch is AWS, which is Microsoft's biggest cloud competitor, it's also like the #5 website in the US for internet traffic, so...

There's a lot of companies out there who probably should have just bought Twitch when they were up for IPO.

Imagine having Facebook Gaming integrated into the Xbox dashboard like Mixer was. Fucking gross, I feel dirty thinking about it.

I was going to get an XSX but this has pushed me towards PS5.

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Silver linings and all but I'm still holding out hope for an X-Cloud/Gamepass app on my quest to play games in cinema vision.

image.png.7a55c634d1d0661eeabda96feb04772b.png

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Purin said:

Imagine having Facebook Gaming integrated into the Xbox dashboard like Mixer was. Fucking gross, I feel dirty thinking about it.

I was going to get an XSX but this has pushed me towards PS5.

I was just wondering whether the mixer bit would just be changed back to what it was, I didn’t think the redirect they mentioned would also cover the integrated streaming options - have they said it will definitely be Facebook gaming on the dashboard?

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

Please let this be the prelude to Oculus headsets working on XsX (it won’t be).

Agreed. Don’t give 2 toots about mixer or twitch, I just want so kind of VR on my XSX