rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Flub

Microsoft shutting down Mixer next month

This suggests there might be some kind of deep Facebook integration on the new xbox. That'd be a very bad move akin to the 'no used games' pr disaster that killed the bone. 

Also I had no idea Facebook Gaming exists. 

• Upvote 5

I know GiantBomb trends towards an older audience but I cannot imagine full Facebook integration will be that popular with XBoxs younger customers. 

• Upvote 1

Microsoft has so far been doing and saying all the right things. Announcing Facebook integration would be extremely stupid at this point, undoing all the goodwill they've built up at one fell swoop. Going from 'the TV TV TV console' to 'the Facebook console'. You'd hope they're smarter than that, Facebook is even less popular with the younger demographics than it is with us and the likes of the Giant Bomb audience. 

Hate Facebook with a passion, deleted my account years ago as it was too intrusive and I never used it. My wife uses it to nose on her freinds and the  neighbours.

God, please MS dont make this a thing.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

I was just wondering whether the mixer bit would just be changed back to what it was, I didn’t think the redirect they mentioned would also cover the integrated streaming options - have they said it will definitely be Facebook gaming on the dashboard?

They haven't. But I won't be day one until I knowthat it's free of Facebook.

• Upvote 1

I’m not surprised at this acquisition. I’ve played some of the Echo Arena beta on Oculus Quest and it’s really good - the idea of Ready At Dawn VR games with bigger budgets is potentially amazing.

9 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I didn’t even know Facebook Gaming was a thing, which is probably a bad sign. 

Probably shows your age. :blah:

I had no idea it was a thing either.

3 minutes ago, robotattack said:

Probably shows your age. :blah:

We're too young to be Facebook's target audience, you mean?

If this is because they are partnering with Occulus to do VR on the Xbox - great.

But I'm out if Xbox becomes a facebook shithole.

Facebook Gaming: for when the Twitch audience just weren’t quite racist and homophobic enough for you already.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

We're too young to be Facebook's target audience, you mean?

Ha. That's a good point. For a parent platform more favoured by Boomers, who is the audience for Facebook Gaming?

Looking through the streamers they seem to be predominantly East Asian.

There's this Filipino guy live at the moment that's represented by a cartoon character and his voice pitch-shifted so he sounds like one of the Chipmunks. He's got over one million followers. Who's watching that shit?

BTW The Order: 1886 is Sony's IP, so they could release a sequel. They probably won't though.

I just went to mixer to see if anyone was still streaming

image.thumb.png.dd80d097f9f86a43851bb481d4cc448b.png

I remember when the words "Facebook gaming" meant Mafia Wars, Draw Something, Farmville and any number of annoying "games" that polluted your feed. Can't quite figure out if that makes me too old to be the target audience for Facebook Gaming. 

There's a facebook gaming app that my mum sometimes plays games on. Maybe they mean that?

I used Mixer fairly regularly - seldom to stream, but mostly to watch. Less was more - I found it easier to follow people on Mixer who were there to game and chat and not be a celebrity. Maybe I was just clicking on the right streams, but I found Mixer less obnoxious overall. And I only got into it because it was integrated with the Xbox.

After the announcement was made, I signed onto Mixer to see some people deliberating on where to go next. There were quite a few streamers with a Mixer Partner status. You didn't need to be "famous" to get that, just have a regular output and regular viewership. It was rumoured that Facebook Gaming is going to offer all the partnered streamers $2,500 to sign onto FB Gaming for 6 months. But that could just be rumours.

• Upvote 3

haha.  Honestly.  After doing all the great work they've done to win gamers back if they did insist on a facebook login that would just leave a terrible taste in my mouth.  I get the social integration (the Switch posting screenshots to twitter with hashtags is noce) but Facebook is just the evil of evil corps.  

From polygon

By July 22, all Mixer sites and apps will redirect users to Facebook. In exchange, Microsoft’s Project xCloud game streaming platform will begin to appear on the social media giant in the near future.

I wonder if the gamble to get xcloud front and center of FB's users will work out to increase the subscription numbers.    I can't imagine people are going to jump ship because mixer disappears.  Hopefully we just see an option to post to facebook like we do currently on Xbox and PS4 and that's about it.

• Upvote 1

Sony weirdly removed all facebook integration a few months ago. 

I've just read that they are closing all their stores as well, with only New York, London, Sydney and Redmond remaining open and being re-imagined as "experience centres" and no longer selling products :blink:

So how long before they close as well. I wish I could waste money like they do.

I'm thinking the pandemic nixed the thin margins for stores, but Mixer always looked like an odd thing. That said, I liked that it had parental controls, and it definitely felt less toxic (not that I was on it much). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Hopefully we just see an option to post to facebook

Hopefully no option at all.

• Upvote 1

Haven't they already said it'll just be another platform you can use, like Twitch? 

Probably. But that doesn't mean we should encourage them :P

No facebook option > facebook option

Best outcome is they expose the API as normal, and Facebook Gaming, or whatever it is, is an app you download. 

Fingers crossed. 

• Upvote 1

That would be the best option for the user. Just an open platform for people to write streaming apps for. 

• Upvote 1