Need for Speed Hot Pursuit: Remastered

Revival

This hasn't aged very well and this remaster is extremely lazy. Is it even a remaster or just a port? The trademark Criterion rubberbanding was just about tolerable back then but is infuriating now and really should have been addressed for this version. So many races lost on the last bend or from a an unavoidable head-on collision, and I'd forgotten how many events are strictly rigid time trials with no collisions allowed. No fun at all when you have to replay them to unlock the next event. The handling isn't as great as I remember, it's weighty but unresponsive and just not as nuanced as a modern racer. The actual collisions and Burnout aspect of the game are unpredictable and just don't feel that satisfying. Constant boosting feels dated as does the mission structure. Skipping through pages of unlocks after every race was terrible back then and plagued the pace of the Burnout games, things like that really should have been tweaked. It's so of its time but not in a good way.

Overall I regret buying this even in the sale. Coming from Wreckfest, which I absolutely loved, this needed a lot more attention to its dated aspects to bring it up to date to compete with modern racers. A remaster should indicate that an older game has been retooled to make it worth playing against current games, not just a nostalgia trip. Simply bunging it onto the latest hardware is not enough. This just seems like a zero effort port to me. Massively disappointing.

Never played this before so guess how you feel about it depends on if you've played it before or not. Personally if I've played something before I don't buy it unless I really enjoyed it the first time and really feel the need to play it again.

Remastered= ported pretty much as is for new hardware. That's what I understand it as anyway. Sometimes the graphics are tweaked a bit and online is re-enabled etc.

Quite enjoying this when I play it for a but of chasing fun.

After 2 weeks of playing and struggling with this today it clicked. For anyone else who doesn't get along with this game, three words. 

Tiny. Stick. Movement.

Move the stick smoothly left and right as a proper analogue.  Hard steering means moving the stick to the edge. Use the drift and footbrake less that you think you should. Never handbrake.  

Top 3 racers ever.

Just grabbed this on the sale if anyone wants to add me to autolog 

EA ID - HP-SnoopZaka

Don't feel it looks a great deal better than the original version to be honest (maybe if I went back and played it again I'd realise!) but enjoying playing through it again. Hopefully they release a series X update at some stage 

Picked this up in the Xbox sale. 

Need to see if I can get my world records again. :)

It's cross play right? Will need to add some of you guys so I ha e some people on the auto log. 

• 3 weeks later...

Revelation of the day.  This game.  Oh, this game.

Stick your PSVR headset on and play it in cinema mode.  Suddenly the graphics have a whole new level of clarity. You can see every shortcut. The cars (with the tiny stick movement) handle better. It's so much more manageable on the Virtual big screen, transformative even.  And holy shit , what a game.  It's up there as one of the best racers ever, and I'm beating previous records just by playing on the VR headset.  I think the (still tiny) lag I get on my TV makes an impact and the lag free VR screens really make the cars handle perfectly.  

Best game of 2010.

On 07/12/2020 at 09:00, K said:

No, you should never use the handbrake to drift in this, unless you really need to scrub off a lot of speed (i.e. you're about to career into a spike strip or something). Tap the left trigger well in advance of the corner, and keep the right trigger held down throughout.

On 13/12/2020 at 16:01, dumpster said:

After 2 weeks of playing and struggling with this today it clicked. For anyone else who doesn't get along with this game, three words. 

Tiny. Stick. Movement.

Move the stick smoothly left and right as a proper analogue.  Hard steering means moving the stick to the edge. Use the drift and footbrake less that you think you should. Never handbrake.  

Top 3 racers ever.

That's really interesting because I tend to lean on the handbrake quite a lot, especially in the faster cars, and am posting some pretty decent times to Autolog. I never use the footbrake. There's literally no need for it. Get into your drift early by lightly Ridge Racer-ing on the left stick (a quick tap away from the corner then into it) from a distance and just ride it through. Or if you're too late it's a very very slight tap of A to slam into the corner and make sure you use your boost as soon as you straighten up to regain any speed you've lost. 

It's still a remarkable thing as far as I'm concerned, and really hasn't aged a day. It's my favourite driving model in a racing game and it just does not get old at all. Love it. 

Played a bit of this with X play with a mate on PS5. Still an amazingly fun game to play, I do not think anything comes close even to this day in terms of just plain fun. The spike traps are always suck a laugh to catch other players with. The only issue I had was it did not have voice coms, so I had to use my PS4 for that so we could chat. Luckily you do not need a subscription unlike the Xbox.

On 07/12/2020 at 09:50, Uncle Nasty said:

This hasn't aged very well and this remaster is extremely lazy. Is it even a remaster or just a port?

A remaster should indicate that an older game has been retooled to make it worth playing against current games, not just a nostalgia trip. Simply bunging it onto the latest hardware is not enough. This just seems like a zero effort port to me. Massively disappointing.

I strongly disagree with the sentiment that a remaster need a to be anything more than an enhanced port. 

There does is some graphical improvements to this at least - https://www.ea.com/games/need-for-speed/need-for-speed-hot-pursuit-remastered/media - but honestly higher resolutions/frame rate would be enough.

Various companies, especially Activision, have muddied the waters by calling full remakes “remasters”. To me, a remaster implies it’s fundamentally the same game with a fresh coat of paint. Of course, whether that holds up, and whether the game should have had a remake or an enhanced version instead, is another question entirely.

In other media, if you had bought a remastered version of an album or film and found they had done much more than rescanned the masters and changed the mix or had made major cuts then it would be rather controversial to say the least.

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

Revelation of the day.  This game.  Oh, this game.

Stick your PSVR headset on and play it in cinema mode.  Suddenly the graphics have a whole new level of clarity. You can see every shortcut. The cars (with the tiny stick movement) handle better. It's so much more manageable on the Virtual big screen, transformative even.  And holy shit , what a game.  It's up there as one of the best racers ever, and I'm beating previous records just by playing on the VR headset.  I think the (still tiny) lag I get on my TV makes an impact and the lag free VR screens really make the cars handle perfectly.  

Best game of 2010.

Sitting close to the screen definitely makes the game easier

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, djbhammer said:

4K 60 FPS now available on PS5 and Series X. Patch just released.

Fook! I never did get it to work on Series X using my existing profile (long story short, something about corrupted Cloud save data) so have been basically leaving my existing Xbox One X plugged into to play it. 

I may have to make the difficult decision to nuke all my data and, hopefully, that will solve the problem (although it didn't with Wreckfest, I think I'm just cursed with the Series X!). 

Wheres cheapest to pick it up. I thought i had bought it digitally for XSX but it seems not. 

Seems its on sale right now digitally but i think i would prefer physical. (or wait for it to come to EA access)

37 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

See above. I'd imagine it will get added by the Summer to EA Access. So depends how desperate you are to play it.

I will hang off. I have far too many games to play. And i already put about 150 hours into the original. 

14 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Is that just a PS4 patch or is there now a PS5 version?

Patch notes here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/NFS-Hot-Pursuit-Remastered/Need-for-Speed-Hot-Pursuit-Remastered-Patch-2/td-p/10086020

In terms of cheapest to buy, Argos now £29.99 but £18.99 365games. Curry’s is flagging up at £16.99 but the site keeps crashing so I can’t check.

38 minutes ago, djbhammer said:

Patch notes here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/NFS-Hot-Pursuit-Remastered/Need-for-Speed-Hot-Pursuit-Remastered-Patch-2/td-p/10086020

In terms of cheapest to buy, Argos now £29.99 but £18.99 365games. Curry’s is flagging up at £16.99 but the site keeps crashing so I can’t check.

Curry's shows 16.99 but when you click its 24 quid. 

So what's going on with the Series S ending up with One S games? There's absolutely no reason why the Series S shouldn't be locked at 1080p60, is this some incomplete dev stuff from Microsoft?

Also, poor show that the geometry issue that flawed the otherwise 60fps One X version plagues the Series X.

Lazy.

I don't instinctively feel like it explains why it can't do 60fps. I couldn't hear the audio, so perhaps they explained that it got the fancy visuals at 1080p. But it's weird that the PS4 Pro, frame unlocked, was doing an average of about 40 ish. I forget the resolution.

In what way does having 10gb of GDDR6 impact framerate versus 12gb of GDDR5?

Edit - PS4 Pro has 8gb GDDR5.