IGNORED

Foundation - Apple TV+

Timbuktu

Interested. But had to stop the trailer when the whoever started the righteous vomit about Apple’s  betterment of people’s lives through technology. This attitude as much as their walled garden forced me away from them in the first place and means I either won’t watch this or will or find a friend with it.

Could be good, wonder how long term they see this? Season one could be just the origin story, with subsequent seasons telling a crises each?

Is this going to be possible to watch without an apple device? And without visiting certain non-paying websites...

34 minutes ago, Danster said:

Could be good, wonder how long term they see this? Season one could be just the origin story, with subsequent seasons telling a crises each?

Is this going to be possible to watch without an apple device? And without visiting certain non-paying websites...

Apple TV is on most app stores.  You don't need an Apple device.  It's well worth grabbing a trial to watch For All Mankind, since that's excellent.

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

It looks really good. I know Goyer is a red flag for some, but he wrote Dark City, which is one of my favourite sci-fi movies.
Fingers crossed.

Yeah, I like Dark City too.  It's really hard to unpick the good / crap Goyer from the directors & co writers involved in his films.  Based on his TV series, I'm not very hopeful.

I've just picked up Foundation and Foundation and Empire again having read them on and off since my teenage years.  It's going to be... interesting how they translate it to the screen, because everything happens off-camera.  On the down side, this opens up the argument "it's nothing like the book!" but on the plus side, it gives enormous scope to expand the background and focus on - well, invent actually - the details.

I dunno, I like the guy from mad men as seldon. But it looks a bit generic and like they’ll squeeze pointless action into it. Also name checking Star Wars and talking about how Apple are improving the world makes it seem like he’s not just missed the point of Asimov’s work, but also that he’s a colossal idiot. 

I’ll give it a try, but expectations are Battle Angel low here.

• 1 year later...

Might as well keep this topic going rather than the main Apple TV+ one.

Reading the Ars Technica coverage, it looks like this may make some major changes and the "based on" is a major giveaway that it isn't going to be a particularly straight adaptation.  Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I read the books a long time ago, and loved them, but I was surprised to see this series announced as I had no idea how you could turn them into a TV show. I think this approach will probably be for the best.

• 1 month later...

I’m certainly prepared to give it a go just in case it turns out to be as good as Raised by Wolves, but that trailer sniffs a bit of underwhelming for me, just doesn’t really suggest anything of particular interest.

• 1 month later...

Watched the first two this morning. I’ve not read the books or even had a vague overview of the story and I enjoyed it. Didn’t take too long to get to know how the universe operates. Was worried for a moment that it could be heavy on impenetrable maths, but they worked around that. 

Spoiler

I knew Hari was for the chop when he went to fetch his special shirt :(

3 hours ago, TehStu said:

No maths at all in Foundation the book, if that helps. I'm only halfway through Foundation and Empire. Is this suitable for kids (swearing etc.)?

No sex or swearing and not much violence apart from

Spoiler

one bit where a city is destroyed and there's some deaths. It's fairly PG stuff. 

It's dull as fck though and if Lee Pace hadn't brought a bit of colour and camp I'd have probably bailed out. 

Enjoyed the first episode. It’s actually really, really fucking hard for me to just start watching something brand new that I know nothing about. My partner just wacked it on. And I get like an instant repulsion to watch new stuff (I think because I struggle with attention span).

Really kept my interest though. Enjoyed it. I’m a big Jared Harris fan though. 

5 hours ago, Flanders said:

Just watched the first episode of this and quite liked it but I fear the story is setting up for Jared Harris and Lee Pace to only be bit parts which is a problem because all the best scenes had one or both of them on screen.

Harris is Seldon, so yes he’d always be a bit part. I suppose it’s possible that they could flashback more to Trantor, but while being the “central” character around which the Foundation books revolve, he’s more a mythological figure who pops up every now and again.

I haven't read the books - so Ive come in totally cold to this story - and I've watched the first two episodes and have bloody loved it!  The casting worked well, the effects were top notch and the whole thing felt grounded and polished.

Lee Pace was great, even if he was just recycling his Ronan the Accuser character.

I am really looking forward to the next episodes.