IGNORED

Foundation - Apple TV+

Timbuktu

I persevered, but I also found it a bit dull. Huge budget, but hampered by the occasional cheap looking scene, or actor out of their league. I was also massively disappointed by Bear McCreary's soundtrack.

I'm going to stick with with, but it's a solid 'C+' for me at the moment.

17 hours ago, Sabreman said:

Do you mean outside of the actual ATV hardware? I believe there's an app for the usual devices.

Indeed. Used an app on my PS4 with my old TV, and an inbuilt app on my current LG TV.

Started watching. Biggest complaint with the first episode was the stunt casting of Reece “Silly Accent” Shearsmith, doing a ridiculously silly accent. What were the casting crew thinking?

2 hours ago, AlexM said:

I turned off about half way through the first episode, so dull. Does it improve?

I mean if you’re looking for action packed sci-fi this isn’t it. It’s a galaxy opera set over 1000 years. The source material is very ponderous and conversational. Saying that there is action in the second half of the first ep and I gather they’ve injected quite a bit into the first season to hold peoples attention who want a bit more excitement. 

I enjoyed episode one. Fairly straight forward setup and I like what they’ve done with it. 

I loved the imagery and the costumes and the Roman Empire feel to the baddies. 

This could be something pretty spectacular. First couple of episodes are certainly more of the ‘set up’ variety but there are some visually stunning parts. The budget must be astronomical. I’m definitely interested to see where it all goes. 

I watched a tiny sniff of this the other night, up to 

Spoiler

the bit where your man from Halt And Catch Fire gets that painter splatted

and the main things I noticed were -

The costumes are fantastic.

It looks stunning on a fancy telly in parts.

The jump ship was a ripoff of the mothership from Homeworld.

It’s pretty slow.

Yeah there was a definite Homeworld "homage" going on with the ship designs, which was fine by me.

I really enjoyed the first two episodes. It's been a long time since I read the books, so it's been fun having all those memories gradually pinged as familiar terms crop up. Trantor! Terminus! Stars End! :D

There's very little I remember about the books beyond names though, although from memory the show is spending a lot more time on the fall of the empire. It's cool to see it in all its grandeur, and it looks fantastic along with everything else in the show.

I read a few of these about 35-40 years ago and TBH i can recall pretty much nothing apart from there being massive time gaps between really important events. Or something along those lines.

Will check this out once I’m done with Servant and Liseys Story. 

Watched the 1st episode, as others have mentioned it's very much a mixed bag , the effects on certain items look  a bit shoddy  while some of the scenes, especially with Harris, are fantastic.Will watch the rest of the series but it's not essential  viewing  based off that opening.

I also read the entire series about 20 years ago, couldn't tell you much of what happened  apart from the beginning and the very end.

Finished the first episode.  Bloody hell, it's gorgeous to look at - you can see every cent of the millions that they've thrown at this.  Wasn't quite feeling it at the start but by the end, yep, I'm in.

They are definitely going for capturing the epic story if not the detail.  A good move, IMO, considering the books are not great as a source for a visual adaptation.

I enjoyed episode 2 a lot less than episode 1. 

Spoiler

The sudden romantic connection between the 2 leads was just so bizarre. Even if you assume months has gone by the suddenness of it happening with no foreshadowing was just jarring. Also I felt they were making her out to be basically a kid in the first ep so I found it weird that it suddenly got so sexual in tone. She HAD to have a hunky boyfriend and then starts talking about babies. This coupled with the ending where, despite the out of nowhere events, she freaks out and lets Romeo manhandle her through the ship and into an escape pod to just feel quite off. I would have liked her character to have shown a bit if backbone. But hey ho if thats the way they wanted to go. It just felt cheap, lazy and corny.  I liked the stuff on the planet with the emperors though. That part was a lot better. 

Gonna stick with it for sure but quite a mixed bag so far. 

Loved Episode 1. Not read the source material but I love the slow burn and the feel of a massive galactic empire. They’ve done well not to go too heavy on the exposition although some is inevitable for the TV. 

It looks amazing and the tech feels super solid. Im a sucker for mysterious, ponderous and large scale sci-fi so right up my alley. 

How do the books stack up these days?

8 minutes ago, El Geet said:

Loved Episode 1. Not read the source material but I love the slow burn and the feel of a massive galactic empire. They’ve done well not to go too heavy on the exposition although some is inevitable for the TV. 

It looks amazing and the tech feels super solid. Im a sucker for mysterious, ponderous and large scale sci-fi so right up my alley. 

How do the books stack up these days?

They're genuinely brilliant. I read them at some point before but I only really got into them a few years ago and they’re absolutely fantastic. 

Just watched episode 2 , opinion is the same , there's some great stuff in here mixed with not so great.Harris is again the standout  and turns what should be an eye roller of a speech into something heartfelt and affecting.Emperor can be fantastic one moment and a bit shit the next, he seems much more capable of the subtle than the bombast.

It feels like they're writing a "hook" for each episode  because they might not trust the overall giant hook  that civilization will collapse , hence certain things happening, would be nice if they trusted themselves and allowed it to play out but I'm on board for series after episode 1 anyway.

Love the design of the ships too,  pretty much all of them.

I watched the first episode today and enjoyed it. It had ‘impenetrable’ written all over it, which I found strangely alluring, but it was actually very accessible. Visually, it’s on another level; the money they must have spent, and it looks every penny. 

I fell asleep during episode 2 and woke up during episode 3, it was only when it got near the end I figured out what happened…this is some real molasses telly.

Strong Games Wokshop vibes going on here. Obviously, Asimov came first but interesting to see where they may have got some of their ideas from.

Slow TV I don't mind (Too Old to Die Young) but there were parts of this where they seemed to start in the middle and assume the viewer knew what was going on.

Only seen episode 1 so far but I think it's worth persevering with. Lee Pace has only been nice in Pushing Daisies. He's been a terrifying monster in everything else I've seen him in.