IGNORED

Foundation - Apple TV+

Timbuktu

6 hours ago, ZOK said:

I fell asleep during episode 2 and woke up during episode 3, it was only when it got near the end I figured out what happened…this is some real molasses telly.

There is no way an adaptation of The Foundation will be fast paced. Not yet. It'll start really slow, and then the Empire will fall..

2 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

I've not seen it! Should I hand in my membership card to those pen pushers at TV HQ now?

Yes! It’s flipping amazing. It used to be on Prime, not sure if they still have it.

The third episode is shockingly poor. The stuff about Empire was legitimately interesting but not threaded through the episode; it’s like they decided to do 15-20 minutes of one plot then 20-30 minutes of the other, and the other one just felt clunky and expositionary.

I have no idea what’s going on. All the time jumps feel unnecessary. I’m guessing the Warden, Salvor is it?, is

[speculation, no book spoilers please]

Spoiler

one of Gael’s zygotes, brought up by the bloke from the Wire. Hence the ‘Mum’ trying Seldon’s giant D&D dice on her.

Still no clue why Gael’s bloke knifed Seldon in the previous Ep, or why he then fired Gael into an asteroid belt in some kind of cryo pod (I guess she’ll be back at some point), or indeed what happened to him.

It’s all too obscure by far for its own good. As such, I went into this very excited, but I’m barely interested in next week’s Ep. I’ll keep watching for Lee Pace basically.

It's super slow and I can see why people don't like it, but I'm quite enjoying it. I guess I'm just a sucker for massive budget sci-fi, which we rarely get on television. It's not The Expanse which is a lot zippier (and better), but I'll take it. Between Dune and this I'm getting my slow sci-fi with lots of worldbuilding fix.

15 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

It's super slow and I can see why people don't like it, but I'm quite enjoying it. I guess I'm just a sucker for massive budget sci-fi, which we rarely get on television. It's not The Expanse which is a lot zippier (and better), but I'll take it. Between Dune and this I'm getting my slow sci-fi with lots of worldbuilding fix.

I don't mind the pace at all - it all looks so good and I understand there's a lot of story to introduce.  It's easy to forget that the Expanse was really pretty slow to start as well and didn't look anywhere near as gorgeous.

Have I missed something?

Spoiler

Are they going to address why Jared Harris was ganked, why his protege was fired off into space and what the repercussions of those acts were, for the killer and for the rest of the colony?

It seems like those were pretty important events, in my humble opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Popo said:

Have I missed something?

Hide contents

Are they going to address why Jared Harris was ganked, why his protege was fired off into space and what the repercussions of those acts were, for the killer and for the rest of the colony?

It seems like those were pretty important events, in my humble opinion. 

I'm guessing the answer is yes.

How many recent shows have we been through where the structure is such that answers to big questions are left hanging for a while? It's par for the course, but every time it happens people are so puzzled and impatient about it. Just let it play out.

I agree that the acting is by far the biggest problem with this. Harry Seldons' 30 second hologram blast from the past was an acting masterclass compared to the quality on show elsewhere.  The inconsistent, or rather uninspiring, directing not far behind at this point, but fundamentally, it's a flawed adaptation of the source material. It's just not doing anything interesting.

10 hours ago, hub2 said:

I agree that the acting is by far the biggest problem with this. Harry Seldons' 30 second hologram blast from the past was an acting masterclass compared to the quality on show elsewhere.  The inconsistent, or rather uninspiring, directing not far behind at this point, but fundamentally, it's a flawed adaptation of the source material. It's just not doing anything interesting.

I do really like the empire parts, Lee Pace and Laura Birn are great and the concepts are interesting.  Perhaps it would have been a better for a show to just be focused from the empire perspectives. It would be a clearer departure from the books, just based on the universe rather than an adaptation, without that expectations and perhaps a smaller budget.  A a sci fi i, Claudius but with the fall of empire could be decent and a show built around Lee Pace could have pulled it off.

they have made more errors on the foundations side of things, but  it’s not impossible for it to better.  The Expanse took a while to get going too.  Hopefully they realise where the show’s strengths are.  

I rather liked that episode, after the rather slow and pointless start. It feels like everything is starting to come together, and it still looks amazing too.

I stumbled across my books while hunting through my parents' attic today, and was tempted to read them all again. :D

It's inspired me to re-read the books, which I haven't read in about 25 years. Turns out all the stuff I don't really remember is because it's not in the books! Or at least, not in the first half of Foundation, which has already moved past events in the series.

But also, I'm really enjoying the series as its own thing. I did take three attempts to get through the first episode as I kept falling asleep, but I'm fully on board now and was disappointed when the last episode finished.

11 hours ago, Captain Novaforce said:

Up to episode 5 now. There are bits that I like and it's gorgeous to look at.

Hide contents

I think Sheldon asked his son to kill him for whatever reason. 

Definitely to your spoiler.

Book info:

Spoiler

In the books, it's important to the Seldon plan that there's no psychohistorians on Terminus. It seemed weird to me that he even went with them, and I'm pretty sure that he had Raesh kill him and get rid of Gael for that reason. 

I’m really enjoying this but I think the fractured timelines/story-thread approach was probably meant to invoke a ‘rich tapestry of interlinking stories’ but just comes off as a bit disjointed instead. 

Terminus does have a faint whiff of one of those ‘base under siege’ storylines that Doctor Who has done a million times though. 

But they’ve got a good line in cliffhangers at the moment which always keep me wanting the next ep to arrive at least.