rllmuk
skittles

At 33yrs old I have joined the PC master race.

18 minutes ago, Uzi said:

@skittles

what res is your monitor?

Also get Control to enjoy some DLSS 2.0 and RTX on your new PC. It's good shit

In English sir! What do you mean?

2560*1080. I can upgrade it if I need to.

This one https://prismplus.sg/collections/gaming-monitors/products/prism-x290

8 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Agree 110%. Why people still use this is beyond me. Never really heard it until some consoles got released a while back.

PC is the most flexible gaming device you can buy.

Recently got some mods for Assetto Corsa that allowed me to drive around a now non existent Brooklands race circuit in a 1930s Auto Union race car. With VR and wheel. Just awesome. You want an experience your way there is always something out there that will get you it.

To be honest I heard it from the edge forums and remembered it just now and thought it was humerous so I used it. Apologies if I offended. Lol.

Will reply to some of the other excellent posts tomorrow.

27 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

[...] especially as I set them as the colours of his favourite Rugby League team.

There's something super lovely about this.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Thwomp said:

I used to find the RGB lighting tacky, but the older I get the more I like it. As many lights as possible now. 

Thwomp's PC, earlier:

96UMTA5.jpg

• Upvote 5

@skittles looks like your monitor most likely supports Freesync - which Nvidia also support with 10 / 16 / 20 series cards, they just call it G-Sync. Anyhoo, make sure you have it turned on to enjoy peak smoothness.

Good time to dip in, what with the Steam sale having just started!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Liamness said:

@skittles looks like your monitor most likely supports Freesync - which Nvidia also support with 10 / 16 / 20 series cards, they just call it G-Sync. Anyhoo, make sure you have it turned on to enjoy peak smoothness.

Good time to dip in, what with the Steam sale having just started!

Nice. I need to turn this on in the monitor settings and the also somewhere in the PC settings I assume. 

re: master race stuff, IIRC it started out as a mocking term for elitist PC fanboys, who then reappropriated it and now wear it as a badge of honour. I'll admit I'm a bit uncomfortable with that, even if it is intended to be tongue in cheek. As with a lot of internet subcultures, you can never really be sure who is being ironic and who isn't. I'd be happier if the /r/pcmasterrace subreddit was renamed to /r/pcgamingcirclejerk or something like that, because that's basically what it is (and it's not as if anyone is trying to pretend otherwise).

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Recently got some mods for Assetto Corsa that allowed me to drive around a now non existent Brooklands race circuit in a 1930s Auto Union race car. With VR and wheel. Just awesome. You want an experience your way there is always something out there that will get you it.

Absolutely.

Like @skittles, me and a few of the boys who were on X-Box 360 at the time moved over to PC around the end of the cycle, and it's been an embarrassment of riches ever since.

I mean, playing Borderlands 2 with everything at full whack on a HD6850 while having a rock-solid framerate was nice, but it turned out that it was just everything else that kept us on the platform.

- Playing fledgling free-to-play titles at the time like... League of Legends. Seriously. It was a reasonably big game at the time, but Riot was nowhere near the e-sports monolith it is now. It was vying for our time in between Monday Night Combat and Tribes Ascend at the time.
- Private servers for Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst
- Sticking my own physical copy of Persona 4 on the PS2 into my PC, and enjoying the best damn JRPG in recent memory with crispy upscaling and Widescreen modifications
- You didn't mind taking a punt on digital games because jesus christ why am I getting 10 games for like £30
- Using a 360 controller for most things, and then when somebody has the bright idea of playing something like Jamestown, you bang in your arcade stick and hold the fuck on I can make this work

And Borderlands 2? Me and a friend played it again, around about the end of last year. Except we also bunged on a mod called Fight For Your Life, which rebalances every single aspect of the game and all the expansions to make it harder, but also infinitely more rewarding in the process.

It's not worth shying away from the fact that some of the stuff is hard work and requires a bit of research, but as you put it - There's probably something that's right up your street wherever you turn when it comes to PC Gaming. It's proper good.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, skittles said:

To be honest I heard it from the edge forums and remembered it just now and thought it was humerous so I used it. Apologies if I offended. Lol.

28 minutes ago, skittles said:

17 minutes ago, Liamness said:

re: master race stuff, IIRC it started out as a mocking term for elitist PC fanboys, who then reappropriated it and now wear it as a badge of honour. I'll admit I'm a bit uncomfortable with that, even if it is intended to be tongue in cheek. As with a lot of internet subcultures, you can never really be sure who is being ironic and who isn't. I'd be happier if the /r/pcmasterrace subreddit was renamed to /r/pcgamingcirclejerk or something like that, because that's basically what it is (and it's not as if anyone is trying to pretend otherwise).

It originated in Zero Punctuation's video on The Witcher (1:00 in):

My pc doesn't have LEDs or case fans. It's still quiet, cool and faster than a OneX. Mid-tier components ftw!

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Liamness said:

pcgamingcirclejerk

Dammit, too late now gotta wait a year.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, skittles said:

Interesting monitor that although I'd recommend a standard 1440p 144hz one instead. The jump from 1080p to 1440p is substantial. What will you be playing that will benefit the extra screen size at each side?

Im already over 40 and decided that I have enough with my PS4.
Then I found myself ordering components... 

then this happened yesterday...

IMG-20200626-233811.jpg

• Upvote 8

Since I returned to the 'Master Race' a few years ago I find it really frustrating to go back to my Xbox and play shooters on a joypad. The inaccuracy of the sticks drives me mad. I may be hopelessly inept at Apex Legends on PC but I can actually aim accurately on that format.

To those that made the change: I've owned gaming computers and am fully aware of all the advantages. However, how did you manage to move from comfortable couch gaming to sitting at a desk in a way that is remotely acceptable? I certainly won't purchase one of those bulky gaming Recaro chairs. 

8 minutes ago, alex3d said:

To those that made the change: I've owned gaming computers and am fully aware of all the advantages. However, how did you manage to move from comfortable couch gaming to sitting at a desk in a way that is remotely acceptable? I certainly won't purchase one of those bulky gaming Recaro chairs. 

Well what I did was use a HDMI cable to a TV and a xbox one controller and I'm still not gaming at a desk. The same way you can hook up a PS4 to a monitor and use it at a desk - not sure why people have this outdated mentality that you can't use a PC without a desk. I use this to browse or for non gaming tasks

ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n1_0?cv_ct_cx=l

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Windows-Android/dp/B00XJ3LVPI/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n1_0?cv_ct_cx=logitech+k400&dchild=1&keywords=logitech+k400&pd_rd_i=B00XJ3LVPI&pd_rd_r=0f04ac50-cb7a-449f-8d4d-f692899fc71a&pd_rd_w=6r2Ni&pd_rd_wg=hFStx&pf_rd_p=e3a968a9-db34-4cb6-962f-ddcde7323cf7&pf_rd_r=34AKRQSK89KE0QVZKPXG&psc=1&qid=1593271898&sr=1-1-91e9aa57-911e-4628-99b3-09163b7d9294

ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n1_0?cv_ct_cx=l

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Uzi said:

Well what I did was use a HDMI cable to a TV and a xbox one controller and I'm still not gaming at a desk 

Booting directly into Steam upon Windows starting? I did that in the past, it was okay. On many occasions you do need to use mouse and keyboard though. 

Just now, alex3d said:

Booting directly into Steam upon Windows starting? I did that in the past, it was okay. On many occasions you do need to use mouse and keyboard though. 

Nah - just normal windows - the wireless keyboard with mousepad does everything you need 

8 minutes ago, alex3d said:

You need to spend some money on a decent office chair. I got a second hand HumanScale Liberty chair from this site, but there's been a couple of threads recently in AtF where people have recommended other things. My chair reclines and has a headrest, but if you're going to be playing for longer periods then I find being sat up properly, with proper lumbar support, wrists at the correct height, feet flat on the floor, and so on, is more comfortable in the long run. You want something that's pretty customisable and well-cushioned.

Like Uzi, however, I also have a long HDMI cable running around to the TV that has my comfy arm chair in front of it, for when I'm playing a game using the controller.

I've got a 600 quid, fully adjustable Steelcase chair at home, but I still fail to see how it would be more or even equally comfortable compared to couch gaming. 

The wireless keyboard might be the best solution, yes. 

14 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

You need to spend some money on a decent office chair. I got a second hand HumanScale Liberty chair from this site, but there's been a couple of threads recently in AtF where people have recommended other things. My chair reclines and has a headrest, but if you're going to be playing for longer periods then I find being sat up properly, with proper lumbar support, wrists at the correct height, feet flat on the floor, and so on, is more comfortable in the long run. You want something that's pretty customisable and well-cushioned.

Like Uzi, however, I also have a long HDMI cable running around to the TV that has my comfy arm chair in front of it, for when I'm playing a game using the controller.

indeed I went from a pc couch setup to a desk and gaming chair setup which provides better lumbar support and I think my back will thank me for it in the long run.  Gone are my youthful days we’re I can sit slouched on the sofa as I’m used to leaning forwards when playing. The gaming chair can recline if I want a more laid back experience.

34 minutes ago, alex3d said:

There is no need to sit at a desk, you can lie on the cough using a computer just like you do when gaming on a console. 

I've said in a couple of threads, we were given a PC built from my partner's brothers cast-offs, its obviously not top of the range but is currently playing anything I throw at it at a standard I'm more than happy to accept, and due to the sheer size of the case its probably the first PC we've had where we can just upgrade it when we want to.

It's only running a Ryzen 3, with a GeForce GTX 970 and 16mb Ram, which seems to run most of the games that I own that I could also own on my consoles (Alien Isolation, Session, SkaterXL, Jurassic World Evolution)

Actually as I get older instead of comfy couch what I want is the opposite. I want to be fully aware and honor the time and energy I put into gaming. An upright chair seems more suitable for that.

Even things like meditation are recommended to practiced in upright position because it improves focus and awareness, which is required for proper gaming.

I can play my PC sat at the desk or in front of the TV on the couch using Steam Link. Much prefer sat in my comfy big chair at the desk especially with driving games.

Usually end up playing the Switch for the odd hour or so on the couch though.

Great to have options like Steam Link on the PC though found it works well enough when needed!

9 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

This is not the defence you might think it is.

free_shrug.thumb.jpg.08651f60130e079b1b04ec9b31a46304.jpg

5 hours ago, MattyP said:

I can play my PC sat at the desk or in front of the TV on the couch using Steam Link. Much prefer sat in my comfy big chair at the desk especially with driving games.

Usually end up playing the Switch for the odd hour or so on the couch though.

Great to have options like Steam Link on the PC though found it works well enough when needed!

It's quite nice that Samsung TVs have a Steamlink app.   I also like to stream from my desktop to a laptop and play from the sofa/kitchen table.  Nicer than being cooped up in the study.  I use Moonlight for that, as it seems to have better image quality than steam streaming.

• Upvote 1

I've had a PC alongside the consoles going back to the late PS1 era. I just hate to miss out on a game that's getting great reviews whatever the system. Wasn't able to play any games for a fair while so have gone all in on the shit of late. Kinda miss turning my X on these days, no sarcasm.

I have this along with the consoles plugged into both a 65" TV and a 27" 1440p 144hz monitor in the living room. Only play PC on the couch. I am a bit of crazy misanthrope of late so I have the living room etc set up as a bit of a gamer den. My choice. Feels good.

Couldn't tell you what colours if any the thing is pumping out atm as that side is close to a wall, think it's red still tbh, this pic was taken as I was testing that my build powered on, since put some Noctua fans in the front. Temps and noise are fantastic, even with a healthy CPU, GPU and RAM overclock.

I actually have a completely different 2080TI to the one below now, the reason being is I thought I'd save some cash and go for an Amazon warehouse deal, turns out the card below was in fact a 2080 that some twunt had carefully swapped the back plate sticker with an actual a 2080TI sticker and returned it in the 2080TI box. Amazon didn't do a thorough check and passed it on to me. The both cards are identical bar the sticker and the fact the 2080 uses a 6+8 power plug vs an 8+8 on the TI, that's how I twigged, plus Windows telling me I only had 8GB of Vram.

No problems with the refund thankfully and I simply bought a brand new Zotac 2080TI. Has LEDs on the shroud but I've no pictures and can't see it when gaming. I'll be going with an 3080TI so I'm good for comfortably getting the best from multi format games next gen, think I'll be good with my i9 9900k for several years mind.

Don't get the PC master race stuff though. It's just a joke/bit of tongue in cheek right?

EDIT* Found a picture with the actual 2080TI I have in it now.

20190708_002427.jpg

I too drifted across to PC over the last 12 months.  Mainly because theres a lot of console games coming out now on PC.  - i mean i'm playing Trials Of Mana  at the moment - something that wouldnt have happened about 2-3 years back.  The void has closed!

I have an i7 9th Gen  with 32gb ram  and purely on saving money I went for a Radeon 8gb card - which is a major sin Nvidia fans i know  :) 

anyway its lovely and will allow me to hold off getting a console for a couple of years or so 

and online play is free of charge!      ( and secretly i can't wait to see if it can indeed run some new cross platform PS5/Xbox series X  stuff )