Jump to content
rllmuk
skittles

At 33yrs old I have joined the PC master race.

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, JoeK said:

I have an all black case (it's a little like the monolith in 2001 Space Odyssey)


Pics and link please, as every other PC case in this thread is a garish eyesore.

 

I’m tempted to finally go PC instead of XSX, but it would need to be no bigger than the XSX box, at least as powerful, absolutely as quiet, and as easy on the eye (a boring black slab or box if you will).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: comfort when playing PC stuff, I swear by an obnoxiously cheap, no-brand HTPC air mouse which covers any keyboard and mouse stuff like Windows UAC prompts and pre-program launchers that stops games being completely plug-and-play.

 

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the best thing for comfort is to change your posture constantly, so I constantly switch between an Ultrawide monitor and a much larger LED TV, by falling off my office chair onto my bed time to time :P

 

As for something the size of a Series X, something housed an a Dan A4 or similar would probably work. When the case itself costs £150 by itself, mind, that's when you've got to start asking if it's the right time to buy when the next gen consoles will push pc component downcosting six months after that point, which would allow being able to buy typically 'premium' lines like mini-itx components, cases and whisper quiet coolers.

 

Spoiler

Unless they're charging £1500 for a Series X, It's not the right time to buy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jonamok said:


Pics and link please, as every other PC case in this thread is a garish eyesore.

 

I’m tempted to finally go PC instead of XSX, but it would need to be no bigger than the XSX box, at least as powerful, absolutely as quiet, and as easy on the eye (a boring black slab or box if you will).


Fractal Define R6 (the version without the glass side).


It’s just a great, solid case really. And very easy to install things into it.

 

 

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May join the elite genus with a pristine genome, waiting to see what Nvidia produce in their next gen-killing 3000 series cards this year, that will probably release before the next gen consoles. Imagine the code crunching on an RTX3090. God tier mathematics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I use my switch controller on my PC for those games that are more casual and suited to controllers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, vezna said:

Since I returned to the 'Master Race' a few years ago I find it really frustrating to go back to my Xbox and play shooters on a joypad. The inaccuracy of the sticks drives me mad. I may be hopelessly inept at Apex Legends on PC but I can actually aim accurately on that format.

Pretty sure this is because kids learn to use the dual analogue stick setup so early these days , when their brains are like sponges, whereas for us oldies we didn't come across it until our teens or later. Hence they are ridiculously precise at using them. 

My 9 year old nephew absolutely runs rings around me in Fortnite or Apex. He's basically scouted the whole map and is sitting somewhere comfortable sniping away like a cunt, while I'm still scrabbling around the area I spawn looking for a weapon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, vezna said:

Since I returned to the 'Master Race' a few years ago I find it really frustrating to go back to my Xbox and play shooters on a joypad. The inaccuracy of the sticks drives me mad. I may be hopelessly inept at Apex Legends on PC but I can actually aim accurately on that format.

 

Whereas I play all shooters on PC with a pad :D

 

13 hours ago, monkeydog said:

 

It's quite nice that Samsung TVs have a Steamlink app.   I also like to stream from my desktop to a laptop and play from the sofa/kitchen table.  Nicer than being cooped up in the study.  I use Moonlight for that, as it seems to have better image quality than steam streaming.

 

How do you connect a pad to the TV? Bluetooth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeK said:


Fractal Define R6 (the version without the glass side).


It’s just a great, solid case really. And very easy to install things into it.

 

 

Love the Fractal design cases. Well built, designed and love the simplicity of the way they look. Minimalist.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, skittles said:

Can I use my switch controller on my PC for those games that are more casual and suited to controllers?

 

Probably - it depends on the pad itself and how you connect it (usually via Bluetooth, so you'll need a dongle if there's no support built into the motherboard - you should be able to plug it in with a USB cable too), but pro controllers are supported by steam directly as part of their controller support gubbins.

 

Joycons are a bit more tricky, but it can be done by downloading a custom bit of software (like Wiinupro or JoyconDriver).

 

Of course, if it's a third party controller like an 8bitdo, you'll probably find it has a means of just connecting and acting like an Xbox (xinput) pad anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skittles said:

Can I use my switch controller on my PC for those games that are more casual and suited to controllers?

 

I think Switch Pro controllers are but not too sure about the joycons

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Dudley said:

How do you connect a pad to the TV? Bluetooth?

 

3m usb cable. It might have Bluetooth but haven't been bothered to set it up that way (and my Xbox controller's Bluetooth is paired to my phone).  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While it might go against the grain slightly, don't spend your time hunting for cheap games, if you can afford a PC like this, chances are you can afford to buy the games you want to play, when you want to play them. My pile of shame is nothing like a lot of peoples and even then it's a depressing, and completely pointless, sight. I get why people do it, and I did it when I first got steam 10+ years ago, but a significant number of games still sit there unplayed or underplayed) You'll always end up with games you won't play regardless of the platform, but PC's do bring out the worst in digital hoarding.

 

Not to be too negative though, and while my PC doesn't get a lot of use these days, it's a brilliant platform. The choice you have available to you (including emulation) is a beautiful thing.  Throw in a steam link (or Shield TV), great choice of control methods and the variety of mods and you'll never get bored.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, phresh said:

.

 

Not to be too negative though, and while my PC doesn't get a lot of use these days, it's a brilliant platform. The choice you have available to you (including emulation) is a beautiful thing.  Throw in a steam link (or Shield TV), great choice of control methods and the variety of mods and you'll never get bored.

What would the shield TV and steam link be used for sir?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, monkeydog said:

 

3m usb cable. It might have Bluetooth but haven't been bothered to set it up that way (and my Xbox controller's Bluetooth is paired to my phone).  

 

I'll have to check if my Samsung has a USB, it's one of those with the breakout box so I'd hope so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, skittles said:

What would the shield TV and steam link be used for sir?

That'd be to stream from your PC to TV. Note that it's quite bandwidth heavy, so it helps to have something like homeplugs to network. The Tenda ones I have do a good job and are usually cheaper than Belkin etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is great timing.

My daughter has been hassling me for a new pc as she has started getting into games and her laptop doesn’t cut it. 

She prefers playing indie games so it seems silly for her to waste the 700 quid she has saved on something high end.

my old pc is due an upgrade so I was thinking of buying a new system myself and giving her my old one.

I value 60fps over everything so what sort of money will I need to spend in order to get a system that will be future proofed for a few years?

I can’t build for toffee so would probably need an all in one prebuilt system.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, strider said:

This thread is great timing.

My daughter has been hassling me for a new pc as she has started getting into games and her laptop doesn’t cut it. 

She prefers playing indie games so it seems silly for her to waste the 700 quid she has saved on something high end.

my old pc is due an upgrade so I was thinking of buying a new system myself and giving her my old one.

I value 60fps over everything so what sort of money will I need to spend in order to get a system that will be future proofed for a few years?

I can’t build for toffee so would probably need an all in one prebuilt system.

 

 

I had a Dell Optiplex and modified it a bit (graphics card): https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/314538-is-it-time-to-ditch-the-consoles/page/2/&tab=comments#comment-12553228

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, strider said:

This thread is great timing.

My daughter has been hassling me for a new pc as she has started getting into games and her laptop doesn’t cut it. 

She prefers playing indie games so it seems silly for her to waste the 700 quid she has saved on something high end.

my old pc is due an upgrade so I was thinking of buying a new system myself and giving her my old one.

I value 60fps over everything so what sort of money will I need to spend in order to get a system that will be future proofed for a few years?

I can’t build for toffee so would probably need an all in one prebuilt system.

 

 

You don't have to go crazy.  But you are saying  " Future Proof "   which doesn't really exist unfortunately. 

Thankfully a lot of the best PC games are indie games that actually don't need much spec. 

 

If you are going Intel processors   an i7  8th or 9th  Gen  is good value.  And of course 10th Gen has just come out.  Even an i5 is plenty.

AMD Ryzen wise -  Anything from a Ryzen 7 upwards i suppose?   I don't follow Ryzens so much.

 

Motherboards are a muchness.  As long as its a gaming one that takes up to 32gb DDR4  jobs a good un.

 

Then of course Graphics wise, just get a newest as you can Nvidia card.   ( I've got a Radeon but thats the cheapskates route  haha )

Overall  I would say around 800-900 quid. ( for your " Future Proof "  wish )  But you'd have to go part picking to save money.

 

Otherwise?  700 quid is plenty!! of cash to make something that can play stuff decent.  Have a look on youtube how well old processors such as a Pentium Gold can handle games with a decent graphics card.  ( and a Pentium Gold processor is about 45 quid! )  - not that i am telling you to buy that processor of course.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ew, reclaimed or not. Master race is language used in Nazi ideology and what it ultimately symbolises is horrific as F. So edgy lads. Title change?

  • Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

 

You don't have to go crazy.  But you are saying  " Future Proof "   which doesn't really exist unfortunately. 

Thankfully a lot of the best PC games are indie games that actually don't need much spec. 

 

If you are going Intel processors   an i7  8th or 9th  Gen  is good value.  And of course 10th Gen has just come out.  Even an i5 is plenty.

AMD Ryzen wise -  Anything from a Ryzen 7 upwards i suppose?   I don't follow Ryzens so much.

 

Motherboards are a muchness.  As long as its a gaming one that takes up to 32gb DDR4  jobs a good un.

 

Then of course Graphics wise, just get a newest as you can Nvidia card.   ( I've got a Radeon but thats the cheapskates route  haha )

Overall  I would say around 800-900 quid. ( for your " Future Proof "  wish )  But you'd have to go part picking to save money.

 

Otherwise?  700 quid is plenty!! of cash to make something that can play stuff decent.  Have a look on youtube how well old processors such as a Pentium Gold can handle games with a decent graphics card.  ( and a Pentium Gold processor is about 45 quid! )  - not that i am telling you to buy that processor of course.

 

 

 

 

I want to get Occulus in order to play Half-Life Alyx and I'd need to potentially have something high end for review purposes. I'd also want to take advantage of games pass on PC for Xbox games and the PS4 games you can play on PC. Will probably need a new monitor as well. I'd rather invest and get something that will play at ultra settings and 60fps for a good while. I do realise that PC gaming does move forward pretty fast, but I was quite happy keeping a high frame rate and just dropping down from Ultra etc as the years rolled by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if you want to throw a lot at it -  add 300 pounds to that 700!  and maybe as much as 400

 

Next question -  Build yourselves or pre bulit  i suppose

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Well if you want to throw a lot at it -  add 300 pounds to that 700!  and maybe as much as 400

 

Next question -  Build yourselves or pre bulit  i suppose

I can't build things like this to save my life and due to lockdown etc I wouldn't want to impose on my friend who normally puts stuff together so I'm guessing Prebuilt makes more sense for me. Appreciate that's going to cost more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, strider said:

can’t build for toffee so would probably need an all in one prebuilt syste

If I can build a PC anyone can, it really is a piece of piss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm about to buy a PC and build it myself. It isn't that hard at all and there are loads of good vids on YouTube.

 

You could even get a bundle deal where they preinstall the CPU,cooler and/or RAM for you.

 

A few people on here recommend AWD-IT for that sort of thing. Prices seem decent.

 

I'm struggling between which GPU (2070 Vs 5700xt) and what case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pungee said:

I just built a PC in an NZXT H1 case and I couldn't be happier with it. 

spacer.png

It's perfect for anyone new to building PCs as it comes with a power supply and cooler pre-installed, and also has all the cables pre-routed. It's a super easy build despite being a very small compact case. 

Mmm, I really fancy your PC. Is that weird?

 

Please tell me more about it! What components is it hiding? Is it quiet under pressure? I might get one.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, strider said:

This thread is great timing.

My daughter has been hassling me for a new pc as she has started getting into games and her laptop doesn’t cut it. 

She prefers playing indie games so it seems silly for her to waste the 700 quid she has saved on something high end.

my old pc is due an upgrade so I was thinking of buying a new system myself and giving her my old one.

I value 60fps over everything so what sort of money will I need to spend in order to get a system that will be future proofed for a few years?

I can’t build for toffee so would probably need an all in one prebuilt system.

 

 

Overclockers have a prebuild called an Enigma Essential. I've tweaked it a bit but it comes in at £781.97 without Windows 10 but for them to build it for you.

 

Ryzen 3600 CPU

B450 motherboard

Nvidia GTX 1660 Super

16gb Ram

500gb SSD

1TB HD

 

That would more than do the job right now although I would also get them to upgrade the PSU. I'd then look at maybe getting a 2nd hand RTX 2070 or 2080 when the the new Nvidia cards hit and the market is flooded with people looking to shift their previous cards on. You could probably get a similar build cheaper elsewhere but it's who I've used before.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See that goes back to my point on CPU  you can spec down on CPU as long as you beef up the GPU  - Well, duh!  - but you know what i mean guys.

 

Might be tempted to bump Veznas one up to a Ryzen 5  though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.