At 33yrs old I have joined the PC master race.

26 minutes ago, Thor said:

Good question! Can I play all my games on my other services through the Steam client? I presently have Arkham Knight on the go, and to play that I have to go via the Epic store. 

Not sure but maybe if you set the Epic game as a non-steam game shortcut in Steam and launch in BPM the DS4 may just work.  I could be talking rubbish.

11 hours ago, Mogster said:

I've been trying games on my new PC too, using my 980Ti for now. My old PC was fairly capable, even with its old 3570K, but it's amazing to see how much of a difference a new CPU makes after all these years, not to mention the SSDs. 

I was pleasantly surprised to find that No Man's Sky syncs your save from the Xbox One version, as it's not listed as a Play Anywhere game. It also ran really smoothly at 1440p60 with some rather nice looking HDR, and the initial load was a lot faster than it was on the Xbox.

Then I tried Destiny 2, which was an absolute revelation. The current gen console versions look good and run well, but the loading times are abominable. Not on an NVME SSD though! It also runs like butter at 1440p with max settings, so I can't wait to crank that up to 4K with a 3080.

I was impressed to find that the Xbox One pad's headset passthrough works on PC too, although not over Bluetooth it seems. I switched to my old Xbox controller adapter instead though,  which works a treat.

I know we’ve basically bought the same spec. Coming from a PS4 the biggest revelation is how quick everything loads. Been playing Ori and Spiritfarer this evening. Both of them load in under ten seconds, a lot less. It’s genuinely astonishing

33 minutes ago, simms said:

Not sure but maybe if you set the Epic game as a non-steam game shortcut in Steam and launch in BPM the DS4 may just work.  I could be talking rubbish.

You're not, I just tried that. It was a bit of a faff to get steam to recognise the game, I had to download a program called Steam Grid DB manager, and import it to steam from there, but once done it worked, don't even need big picture mode ... but there are downsides: The game now uses the Xbox button logos instead of the PS4 even though steam recognises the PS4 controller and I only have the PS4 Support box ticked (unticking this stops the pad from working). Also it takes longer to load up the game.

It's quicker to run DS4 windows and run the game from the Epic shortcut, and I have the added bonus of PS4 buttons in-game. :)

Still, it's good to know there are other options if need be. :hat:

16 hours ago, MattyP said:

Or if you have a newer XBO controller just Bluetooth....

The Bluetooth on the Xbox One pad can have some serious performance issues as @Thor mentioned on the last page. This seems to be on a game by game basis and most likely depends on the BT hardware in your PC not jiving with the hardware in the pad. I had the issue with the Intel (if I'm remembering correctly) chip set in my Alienware laptop. Made certain games utterly unplayable after a minute or two in the game.

Like I say this isn't going to effect everyone and I couldn't say how prevalent it actually is but it does seem to be a problem with certain configs of BT hardware. My desktop BT hardware is fine with the connection between it and the pad. I still bought a couple of Xbox One PC dongles for both machines mind.

Xbox One pad and a dongle is perfect. Totally solves any problem some may have. Saying that, I looked into this a good 12-18 months ago now and perhaps a fix has been pushed out to the affected radios?

2 hours ago, amc said:

The Bluetooth on the Xbox One pad can have some serious performance issues as @Thor mentioned on the last page. This seems to be on a game by game basis and most likely depends on the BT hardware in your PC not jiving with the hardware in the pad. I had the issue with the Intel (if I'm remembering correctly) chip set in my Alienware laptop. Made certain games utterly unplayable after a minute or two in the game.

Like I say this isn't going to effect everyone and I couldn't say how prevalent it actually is but it does seem to be a problem with certain configs of BT hardware. My desktop BT hardware is fine with the connection between it and the pad. I still bought a couple of Xbox One PC dongles for both machines mind.

Xbox One pad and a dongle is perfect. Totally solves any problem some may have. Saying that, I looked into this a good 12-18 months ago now and perhaps a fix has been pushed out to the affected radios?

Not sure just bought a cheap BT 4.0 dongle from Amazon and had no issues (it's plugged into the back of an old Mac keyboard). Runs my magic mouse and my XBox gamepad.

Had issues with an old BT adapter though.... Probably BT 2.0 or something. It was ancient. The pad wouldn't even connect without a PIN code and just didn't work with it. Just make sure your have at least BT4.0 implementation on your BT dongle and all should be good. Hopefully. Nothing like "standards"! :D 

19 hours ago, spanx said:

I know we’ve basically bought the same spec. Coming from a PS4 the biggest revelation is how quick everything loads. Been playing Ori and Spiritfarer this evening. Both of them load in under ten seconds, a lot less. It’s genuinely astonishing

Yeah, and this is why the PC people took notice of the next gen machines, they're use SSDs faster than most of our PCs.

@ MattyP Don't think it's to do with the Bluetooth version, 4, 5, lower etc. My laptop has a supposedly fairly decent and certainly modern 4.xx radio but it had issues. It only had a problem with Bluetooth Xbox One pads, fine for all other uses.There was no fix at the time. Only option was to buy the MS USB pad dongle.

Maybe certain hardware that's in a lot of machines but with a different hardware vendor name, not sure but think most Bluetooth radios are manufactured by intel and qualcomm etc but let others use and re brand to their own name? Maybe a driver issue that's been sorted but it had been going on for a couple of years when I had a problem with it in 2018/19. Lots of reports of people with the issue but obviously lots of people who had no problem too. Obviously down to certain hardware or said hardware's stack.

I'll do a bit of digging and see if they've fixed it with recent drivers and report back in this post later. Be nice if they have, I'll be able to flog these two MS USB dongles.

I bought a BT 5 adaptor and the performance with the Switch Pro controller is ace. However I need to unpair/repair it every time I boot the PC for some reason I am yet to fathom. 

10 hours ago, spanx said:

I bought a BT 5 adaptor and the performance with the Switch Pro controller is ace. However I need to unpair/repair it every time I boot the PC for some reason I am yet to fathom. 

This maybe to do with how Windows treats the BT dongle. Power reasons. Windows can turn off the USB BT and other adaptors for power saving reasons. For some reason this leads to it un-pairing or something. Had this shit before so if you haven't sorted it tomorrow I'll smack the side of my head and remember the steps. It's basically delving into a fairly un-hidden menu and ticking a checkbox.

Although I probably shouldn't ever say something is a quick fix with windows, it's pretty great these days but tends to bite you on the arse when you get cocky and promise to solve a problem.

EDIT. Just drunken thoughts, no refunds. Recall from a fractured but none system damaging mind. Think if you enable it to wake your computer or stop windows from turning off the device it will prevent your issue. All settings, Devices, look to the right corner list, Devices and printers, File (at top left drop down explorer menu), Device manager, Bluetooth, look for your USB BT dongle, right click over it,  properties, power management tab and look for those check boxes for allowing wake/sleep. Probably wrong, it's well past my bedtime but nothing is permanent lol. Don't panic giving it a try, no bum steer.

13 hours ago, amc said:

@ MattyP Don't think it's to do with the Bluetooth version, 4, 5, lower etc. My laptop has a supposedly fairly decent and certainly modern 4.xx radio but it had issues. It only had a problem with Bluetooth Xbox One pads, fine for all other uses.There was no fix at the time. Only option was to buy the MS USB pad dongle.

Maybe certain hardware that's in a lot of machines but with a different hardware vendor name, not sure but think most Bluetooth radios are manufactured by intel and qualcomm etc but let others use and re brand to their own name? Maybe a driver issue that's been sorted but it had been going on for a couple of years when I had a problem with it in 2018/19. Lots of reports of people with the issue but obviously lots of people who had no problem too. Obviously down to certain hardware or said hardware's stack.

I'll do a bit of digging and see if they've fixed it with recent drivers and report back in this post later. Be nice if they have, I'll be able to flog these two MS USB dongles.

Yes could that the issue has been patched in a Windows update.

Odyssey G9's back in stock on Amazon,  so very, very tempted. They can't confirm if they are the new, fixed versions from Jluy/Aug though yet so I think I will wait a little longer, maybe.

1 hour ago, Len said:

Odyssey G9's back in stock on Amazon,  so very, very tempted. They can't confirm if they are the new, fixed versions from Jluy/Aug though yet so I think I will wait a little longer, maybe.

Missed it again, I think. :( But yeah, waiting for a confirmed July batch. 

Estimated shipping to the UK seems to be 6 weeks, which is apparently October sometime for the newer models. But, y'know. Given Samsung's lack of communication it's all third party anecdotes from talking to various suppliers.

Still can't get to keep my Switch Pro controller connected between sessions. It's absolutely fine once paired, can leave it idle for hours, play multiple games, etc... it stays connected perfectly. All the mapping from reWASD are great, and it's basically a perfect PC gamepad.

Until I reboot the PC. Then the device manager says it's paired, but it can't connect. It sort of connects/drops on a cycle, but I have to un-pair/re-pair. Then it's back to perfect again. It's not a big deal, paring each each time I boot is a 5 second job. I just don't understand why

Hello. My name is Curtis and i'd like to share with the circle:  i'm a 44 year old verteran, and joining this crowd at this exact moment in time was a stroke of genius. If i say so myself.

I saw what was coming with these lacklustre 'next-gen' launches and decided to future-proof myself against pointless expenditure.

I'm already playing optimal versions of so many games i love and have loved. And dabbling in curiosities i'd never normally be exposed to.

I am a PC gamer, but i don't like M&K. Is that okay? :lol:

6 hours ago, Curtis said:

Hello. My name is Curtis and i'd like to share with the circle:  i'm a 44 year old verteran, and joining this crowd at this exact moment in time was a stroke of genius. If i say so myself.

I saw what was coming with these lacklustre 'next-gen' launches and decided to future-proof myself against pointless expenditure.

I'm already playing optimal versions of so many games i love and have loved. And dabbling in curiosities i'd never normally be exposed to.

I am a PC gamer, but i don't like M&K. Is that okay? :lol:

Enjoy..... Went back to my PC for gaming when PC got the new Xbox releases  (Forza Horizon 4 release). Never looked back. Just want to upgrade my GPU next year and everything is good.

Out of interest have a first gen Ryzen 5 at the moment seems to run most stuff fine and have an onboard SSD. Don't think this will need tweeking really so just a 3080/3090 GPU next year? Any thoughts ? Currently only have 16GB RAM so may take that upto 32 at some point too. My current GPU is a GTX980ti which seems to be doing really well but then I'm happy with 1080p at high frame rates. Have a 4K monitor ready though as I needed to change that earlier in the year.

Yeah man, do what you like!

I think I use arcade stick the most, then 360 pad, then mouse and keyboard.

I will say that it's good to get proficient with all different types of input devices so that you can use the right tool for the job.

There are some games that really sing on mouse and keyboard and some games that are straight up unplayable on anything else.

Doesn't matter though, pc gaming is all about options. Don't worry about it. If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

On 14/09/2020 at 10:33, Rob Rule said:

Update on the G9: Amazon UK's got them in, and now so do I. Hubba.

Snap! :D

Couldn't resist any longer at the reduced price on Amazon US.

• 3 weeks later...

May I ask - what keyboard is that? I approve of it. Well, it's minimalist looks (if something with backlit keys can be called minimalist...) anyway!